Force the deletion of a "file in use"

When trying to delete a file on my computer, I get an error message stating, "The action can't be completed because the file is open in System".

I've tried deleting it in Safe Mode, deleting whilst the explorer.exe process was ended and tried using Unlocker, all fail.

Any ideas?

post-645-1232765866.jpg

why don't you try to unmounting it out of magiciso.... it's an icon in bottom left hand corner next to the time.

I do not have MagicISO installed. Mate, I have 14,520 posts, don't treat me like an idiot.

I do not have MagicISO installed. Mate, I have 14,520 posts, don't treat me like an idiot.

rofl. You don't have MagicISO? Then why does it say "MagicISO document"? If you had uninstalled the program, it would show it as an unknown file type, or it would be listed as another document type (if you had another ISO capable reading utility installed).

And just for the record, number of posts does not equal intelligence.

rofl. You don't have MagicISO? Then why does it say "MagicISO document"? If you had uninstalled the program, it would show it as an unknown file type, or it would be listed as another document type (if you had another ISO capable reading utility installed).

And just for the record, number of posts does not equal intelligence.

This is Windows. We all know file extensions don't always correct themselves after a program un-installation. Believe me when I say MagicISO is not installed.

And to add to that record, you're correct. However, it does suggest I have a basic lack of Windows-based intelligence at the minimum!

a basic lack of Windows-based intelligence

?

But for the topic at hand, idk. Usually rebooting solves that, so you're SOL. Maybe boot up with BartPE and delete it?

hmm...I do a lot of windows bashing, but even I have to say I've never seen an instance of file extension associations not clearing properly.

Even so, you sure it's not mounted?

?

But for the topic at hand, idk. Usually rebooting solves that, so you're SOL. Maybe boot up with BartPE and delete it?

You forgot 'at the minimum' in your quote, don't make me sound foolish.

I'll give BartPE a try (Y)

hmm...I do a lot of windows bashing, but even I have to say I've never seen an instance of file extension associations not clearing properly.

Even so, you sure it's not mounted?

Positive.

In this instance, the mounting portion of MagicISO didn't fare too well in this build of Windows 7, so that would explain the ext. association problem this time round.

I am not running Win7 or Vista but I have ran into that issue before on XP-- check to see if for example it has it loaded up in the cache for the Cd burning. This is not meant to give an insult- It should be in the My computer on a Cd and or DVD burner-- a right click on it should tell you if files there are awaiting burning.

You could maybe get more info about what is holding the file up by using this program. (Haven't tested it or known a test on Win7) though worth a shot.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

take out everything in the startup folder in the start menu and do "msconfig" and disable everything in the startup list then reboot and try to remove the iso.

Nothing at Windows' startup would affect the file. To give further evidence, booting into Safe Mode didn't help either.

Unlocker. was just gonna say that one as well. best little tool i use.

Clearly you didn't read the post, either.

yep. you are RIGHT. i didnt read the post. not ALL of it i guess. excuse me then. that app ha always worked for me. if it doesnt unlock the file. then i tell it to del it. and it does. whether i have to reboot or not.

Process Explorer should work to delete the link keeping the file in use.

Radish?

I'll give that a:)o :)

<snipped>[/b]

Post count doesn't generally necessarily suggest intelligence I agree, but having such a post count on a technology forum suggests I am aware I would need to close a program that is opening a certain file to be abledelete that file, do you not agree?

yep. you are RIGHT. i didnt read the post. not ALL of it i guess. excuse me then. that app ha always worked for me. if it doesnt unlock the file. then i tell it to del it. and it does. whether i have to reboot or not.

I did that but it did not work. In fact, there was no context menu either - I had to use the assitant. I'll put it down to an incompatibility with the program and the build of Windows 7.

Edited by John S.

I had such an error once... after I renamed the file and rebooted, I could delete it.

Won't let me rename it, it's in use remember.

Malwarebyes has a tool called FileASSASSINE It's under "More Tools" this works pretty well!

"Can not delete this file."

When this happens, sometimes I use just use a live cd and then all goes well

Used a Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD, worked a treat, thank you (Y)