Where is the classic start menu in Windows 7

Here's an idea. How about if you want to use the classic Start menu you go back to Win2k or something similar. I just don't get it. These changes are made with usability in mind. If you don't want the usability improvements, go get something that you like.

:o File Manager doesn't work any more? Good Lord! :laugh:

File Manager was last included as an actual... file manager in Windows ME. Shortcuts to File Manger existed in both Windows 2000 and XP, but they just launched Windows Explorer. File Manager has been removed entirely as of Vista.

• 1 year later...

To those saying that the new Start menu doesn't have disadvantages when compared to XP's: Are you pretending to think that for the sake of argument? You can't really know what you're talking about and believe that.

Let's start with this "just type the name of the program" strawman. That's just dumb. You're supposed to remember the name of every app on your computer? Yeah, what was that free demuxing program I downloaded a couple days ago? Better write that down on a piece of paper so I can type it in next time I want to use it.

If you know WTF you're doing, you ORGANIZE your applications into groups, like "graphics apps", "audio apps", get it? And should you discover how to do that in Windows 7 (because you won't find it in the Windows Help), it's still broken because the submenus don't open when you roll over them. How ignorant does it get? Pop-up menu functionality has remained a standard for what, 25 years? And Microsoft breaks it NOW? And why is it only broken in the Start menu, when other menus in Windows 7 DO pop open as expected?

Grow up and stop attacking people who want BETTER functionality for everybody, just because their argument reveals that you didn't know something. So you didn't know you could create application groups in XP. GET OVER IT. Now you know. Instead of feeling bitter about having learned something, you should realize that if YOU didn't know about it, perhaps the failure was Microsoft's in making the function so obscure.

Which leads to the other ridiculous argument that a feature like this was removed because it wasn't used. Again, it wasn't used because it was HIDDEN. Do you know how many people don't realize that you don't have to put up with an asinine, glaring white background all day? Windows has had customizable color schemes since at least 3.1, so you don't need to read black text off the surface of a light bulb for hours at a time. Yet how many of you are still doing so?

There are plenty of other UI regressions in Windows 7 that can't be explained away by "no one used it." Like the "+" indicators next to folders in Explorer, which showed whether they were empty or not. Now those are inexplicably missing unless you happen to roll the cursor into the left pane. Why? So now we're supposed to roll the cursor over every pixel on the screen, hunting for Easter eggs? Oh, and now those "+" signs (universally understood to mean "more") have been replaced by meaningless triangles. WTF?

Microsoft advanced the state of GUIs more than anyone else through the '90s, but has now clearly lost its way and is flailing for the sake of making things different. This may occasionally produce an improvement, but stop hailing ALL of it as an improvement, because quite a bit of it is ****.

I wish old threads would automatically lock after a set period of inactivity. :rolleyes:

Eitherway, it's gone. And I wouldn't hold my breath to see it re-appear in Windows 8 either.

retro_virus.png

/THREAD

• 1 year later...

Windows is evolving and people have to move with the times. They left the classic 'start' menu there through Windows XP and Windows Vista but if they just keep all of these options in it leaves unnecessary code and features in the codebase of Windows. I bet Microsoft did a usability study before they removed it and I bet they received data that a very low amount of people used that feature (That's what they normally do before they remove features. For example, that's what they did before they removed the 'sort' bar in Windows 7) smile.gif

I had to register just so I could respond to this. Are you really that nieve? I used to work for Microsoft and their first priority is not what the users actually want, it's what Microsoft wants you to think you need in order so they can continue to make a ridiculous amount of money. Those so called "studies" they do are pointless and are not for the purpose you think. And "Windows is evolving", that one was funny. Seriously you are like a perfect customer for Microsoft, they have you hooked. NO, people DON'T have to move with the times....the times are just fine the way they are. I really am not trying to be mean here but you have really got to wake up and stop shoving this corporate giant crap down people's throats, they get enough of that from MS. The people who wanted the classic start menu because it WAS PERFECT AND NOTHING WRONG WITH IT are absolutely correct. The simple answer is the classic start menu didn't have the evolutionary futuristic look that Microsoft is going for, that's all. MS is known for taking away features that are totally helpful and replacing them with total pains. How about the "Up Directory" button? Remember that one from XP? Why did that go away? Or how about network properties window? What was wrong with the way it was before? The XP way was totally easy and then MS goes and complicates the view by putting things in totally different spots. In fact, that is what most version of Windows are... just a pretty new theme/skin with things moved all around so you think you are getting something new.

Bottom line, Microsoft does most of their changes because of the basic software busines rule: change=profit. It used to be necessity=profit but companies like MS, AT&T, Verizon, etc have figured out you don't need necessity to create a need. They have figured out you can actually manufacture need out of thin air. Want an example? You have a cell phone I'm sure, do you know what tethering is? That is where you can have your laptop use the internet connection from your mobile phone. That is 100% a feature OF THE PHONE, not the carrier. Well cell carriers work with cell manufacturers to make sure they have control on whether those phone-specific features turn on, like tethering, so you have to pay them in order to use. There ya go.... AT&T/Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile just completely manufacturered a product out of thin air. How would you feel if you went into a grocery store to buy a 2-liter of soda and the cashier tells you if other people are going to be drinking that soda you have to pay more for it? That is exactly what they did and people are too stupid to realize otherwise. I know I've kind of veered off here, but I could seriously mention dozens of examples where companies do this and it's especially bad in the cell industry. But the point is, don't underestimate the level of which these companies will stoop to in order to make hundreds of millions of dollars. Please, open your eyes and realize what these people are doing right in front of you.

• Like 2

Thing is, this thread is exactly like those about Windows 8 as far as the whole "start" thing is concerned. So, I can see why he resurrected it. hah!

I had to register just so I could respond to this. Are you really that nieve? I used to work for Microsoft and their first priority is not what the users actually want, it's what Microsoft wants you to think you need in order so they can continue to make a ridiculous amount of money. Those so called "studies" they do are pointless and are not for the purpose you think. And "Windows is evolving", that one was funny. Seriously you are like a perfect customer for Microsoft, they have you hooked. NO, people DON'T have to move with the times....the times are just fine the way they are. I really am not trying to be mean here but you have really got to wake up and stop shoving this corporate giant crap down people's throats, they get enough of that from MS. The people who wanted the classic start menu because it WAS PERFECT AND NOTHING WRONG WITH IT are absolutely correct. The simple answer is the classic start menu didn't have the evolutionary futuristic look that Microsoft is going for, that's all. MS is known for taking away features that are totally helpful and replacing them with total pains. How about the "Up Directory" button? Remember that one from XP? Why did that go away? Or how about network properties window? What was wrong with the way it was before? The XP way was totally easy and then MS goes and complicates the view by putting things in totally different spots. In fact, that is what most version of Windows are... just a pretty new theme/skin with things moved all around so you think you are getting something new.

Bottom line, Microsoft does most of their changes because of the basic software busines rule: change=profit. It used to be necessity=profit but companies like MS, AT&T, Verizon, etc have figured out you don't need necessity to create a need. They have figured out you can actually manufacture need out of thin air. Want an example? You have a cell phone I'm sure, do you know what tethering is? That is where you can have your laptop use the internet connection from your mobile phone. That is 100% a feature OF THE PHONE, not the carrier. Well cell carriers work with cell manufacturers to make sure they have control on whether those phone-specific features turn on, like tethering, so you have to pay them in order to use. There ya go.... AT&T/Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile just completely manufacturered a product out of thin air. How would you feel if you went into a grocery store to buy a 2-liter of soda and the cashier tells you if other people are going to be drinking that soda you have to pay more for it? That is exactly what they did and people are too stupid to realize otherwise. I know I've kind of veered off here, but I could seriously mention dozens of examples where companies do this and it's especially bad in the cell industry. But the point is, don't underestimate the level of which these companies will stoop to in order to make hundreds of millions of dollars. Please, open your eyes and realize what these people are doing right in front of you.

Welcome to Neowin :)

I submitted that post over three years ago. I was quite young then, and I've learnt a lot since then. I wouldn't have made that post with the knowledge and experience I now have, three years later. However, thank you very much for the detailed post and insight; I appreciate the explanation :)

I will point out, though, that you believing the first Start Menu was "perfect" is somewhat naive. Few, if any, things in life are perfect.

At Neowin, we usually close topics that have been resurrected, if they are no longer relevant. So I'll close this thread. Please message me if you disagree with this action.

Thread closed