Teen orders a ubuntu dell laptop, misses online classes

MCFARLAND (WKOW) -- Abbie Schubert paid more than $1,100 for a Dell laptop hoping to enroll in online classes at Madison Area Technical College, or MATC.

But something stopped her: she bought an operating system for her computer she never heard of, Ubuntu.

That's an operating system for your computer similar to Windows that contains Linux. It's highly regarded among some people and extremely popular with certain circles of computer users because it's free.

Schubert says she ordered her laptop online at Dell.com expecting to buy your classic bread-and-butter computer.

She didn't realize until the next morning her laptop defaulted to the Ubuntu operating system.

"It's been a mess," she said. "I regret ordering the computer."

Schubert says she never heard of Ubuntu until learning that she accidentally bought it. She called Dell the very next day and says the representative told her there was still time to change back to Windows.

But she says Dell discouraged her.

"The person I was talking to said Ubuntu was great, college students loved it, it was compatible with everything I needed," said Schubert.

So she stuck with it.

Later, she discovered Ubuntu might look like Windows, but it doesn't always act like it.

Her Verizon High-Speed Internet CD won't load, so she can't access the internet. She also can't install Microsoft Word, which she says is a requirement for MATC's online classes.

As a result, with no internet and no Microsoft Word, Schubert dropped out of MATC's fall and spring semesters.

She also says Dell claimed it was now too late to get Windows and any changes she made herself would void her warranty.

"I'm extremely frustrated," said Schubert. "I wanted to get back to school, but I needed a computer to be able to do that."

27 News contacted Dell, but the company has not responded to us yet.

However, we think we've helped her get back to school.

Verizon says it will dispatch a technician to try to assist her accessing the internet without using the Windows-only installation disk. Verizon says its high-speed internet does indeed support Ubuntu, but some advanced features and installation disks clearly don't work with Linux.

MATC also says it promises to accept any of Schubert's papers or class documents using whatever software she has installed.

Schubert's computer came with Open Office, a word processing software package that is compatible with Microsoft Word. She says she wasn't aware it was compatible. MATC promised to show her how to save documents in compatible formats so she could enroll in online courses again.

Source

Never knew someone who would consider a tv station as a help option for troubleshooting a new computer they purchased.

Oh my god! I can't install the Verizon bloatware that is not needed at ALL to access my internet!

This is a really stupid story involving a really stupid girl. Dell was right, Ubuntu would have done anything she needed.

This is why Ubuntu needs to come with built in tutorials for a) connecting to the internet (plug the wire in and you're done? :p) and b) exporting to Microsoft Word.

Not only that, but universities need to move to open standards like PDF. In fact, with such a high student Mac rate, I'm surprised they haven't already. I don't know many people with Office 2008, and everyone hates Office 2004, so most use iWork.

Oh my god! I can't install the Verizon bloatware that is not needed at ALL to access my internet!

This is a really stupid story involving a really stupid girl. Dell was right, Ubuntu would have done anything she needed.

Seems you missed the whole point of the story. Ubuntu may be one of the better distros of Linux, but it still has a LONG way to go before it can be used by the average person.

The point is that the average person just simply wants their PC to work, regardless of OS.

lol. That is true. She just got something that she was not ready to handle. I have tried ubuntu before and it is really easy to use.

Also worth noting she is attending a technical college.

Her fault for not educating herself.

Completely true. If you are ordering something online, don't hit submit until you know everything you are getting for sure.

Seems you missed the whole point of the story. Ubuntu may be one of the better distros of Linux, but it still has a LONG way to go before it can be used by the average person.

The point is that the average person just simply wants their PC to work, regardless of OS.

No, the point is she's an idiot. If she would have spent 5 minutes researching she could have solved all her problems, even after getting the laptop with Ubuntu.

To be fair, it sounds like she doesn't know much about computers since she didn't own one. She just assumed that Dell being a Windows computer maker would automatically make it a Windows PC... it's not like she even knew what Ubuntu meant.

This is why Ubuntu needs to come with built in tutorials for a) connecting to the internet (plug the wire in and you're done? :p) and b) exporting to Microsoft Word.

Not only that, but universities need to move to open standards like PDF. In fact, with such a high student Mac rate, I'm surprised they haven't already. I don't know many people with Office 2008, and everyone hates Office 2004, so most use iWork.

That reminds me of early last year when I finished school, I had a paper to submit and I was using iWork... "no problem," I thought, just export to a PDF document and the teacher would be able to see the paper as it was intended... not quite. For whatever reason, some places will only accept Microsoft Word, as if having the Adobe Reader would be too hard (I mean, it's free, and with widespread use of PDF these days I don't see why not).

As for the original story, I think that she should have done a little more research on the computer that she was ordering prior to arranging for payment, I'd never buy something if I didn't know what it came with, it's like going to a corner store and buying a grab bag for $3.00, you never know what's in it until it's too late. She should have pressed on further with Dell customer service when she asked for Windows, and regardless of what the representative informed her about Ubuntu she should have clearly asked again to have Microsoft Windows installed on the computer.

I don't have a problem with Ubuntu, but I think that there should be more documentation included to help "switchers". When I worked as a technical support agent I found that 95% of the time a lot of people with Ubuntu didn't know how to navigate the basic part of the operating system, and that their friends or a relative had installed it simply because it was "better than Windows".

Verizon says it will dispatch a technician to try to assist her accessing the internet without using the Windows-only installation disk.
MATC also says it promises to accept any of Schubert's papers or class documents using whatever software she has installed.

What's the problem here?

Some goon buys a computer, is unable to use it. Instead of calling tech support, the goon decides to phone a news paper then drop out of college. News paper calls appropriate tech support on the goons behalf and now everything is fine.

I'm not sure what MACT has for admission requirements but clearly they are much lower than those required to work at a McDonalds (ie: knowing who to cal when you screw up).

I can't wait to find out where Abbie Schubert ends up employed (or where she currently works for that matter). I wonder if it has a drool-bib laundry service.

So . . . someone bought a computer with an OS that they weren't accustomed to using, so there's a bit of a learning curve.

OMG NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!

If she had two brain cells to rub together this news item wold not be news.

And take note that the actual article headline reads:

"27 News Troubleshooter: Woman blames Dell for missing online classes" . . . which seems to better hint at the idiocy to which the read is about to be exposed.

I agree.

And exactly. I think most of the idiots are in this thread.

The "average person" wants to insert the CD, "next" "next" "next", and work.

With Linux/Ubuntu, you still have to configure most things manually.

facepalmvg7.jpg

Just unbelievable. But I have two perspectives on this.

Part of this problem is her fault. Number one, I don't think that Verizon disc she tried to install in Ubuntu is really required at all; if she really wanted help, couldn't Verizon's tech support have helped to a certain degree? Number two, chances are she needed Word for rather simple (layout-wise) documents, so what was wrong with that item listed under "Internet and Office" called "OpenOffice.org Word Processor"? Also she didn't communicate her needs to the Dell support tech, which would have suggested the alternative to MS Office Word.

On the other hand, it's a bit outlandish to expect people to be semi geniuses to work computers. You don't expect everyone to know how to change the oil in their cars or rotate tires. Part of the reason why Apple has a slight edge in the "computer idiot" crowd is the post-purchase support they offer in their Stores, where they can get schooled on using their new machines.

Bottom line is, she should've sought help before deciding to drop out. That made this story a bit ridiculous. She has help now, but it had to come to this before that happened. :(

Read this on the Reg earlier. I wonder what her course at the 'technical' college is :p

101 - How to turn on your computer

102 - How to turn it back off

103 - The Start Orb

I think she was trying for a quick buck here, and 15min of fame.

Trying to say she cannot use word in ubuntu because she didn't know it was compatable, is kinda like saying, I didn't know all Unleaded gas worked in my car.... I though ONLY 87 worked in there because that is what my manual says.

Either way - she is good for a laugh!

I agree.

And exactly. I think most of the idiots are in this thread.

The "average person" wants to insert the CD, "next" "next" "next", and work.

With Linux/Ubuntu, you still have to configure most things manually.

Ubuntu does quite a bit of the configuration on its own.

And it helps to ask questions.

i'm sorry but she's pretty pathetic for

1. not looking at the order

2. not having half a brain cell to check on google to see if her laptop is xp/vista compatible

3. doing something about it, instead of telling her 'sob' story

4. for being utterly isolated from the 21st century, Ubuntu hello? geez...what's next, 'dunno' where the power button is, my msn says im 'online' :p

She could have asked what Ubuntu was before she agreed to buy a laptop with it on...

Hell, it takes a lot of effort to even FIND a Linux PC on Dell's site. I don't think there is any easy way to get there from http://www.dell.com

When she realized her mistake, she tried to go back to Windows, but she was discouraged from doing so. Obviously she's no tech and lacks the ability to be self reliant enough to do her own research, but not everyone knows how to do this; not everyone knows about Wikipedia, or that in order to get help with Ubuntu, you go to Unbuntu.com. Heck, there are still people that will say an email address like a web address, and she could be one of those people. She was lead to believe that it's not Windows, but things will be ok because this guy from Dell, who knows more than she does, is saying it will be. There's a fine line of responsibility here. She took the initiative to fix her initial mistake, but according to her, but she discouraged from doing this. Still, there is Google, and she could have just stuck with something that she was familiar with. I blame her, but I also blame Dell, if the details provided are all true.

You should really look for this-- the minimal requirements for the online courses.

http://matcmadison.edu/matc/offerings/dist...quirements.shtm

Operating System

• Windows 95+ or
  • Mac OS 8

Hardware

• PC: Pentium 200, 64 MB RAM, SoundBlaster or compatible sound card and speakers, monitor capable of 16-bit color, 4x CD-ROM
  • Mac: 150 MHz CPU, PowerPC or better, 64 MB RAM, speakers, CD-ROM drive, monitor capable of " thousands of colors" or better

Modem

Web Browser

• Internet Explorer 5.01 or 5.5
  • (Mac) Netscape Communicator 4.76 not 6.x
  • (PC) Netscape Communicator 4.76 or 4.77 not 6.x
  • AOL 5.0 or 6.0

Other Software may be required. Check with your instructor

• Adobe Photoshop
  • Microsoft Excell
  • Word 6.0 or 97
  • Acrobat Reader
  • Text editor (a word processor or Notepad/SimpleText)
  • Sound player program (often comes with the sound card for your computer)
  • Connection to Internet and e-mail capabilities

For more information about distance learning, read Online Learning Frequently Asked Questions.

Last Modified: January 30, 2007

The online courses offered.

http://programs.matcmadison.edu/onlinecourses.php

They have 5 classes on Internet Explorer, 3 on "keyboarding" and on called "access to Internet" She should have gone to the campus first to learn how to get online!

:laugh: