Anyone want a QUAKE LIVE invite?

Well the engine used for COD4 is based on the COD2 engine, which way way back was slightly based on the Q3 engine.

But no, COD4 isn't really based on the Q3 engine at all, maybe it has some old similar code from COD2.

Actually, it is. IW has used the Quake engine as the underlying coding structure through their games, even Call of Duty 4 shares similar coding methods and file structure.

BUT, it has nothing to do with the graphics or gameplay, that is up to the developers to form and shape.

Actually, it is. IW has used the Quake engine as the underlying coding structure through their games, even Call of Duty 4 shares similar coding methods and file structure.

BUT, it has nothing to do with the graphics or gameplay, that is up to the developers to form and shape.

yup, same engine, different textures and some tweaked coding.

More than "some" tweaking, it'd be fairer to say that the engine borrows heavily from Q3's engine structure and design than anything else. I mean, Valve's source engine is based on the Half-life 1 engine, which is based on the Quake 2 engine, but you wouldn't say Source == Quake 2 outrightly.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, Quake live is just as fast-paced and crazy as Quake 3 was back in the day. I should know, I suck at it!

Well thats what I figured, because I know the config setups are organized are very similar to Quake 3. But I really don't think the engine is based on the Q3 engine whatsoever.

Even when you look at the doom and quake engine, their file structure is pretty similar and things like cvars, etc. Although the engines are completely different.

IMO, I think it just has more to do with the developers being trained with the Q3 engine, maybe it makes it easier for them to structure the coding like Q3, idk.

The same commands work, the same tweaks work, and the same odd engine glitches exist. In quake 3, its optimal to max your fps to 125, its an odd thing, but many old schoolers will agree, it enables you to make jumps that normally you cant.

The engine seems to run the same, just that really its bigger textures and different ai and other tweaks. But other than that, the engine really still seems quite similar to the quake3 game still.

I havent played this back since 2000. Quake Con was awesome back then.

Does this version allow for Rocket Arena settings?

Hm if anyone has an invite left....

I am excited for these free games.

Fear Combat was great.

Battlefield Heroes (who knows when that will be done but that sounds neat)

Quake Live (I never knew)....definitely sounds sweet.

Whoa, settle down there tiger.

Quake 3 was and is an average hyper-shooter which only had its looks going for it back in the good old day, in my opinion. I am just afraid that when you take away the looks all you are left with is a pretty meh shooter. And don't lecture me on games, specially not with you being 14 years old, I played games before you were even born.

My age doesn't mean anything, and you should know that being how old you are. You say it like graphics means alot. It's not like we're toying with an engine equivalent to Doom's or Aleph One. This is a fully 3D and stable first person shooter. It's engine is no different from the Source engine save for its prettiness and physics. Its textures are now the equivalent to what we've seen in 2004. I'm afraid you seem to think that this shooter has absolutely no graphical value to it whatsoever.

It's about the gameplay not the graphics. And your opinion about an "average hyper shooter" is an opinion and nothing else. I recall Quake3 being used in plenty of tournaments and events, equal to that of UT.

My age doesn't mean anything, and you should know that being how old you are. You say it like graphics means alot. It's not like we're toying with an engine equivalent to Doom's or Aleph One. This is a fully 3D and stable first person shooter. It's engine is no different from the Source engine save for its prettiness and physics. It's models are now the equivilant to what we've seen in 2004. I'm afraid you seem to think that this shooter has absolutely no graphical value to it whatsoever.

It's about the gameplay not the graphics. And your opinion about an "average hyper shooter" is an opinion and nothing else. I recall Quake3 being used in plenty of tournaments and events, equal to that of UT.

Wait, are you comparing it to the Source engine and then just listing the things it doesn't feature, plus you even list two of the biggest aspects of the Source engine, pathetic :rofl:

I can't take the rest of your post serious after a comparison like that. ( Not that your post made any sense in the first place, damn :| )

It's a great game with almost near perfect online coding and hit detection.

It pits players against each other, in an equal setting, in a world with set physics to it. those who learn those physics, can become a neo sort of in the game, moving quickly from place to place, and even knowing where to track others. It really is a game of sort of learning and skill to it, which makes it great for those with a competitive nature.

Wait, are you comparing it to the Source engine and then just listing the things it doesn't feature, plus you even list two of the biggest aspects of the Source engine, pathetic :rofl:

I can't take the rest of your post serious after a comparison like that. ( Not that your post made any sense in the first place, damn :| )

I listed the only two things that are superior about the Source engine, thus (sadly) attempting to prove how the Source engine is simply superior in those two areas, and Quake 3 is the same thing minus a little bit on both.

Physics in Quake 3 don't matter as much as they do in Half Life 2. For instance, if you strip away the gravity gun and the ragdolls, you end up without a need for such a complex physics engine like Havoc. Quake's physics would then fit perfectly in its place.

On the other hand, you're left with the graphics. A graphics engine only plays a part in functionality to a certain point. You can only utilize the graphics to differentiate between, for example, two different enemies, or two different guns. Once you hit that point, the development of shaders and textures become virtually pointless other than to serve as eye candy. Of course, this is not entirely true seeing as Crysis takes advantage of destructable structures and hiding in grass, and Splinter Cell hides in the shadows. But if you're smart enough, you see my point. And plus, this isn't a Crysis type of shooter.

I should have revised before I posted, that was a silly comparison. So let me take that sentence out and let's see if you can read it.

My age doesn't mean anything, and you should know that being how old you are. You say it like graphics means alot. It's not like we're toying with an engine equal to Doom's or Aleph One. This is a fully 3D and stable first person shooter. Its textures are now the equivalent to what we've seen in 2004. I'm afraid you seem to think that this shooter has absolutely no graphical value to it whatsoever.

Edited by Recon415

It's back up, but my invites are gone, I was only able to give 1 of the 5 out =\

Sorry guys, particularly Blindlabel013, PricklyPoo and shakey who all literally missed out on it by a few seconds (The time between me going to the invite section and pasting their emails to the time QL went down).

If my invites return, those 3 will be the first in line.

EDIT: That was quick! You guys got your invites after all. So did Jase.

1 invite left! Next POSTER gets it!

thx for the invite. when i get it, if i get any, ill post about it.

As fair as any shooter game can get online. Fun will depend really on your attitude about the game at hand lol.

I listed the only two things that are superior about the Source engine, thus (sadly) attempting to prove how the Source engine is simply superior in those two areas, and Quake 3 is the same thing minus a little bit on both.

Physics in Quake 3 don't matter as much as they do in Half Life 2. For instance, if you strip away the gravity gun and the ragdolls, you end up without a need for such a complex physics engine like Havoc. Quake's physics would then fit perfectly in its place.

On the other hand, you're left with the graphics. A graphics engine only plays a part in functionality to a certain point. You can only utilize the graphics to differentiate between, for example, two different enemies, or two different guns. Once you hit that point, the development of shaders and textures become virtually pointless other than to serve as eye candy. Of course, this is not entirely true seeing as Crysis takes advantage of destructable structures and hiding in grass, and Splinter Cell hides in the shadows. But if you're smart enough, you see my point. And plus, this isn't a Crysis type of shooter.

I should have revised before I posted, that was a silly comparison. So let me take that sentence out and let's see if you can read it.

I'm sorry but your posts are a joke. I don't think I've seen such daft arguments in my whole life? You constantly just strip away features from engines and they say "There, now you are left with the Quake engine". Yes, take engine graphics engine and remove features, you are basically going to end up with a simple 3D engine. That's how engines evolve today, by adding features and improving the graphical side of the engine by the use of advanced effects, improving textures, mimicking real-life effects etc. There's a reason why big companies like AMD ( ATi ) and nVidia pumps out out GPUs every other month and people actually buy them. There's a reason why new consoles are launched every few years, there is a reason why games are constantly pushing the envelope on the graphical side - Because people actually care. Gameplay and graphics go hand in hand, like it or not. Also, you need to reword that entire post to make me read it, I had people approaching me on messenger laughing at the post because it sounds like it's written by a seagull.

The above was aimed at FPS / TPS games mostly because they are the games trying to create user immersion by getting close to realistic looks.

And just to make it perfectly clear, I can play games with older graphics engine. My concerns about this game was the fact that I never really got into the "Quake" gameplay and combined with inferior graphics, I wasn't sure whether I'd like it or not.