Controller Won't Charge or Turn On...Broken?

As the title says , I haven't played the PS3 for a few weeks but it seems the controller won't turn on or charge so I assume its broken and I will be going to the shop to get it replaced.

Put the USB charger in the PC and try it?

There's a very small hole on the back of the DS3 also, try putting a pin in there whilst it's plugged into the charger - It's the reset button (on the right hand side).

Yeah I tried it in the PC, I always charge it in the PC anyway.

So I tried to reset button and no luck, I am thinking duffed battery.

Hmmm :/

Strange one, I don't think I've read about a DS3 dieing yet.

Maybe because you left it for weeks with no charge? Think Sethos leaves it for months though and his controller is okay :rofl:

What I'd do is leave it plugged in to a charge source overnight - In case the battery has gone "flat" and maybe it won't show the flashing charge lights for a few hours or so?

I've left one of mine for longer than you have owned yours, and it's fine. I think you should take it back while it's still in warranty, even if it does come back to life. Sounds like it's faulty.

I've left one of mine for longer than you have owned yours, and it's fine. I think you should take it back while it's still in warranty, even if it does come back to life. Sounds like it's faulty.

Yeah infact a quick look on Yahoo Answers finds a question like mine if not the same.

It's not charging at all so back to the shop thank god I took out 2 years warranty.

Yeah infact a quick look on Yahoo Answers finds a question like mine if not the same.

It's not charging at all so back to the shop thank god I took out 2 years warranty.

Sony apparently will replace PS3 controllers anyway...

Sony to replace PS3 controllers

Wireless pad batteries will last for "many years" - spokesperson

Sony has told GamesIndustry.biz that the company will provide a service to replace wireless PS3 controllers "when and if" their lithium batteries degrade.

A report on GamesRadar.com observed that the pads do not feature removable battery packs, arguing this would render them "effectively useless" as wireless controllers after a certain number of charges.

This, the article claimed, would leave consumers "forced to shell out" for replacements.

But a Sony spokesperson told GI.biz, "This is a purely speculative story and is largely untrue. The latest generation of Lithium Polymer batteries hardly suffer any memory effect at all, so it'll be many years before there's any degradation in terms of battery performance."

The spokesperson went on to confirm, "When and if this happens, then of course we will be providing a service to exchange these items."

A European price point for the pads has yet to be announced, but yesterday SCEA announced they will retail for USD 49.99 (EUR 39). It was also confirmed that PS3 owners will be able to charge and use their controllers via a supplied USB cable.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony...ps3-controllers

I'd leave it plugged in once overnight, then get it replaced if no luck.

I wonder if it was caused by constantly charging it via your PC which is 5V Where the DS3 takes 3.7V

Surely the DS3 would only take what it requires which would be 3.7V. Sorry to hear the DS3 has broke but you should be able to get a replacement easily (Y)

I wonder if it was caused by constantly charging it via your PC which is 5V Where the DS3 takes 3.7V

Is that true?

I've been charging mine from my PC. I'm sure lots of other people do as well.

Way to get me paranoid :p

USB voltage is between 4.75 and 5.25 at 500mA (iirc) so even the PS3 is charging it at the same level, using a laptop is no different.

I'm not sure how it works, but I suppose the device would only draw what it needs? And that's why you can power more than one thing at a time from a single port.

I've been thinking about splicing another micro usb connector onto the end of one of my cables, like a ? shape, so that I could charge the controller and keypad at the same time. (if I ever needed to lol)

Indeed, it only uses what it needs.

You'll notice that with a lot of electronics, say battery chargers while we're on the subject, will output roughly 2.8v but batteries are only 1.2v typically. (in regards to AA's) That is because most battery chargers also accept AAA/D's, just like USB is used on a wide range of devices.

/physics mode off :geek: I'm a bit loose on the subject, so forgive me physics gods on NW :p

How long is the warranty for the DS3?

According to the last page if it's battery related it will be replace "forever".

But for anything else failing, it'll just be however long your standard PS3 warranty it (1 year for UK).

How long is the warranty for the DS3?

I think standard its a year but I took out 2 years insurance as well so incase I drop it or something :p

The bloke in the shop thinks its faulty so just on the safe side he just gave me a brand new one but he said its rare to find one go faulty so quickly.

I'm still wondering how you guys can charge the controller through your laptops. Whenever I try do do that the lights never start blinking. It has only worked for me on the PS3's USB ports.

It just naturally works for me, I plug it in and it installs some drivers and it charges.

Yeah, it's recognized by windows as a controller (although it doesn't work), but do the lights blink or does it charge silently?