2k3 and the amazing disapearing bandwidth

I have a friend on a very fast connection who after installing 2k3 on his system has bandwidth limitations between 150 -180 KB instead of say 2MB. Were both looking thru services and whatnot to see if there is anything holding it back, aperently we can't find anything. He upgraded from XP and had no problems with that. We have no explanation for this, please help!

Alright, this is actually my box, just havent been able to post since i just signed onto the boards. It is a completely fresh install of 2k3. The problem seems to be that most of the time I am capped at 250k/sec, when i know i can do at least 2megs/sec. There are only a very few instances in which i have been able to reach that mark again, but from sites i have known to be able to get high speeds, it is capped.

So i was wondering if anyone knows of any service settings or anything to try, because i have tried enabling every service, as well as disabling almost all of them, and neither works.

Alright, this is actually my box, just havent been able to post since i just signed onto the boards. It is a completely fresh install of 2k3. The problem seems to be that most of the time I am capped at 250k/sec, when i know i can do at least 2megs/sec. There are only a very few instances in which i have been able to reach that mark again, but from sites i have known to be able to get high speeds, it is capped.

So i was wondering if anyone knows of any service settings or anything to try, because i have tried enabling every service, as well as disabling almost all of them, and neither works.

you are confusing your bits and bytes.

2 MBits/sec is 240-250KB/sec

So, you're going at your max speed.

Again, none of this is really of any help, I know my speeds, they are just typos, actually, they arent even typos, im just throwin in different standards in the same statement to save space. Anyway, for those of you who are confused, I am being capped at 250k/sec, when usually i get 2megabytes A second

Again, none of this is really of any help, I know my speeds, they are just typos, actually, they arent even typos, im just throwin in different standards in the same statement to save space. Anyway, for those of you who are confused, I am being capped at 250k/sec, when usually i get 2megabytes A second

Mate, you CAN'T get "2 megabytes/sec" in a home connection... but 2 megaBITS/sec it's possible....

If you are getting 250 kB/sec it's ok... but if you get 250 kb/s maybe there are a problem...

Note 250 kB/sec is 250 kBYTES/sec and 250 kb/sec is 250 kBITS/sec... the difference in in the lowercase "b" or the uppercase "B".... b = bits, B = Bytes...

Check that... ;)

Dear lord, if you havent figured out by now, this is not a home connection, this is a T3 connection, so yes, I do get 2megabytes a second. But again for some reason i am capped at 250kB/sec. And yes I know that 2megabytes a second is not the highest a T3 can go, but that is what i get.

Dear lord, if you havent figured out by now, this is not a home connection, this is a T3 connection, so yes, I do get 2megabytes a second. But again for some reason i am capped at 250kB/sec. And yes I know that 2megabytes a second is not the highest a T3 can go, but that is what i get.

Nope, I haven't figured that mate... I left the cristal ball at work... sorry... :rolleyes:

Anyways, back to your problem... looks really weird... maybe some issues with NIC drivers...??? Check the NIC values in the Control Panel... :cool:

If it helps anybody out, Im thinking it may be something with a port bw limiting issue, since on occaison I do get my old speeds back, but in general they are slow, so Im thinking it may be a set of ports are limited, and others arent.

You can't upgrade a client OS with a server OS. How did he mange to do it?

Actually I installed Windows XP Professional last night. This morning I popped my Windows Server 2003 in and got a "Warning" message that told me it was a bad idea to install it and is not recommended, clicked OK and went right on installing it-it was as easy as pie!

If it helps anybody out, Im thinking it may be something with a port bw limiting issue, since on occaison I do get my old speeds back, but in general they are slow, so Im thinking it may be a set of ports are limited, and others arent.

I'm almost sure there is not a limiting bandwidth feature in Win2003... really weird....

If I get some idea I'll be posting... :blink:

I popped my Windows Server 2003 in and got a "Warning" message that told me it was a bad idea to install it and is not recommended

what warning message? i get an error message saying it's not possible. :o :crazy:

I have now tried my system using a different nic since before i using my onboard lan support, and even with the new nic the same problem still exists, so it is something inside windows limiting the bandwidth.

If you really did upgrade from XP to 2003 (yes is it possable), that is the problem right there ;)

No Its Not Possible. Put your 2003 CD in and start setup from an XP HE or XP Pro Box, it'll tell you immediately you cannot upgrade.

End of that.

between me and the T3, there is a major firewall, but before the install of 2k3, winxp worked fine with this firewall and still allowed me the full bandwidth. So besides that, there is nothing, and I dont have the windows firewall enabled, this is a physical firewall in place by the T3 provider. And Im also sure that the provider did not cap the service, since the install was done in a few hours and the problems started immediately after install and were not there previous to it.

click start, run, type: gpedit.msc, select Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Network, and double click QoS Packet Scheduler. In the right hand window you will see "Limit reservable bandwidth, double click on it, check "Enabled", then set bandwidth limit to zero - Done!!