2k3 and the amazing disapearing bandwidth

click start, run, type: gpedit.msc, select Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Network, and double click QoS Packet Scheduler. In the right hand window you will see "Limit reservable bandwidth, double click on it, check "Enabled", then set bandwidth limit to zero - Done!!

it doesn't turn out too well tho

click start, run, type: gpedit.msc, select Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Network, and double click QoS Packet Scheduler. In the right hand window you will see "Limit reservable bandwidth, double click on it, check "Enabled", then set bandwidth limit to zero - Done!!

That's is a myth for noobs... :p

That reserved bandwidth is ONLY used if you (or your service provider) are using some device or software QoS aware (QoS = Quality of Service)... :cool:

It's not an issue with QoS, since it cannot limit that much bandwidth.

Seeing as the connection wasn't effected by XP Pro and only Server 2k3, it sounds like a services problem.

Did you set your server to have a 'role' yet? If you did, try removing that and see if there is still a problem.

In your NIC cards settings, make sure that your TCP/IP isn't filtering any ports... this could also have a dramatic effect on speed.

Hope that helps. :D

Alright, I have already done all the Qos stuff yesterday, removed it plus set it to 0, even if it was enabled, it wouldnt make too much of a difference since it sets aside 20%, and I have a 3.5meg max, and still only getting 250k, there is a lot missing out of that.

Hadnt given it a role yet either, also last night made sure that there wasnt one set. And there are no tcp filterings set up either.

try changing the RWIN ( recieve window ) to a larger size.

someone said that 2mbit is 250KB/S:

I have 2Mbit ( 2048 kbps ) and thats not 240 KB/s - 250 KB/s , it maxes out a 220 KB/S.

same problem here. i used to get a near-constant 1,000kB/sec from my isp's usenet servers, but now i'm getting 150kB if i'm lucky. what's up with this?

fuzz

Maybe you guys did not set network mask and bit range correctly in the QoS service... on Win2k3 Server, you have to manually install and configure it... unlike Win2k Advance Server, this will not be correct by default or installed by default...

hmm I'm having the same problem with my 2k3 server I run, I only get around 1.9 megabits per second (190kB/sec), while on my other pc (the one I'm posting from now) I get my full speed of 3.5 megabits per second (350kB/sec)

:blink:

Well I have a 2k3 Server and it seems to be fine. Its my firewall/gateway and fileserver. On my lan from others pc's I am getting 10MB a second, which is a bit less than a 100mbps lan allows (i made all the cables myself so that could be a factor there). I also have gigabit and from that I get about 25MB a second (limited by my the raid array's hard drives). My internet connection seems to fine also, I have Att Broadband and I get about 180k a second from their servers. So it seems as if 2k3 is working fine for me, and its not the os.

Well for hardware comparison to others out there, I am running an amd 2100+, soyo kt333 dragon ultra mb, 512ddr ram, radeon 9k card, 2 40gig hd's one wd and one maxtor. I have tried the ethernet using the onboard generic realtek, as well as my dlink pci card.

Oh well, it has been too long, so Ive decided to go back to xp for now anyway, cant stand losing that much bandwidth for no reason, really need it. Maybe ill go back to 2k3 once i can buy it.

Oh well, it has been too long, so Ive decided to go back to xp for now anyway, cant stand losing that much bandwidth for no reason, really need it. Maybe ill go back to 2k3 once i can buy it.

Why not do a dual boot for awhile? Partition the hard drive give each OS a piece. Then go to xyz.com and see how fast a file downloads in xp, then you can boot up into 2k3 and do the same thing. This would rule out the o.s. You allready ruled out the ethernet card. Maybe check the cable but I doubt thats it. It also could be that your ISP is under alot of stress and they are going really slow.

edit: my stupid post removed

as you said before uniacid: if you dont have something smart to say, dont post it

Edited by giantsnyy2002

Alright, just finished going back to xp, and now the connection seems to be even faster than it was before, most likely cause i switched to the pci nic instead of the onboard. But it is quite apparent now that it was 2k3 that was causing the missing bandwidth, while downloading drivers in 2k3, most sites i would get a max of 330k/sec, when back in xp 2.5megs/sec

Alright, just finished going back to xp, and now the connection seems to be even faster than it was before, most likely cause i switched to the pci nic instead of the onboard.  But it is quite apparent now that it was 2k3 that was causing the missing bandwidth, while downloading drivers in 2k3, most sites i would get a max of 330k/sec, when back in xp 2.5megs/sec

I don't believe it :-)

I'm going to jump in here a little late and ask - How have you been measuring your speeds?

Yea, like I said in my other post I get different speeds

Yes, I made sure to disable my onboard nic before using this one, and as for the speed tests, I am having friends do them from other known ftp's to mine. Using the same one everytime