Favorite new hotkeys

Update: I added a nicely formatted cheat sheet here.

If you're not aware, a bunch of great hotkeys have been added in Win7 (I seem to find new ones all the time!)

Here are a few:

General

Win+Up Maximize

Win+Down Restore / Minimize

Win+Left Snap to left (pressing again will jump over to the next monitor)

Win+Right Snap to right

Win+Shift+Left Jump to monitor on the left

Win+Shift+Right Jump to monior on the right

Win+Home Minimize / Restore all other windows

Win+T Focus the first taskbar entry

(pressing again will cycle through them, you can can arrow around)

Win+Space Peek at the desktop

Win+G Bring gadgets to the top of the z-order

Win+P External display options

Win+X Mobility Center (same as Vista, but handy)

Win + # key Launches a new instance of the application in the Nth slot on the taskbar.

Example: Win+1 launches first pinned app, Win+2 launches second, etc.

Explorer

Alt+P Toggle the preview pane

Taskbar modifiers

Shift+Click on icon Open a new instance

Middle-click on icon Open a new instance

Ctrl+Shift+Click on icon Open a new instance with Admin privileges

Shift+Right-click on icon Show window menu (with Restore / Minimize / Move / etc).

(Note that the normal way to access this menu is to right-click on the window thumbnail)

Shift+Right-click on a grouped icon will show Restore All / Minimize All / Close All, etc.

Ctrl + Click on a grouped icon will cycle between the windows (or tabs) in the group.

Anyone have a favorite hotkey that I missed? :)

Edited by Brandon Live
  • Like 1

Thanks for the hotkeys, I think the maximize one will be useful. One thing I didn't like was that Win + E now opens your Library instead of My Computer like it did in vista :(, and my taskbar shuffle app won't work, so I can't use the middle click to close applications on the taskbar.

I am not certain if these are new (probably not)

Win+E - Libraries

Win+U - Accessibility

Win+D - Desktop

Win+F - Search

Win+L - Lock

Win+B - Unknown

Win+M - Seems to minimize

Win+Number - Seems to start a new instance of the window, according to the superbar position.

I use Win+R and Win+E religiously for run and explorer but that's nothing to do with 7 specifically.

I might get used the Win+Space for the peek function though. I've thrown a very detailed Sysinfo gadget on my desktop that's been growing on me.

Added the Win+# and Win+Home hotkeys. I tried to format it better with spaces but they all got trimmed, and it won't let me do a table =/

I also put a nicely formatted version on my blog.

Edited by Brandon Live

Win+T Focus the first taskbar entry

(pressing again will cycle through them, you can can arrow around)

Win+Shift+T Cycle left (arrows do nothing)

Win++ (that's the plus key, next to the backspace)

and

Win+-

will activate the magnifier with its awesome new full screen zoom (which can be configured to lens mode as well). Stumbled upon this by accident in the PDC build, and very much like the feature. I've noticed that the Aero parts such as title bars get a nice filtering effect on them so they don't look quite as bad when magnified, but sadly this doesn't yet carry over to the actual window contents (making the intermediate zoom levels such as 125% look hideous).

Note: This currently doesn't seem to work with the numpad + and - keys, only the set next to the horizontal row of numbers. Would like to see that fixed. :)

Also, I have so much love for Win+P. It actually works! :D

Win+Shift+T Cycle left (arrows do nothing)

What do you mean the arrows do nothing? If I press Win+T or Win+Shift+T and then press the left or right arrows, it moves around between the different entries on the taskbar (and you can use up/down to move into or out of the thumbnail list for an app).

Doesn't do anything for me....?

Make sure the button on your scroll is configure for a Middle click on the mouse properties.

What do you mean the arrows do nothing? If I press Win+T or Win+Shift+T and then press the left or right arrows, it moves around between the different entries on the taskbar (and you can use up/down to move into or out of the thumbnail list for an app).

Arrow keys don't work on my laptop, either. I haven't tried out my desktop, yet.

Make sure the button on your scroll is configure for a Middle click on the mouse properties.

Arrow keys don't work on my laptop, either. I haven't tried out my desktop, yet.

Make sure you let go of Win first.

Make sure you let go of Win first.

Yep, that's where I was going wrong.

Loving these shortcuts. :)