Home network with 2003

Most of the time I dont post here because all the anwsers are allready there. :p

But now I have a problem and I can't find a solution anywhere.

I've installed windows 2003 standard server and now I would like to share my internet connection like with windows xp pro. In xp there was this ics wizard and then it all just worked fine. I don't know how to share my connection with 2003. The lan is deteced just fine, but I can't access any files or share internet.

Some extra info:

Network card : Realtek RTL8139/810x family, latest drivers for 2000/xp

Internet connection : usb speedtouch modem, latest 2000/xp drivers, internet works fine

So can anyone help me out here?

Thx :unsure:

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you should set up

1. Active Directory (which also installs DNS).

2. Configure "forwarders" in DNS that point to your ISP

3. Join your workstation to the domain

4. Set your DNS on the workstation to point to your server (this can also be configured in DHCP if not already done so).

Or you could get a small router with which you can share your connection through...

If i remember right from my limited experience with Win2k3 i'm sure you can right click on your internet connection (just as in XP/2k) and choose Properties, and there should be a ICS tab :)

You also don't need to install AD just to get ICS/NAT working ;)

I agree that AD is a bit much for a home network but I made the suggestion thinking that it is the easiest way to set up DNS.

I didn't realize that ICS is available in 2k3...

I agree that AD is a bit much for a home network but I made the suggestion thinking that it is the easiest way to set up DNS.

I didn't realize that ICS is available in 2k3...

Yeah I do agree that by installing AD you get a quick and easy way of installing DNS.

Also just checked and even Win2k has ICS built in :) so Win2k3 should have it too.

P.S are you using a standard modem or is that a ADSL/Cable modem?

this is easy. follow the configure your server wizard and set up routing and remote access to share your connection. it takes around 2 mins to do. Once complete it will have set up DNS, DHCP and NAT, and it even configures a basic firewall on the external connection for ya. PM me if you need more info. :ninja:

Thx u all. I didn't know there was a ICS tab :s Must have missed it, I almost reinstalled xp because of this :p

It's working now, I also did the server wizard again and it's working fine now.

THANKS A LOT :D

ps. I have a adsl modem speedtouch usb. www.speedtouchdsl.com :)