Where is the classic start menu in Windows 7

i dont see the logic behind this, couldn't they just leave the option in there :no:

Well, they are trying really hard to push some of the new features such as Jump Lists and searching from the Start menu itself, both of which would be really awkward to implement with the "classic" Start menu. By removing it, Microsoft also cuts down on overall support calls because everyone using Windows 7 will be using the new Start menu, support agents will not need to guide a customer through different steps dependent on the Start menu style.

I too find no "classic" start menu in Windows 7 very annoying.

however, does anyone know how to automatically show All Programs by default when opening the start menu. clicking All Programs everytime is so freaking stupid.

Classic start menu. :no: It's like someone still wanting to use feather quills for writing a letter. (N)

however, does anyone know how to automatically show All Programs by default when opening the start menu. clicking All Programs everytime is so freaking stupid.

Then just hover over All Programs :) Should be less annoying now. :) (kidding)

Edited by djlegion

i dont see the logic behind this, couldn't they just leave the option in there :no:

No, they couldn't :)

Windows is evolving and people have to move with the times. They left the classic 'start' menu there through Windows XP and Windows Vista but if they just keep all of these options in it leaves unnecessary code and features in the codebase of Windows. I bet Microsoft did a usability study before they removed it and I bet they received data that a very low amount of people used that feature (That's what they normally do before they remove features. For example, that's what they did before they removed the 'sort' bar in Windows 7) :)

however, does anyone know how to automatically show All Programs by default when opening the start menu. clicking All Programs everytime is so freaking annoying.

I don't think it's possible. You could try pinning things to the Start menu that you use most often (which will also overcome the annoyance of your favorite programs being removed from the most frequently used list when pinning them to the taskbar).

however, does anyone know how to automatically show All Programs by default when opening the start menu. clicking All Programs everytime is so freaking annoying.

This seems like very unusual behavior. Why are you clicking All Programs all the time? Are you not making use of pinned programs on the taskbar or start menu? Or the start menu search function?

This seems like very unusual behavior. Why are you clicking All Programs all the time? Are you not making use of pinned programs on the taskbar or start menu? Or the start menu search function?

I don't always open the same things - so pinning is not worth it. Typing in what I want is a waste of time - when I could point to it with my mouse (like with classic menu) or couple of clicks (in All Programs).

for me the new style menu is too bloated - looks nice what not practial. classic menu was so lean...

I like the idea of replacing the 11 or so program shortcuts by simply opening All Programs automatically; I use a lot more than 11 programs and if I want 1-click access to a selection of the most important ones, I'll put them on the Quick Launch bar.

why are people still stuck on the classic menu? it's not intuitive and it looks ugly. The Vista/7 start menus are very intuitive, and easy to use, etc..... Do you guys just not like having it easy or what? :p

I bet Microsoft did a usability study before they removed it and I bet they received data that a very low amount of people used that feature (That's what they normally do before they remove features. For example, that's what they did before they removed the 'sort' bar in Windows 7) :)

Yeah, like how they removed TCP/IP over FireWire in Vista. What a load of BS to remove a feature because only a certain percentage of people used it. If anything they should have left it in Ultimate, or had a way to install the functionality after the fact. Hell, they insist on leaving in the Windows 3.1 font manager and grpconv.exe for Program Manager groups, they should at least give the same consideration to the start menu.

why are people still stuck on the classic menu? it's not intuitive and it looks ugly. The Vista/7 start menus are very intuitive, and easy to use, etc..... Do you guys just not like having it easy or what? :p

they are stuck with NT3.1 look , anything else is 'bloated'

i am glad they got raid from Classic start menu

mybe after few more releases start menu well go away all togather

Honestly, I most liked the XP start menu. It's both clean and very customizable. The way it's set it up now, there's way too much clicking involved in selecting a program from the All Programs menu (you have to scroll, then click on a program folder, then click on a program).

It's far easier to hover over the program you'd like. And in order to decrease bloat on the All Programs menu (e.g. to prevent it from getting completely out of hand) I simply group similar programs into one folder (e.g. Disk Utilities, System Utilities, Programming, Video Tools, etc).

In the Win7/Vista menu, it does make it easier to move around folder and create new ones though. I'm sure I'd get used to it...

-e

...And in order to decrease bloat on the All Programs menu (e.g. to prevent it from getting completely out of hand) I simply group similar programs into one folder (e.g. Disk Utilities, System Utilities, Programming, Video Tools, etc).

I do the exact same thing. This means I don't have to scroll in the "All Programs" part of the 'start' menu in Windows Vista and Windows 7 (therefore, less clicks than you actually stated in this improvement over Windows XPs start menu ;))

I guess some people are "mousers" - what i call people that can't do anything on the PC without a mouse. If my mouse isn't operating i can use the keyboard to change almost every single feature almost just a quick. I find it waay easier to just use the windows key with my left hand and start typing a few letters and hit enter - i don't even have to select it first before because it automatically chooses the top option (which is 95% of the time correct).

On Windows XP or the classic menu you click Start - Programs - Video Tools - WinAVi

On Vista/Win7 or the "new" menu you click start - type "winavi" - press enter. (even if it's the same "video tools" folder)

I understand that choice is good sometimes but sometimes it's bad, especially for progress. If everyone had a choice about what happens to the country we'd probably be stuck in the early 1800s with technology/economy. Sometimes saying - take it or leave it is an touch rule to make but sometimes it's just what you gotta do.

Well, they are trying really hard to push some of the new features such as Jump Lists and searching from the Start menu itself, both of which would be really awkward to implement with the "classic" Start menu.

But (from my perspective) that's exactly what is meant by "classic menu"--they shouldn't try to implement Search in the Start menu. It ****es me off to no end.

After a clean boot, I have to wait and wait and wait as I'm typing "cmd[enter]" just to get to a command prompt (for example) because the hard drive's still grinding away while the system finishes loading at the same time it's doing a search.

Same thing if everything got paged to disk.

i am glad they got raid from Classic start menu

agree. The old start menu is so bad and forward and use the great Vista / Win7 start menu :woot:

But (from my perspective) that's exactly what is meant by "classic menu"--they shouldn't try to implement Search in the Start menu. It ****es me off to no end.

After a clean boot, I have to wait and wait and wait as I'm typing "cmd[enter]" just to get to a command prompt (for example) because the hard drive's still grinding away while the system finishes loading at the same time it's doing a search.

Same thing if everything got paged to disk.

That's superfetch doing it's thing, nothing to do with indexing which is the start menu search.