Lutheran school can expel lesbian students, court rules

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Black Flash

Black Flash

African-Neowinian

• 2,244 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 14:23

Being ignorant of someones beliefs because its a minority is ridiculous. Oh look more males on earth then females lets not sell dresses. More windows users then mac and linux users lets get rid of mac and linux. More people use old model ipods then the ipod touch lets discontinue it. Doing things just to suit the majority works out really bad. Were they really messing up the school that much for not being some mindless followers believing everything the school reads from a biased book from thousands of years ago?

:laugh: Oh the humanity!

#17 Joel

Joel

Neowinian Senior

• 29,330 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 17:16

These people are creating situations where there doesn't need to be any.

Yes, that IS what the school is doing, you're right.

#18 Lezard

Lezard

Some Call It God, I Call It Foolish.

• 1,092 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 17:24

Well, it comes down to this. Mix Middle Ages with Modern Age, and you get a sitcom!

Schools need to be neutral to their students, views and sexual attraction. Put Christians together and you get Decadence... No not the chocolate type lol

#19 Green_Eye

Green_Eye

Neowinian Senior

• 4,017 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 17:27

Why? Because the school represents certain views and beliefs? So we should force them to change those views and beliefs that many go there for to appease the very few minority? Why not just find a different school?

These people are creating situations where there doesn't need to be any.

This (Y)

#20 rathefeare

rathefeare

Neowinian Senior

• 2,170 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 17:35

Bad decision on the part of the school board.

Excellent decision from the courts. The government should not be given the power to interfere in private organizations, however backwards those might be. Allowing government to force any private organization to adopt a particular view has dangerous implications in other organizations.

#21 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,871 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 18:54

Yes, the school is within their rights. According to the contract the girls and their families signed (and the article) when they first started attending the school what these girls did broke that contract. What happens when you break a contract with your work? You get let go. Same thing happened here.

That is to say if what the article says is 100% true and the girls were kissing and telling their other friends that they love each other and such.

#22 Kirkburn

Kirkburn

Mmm, delicious sanity.

• 6,748 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 23:52

Allowing government to force any private organization to adopt a particular view has dangerous implications in other organizations.

So you'd be okay with racist, bigoted organizations, too?

#23 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,995 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 00:09

some real comedians around here.

whilst i'm atheist myself i have no problem with this ruling.

you wouldn't expect a lutheran school to start pimping the quran in its religion classes just to make sure it was fair so why should they be dealing with homosexuals?

it's a rather simple case of "this is our school and our rules. if you don't like it then GTFO"

#24 Kirkburn

Kirkburn

Mmm, delicious sanity.

• 6,748 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:43

it's a rather simple case of "this is our school and our rules. if you don't like it then GTFO"

So, you would be okay with a whites-only school? I'm guessing not, but then why are "religious" beliefs different? How do religious beliefs excuse intolerance?

Children deserve to be given the choice in what they believe, not what a school tells them to believe. Yes, even if their parents sent them there. Religion is a choice. So no, I wouldn't expect them to start pimping the Qur'an, but I would hate to think the children weren't being taught in an open-minded way about the existence of different religions and cultures.

#25 rathefeare

rathefeare

Neowinian Senior

• 2,170 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:39

I would not be okay with them personally.

I however do not want government to be allowed to make the determination and be able to restrict private organizations. I oppose the KKK, but support their right to exist for example. If we allow the government to start interfering in private organizations we set a dangerous precedent. One day all organizations could be outlawed, except if they are sanctioned by the government. That has happened before and should scare everyone who loves liberty.

#26 Iian K

Iian K

Neowinian

• 602 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:44

Yes, the school is within their rights. According to the contract the girls and their families signed (and the article) when they first started attending the school what these girls did broke that contract. What happens when you break a contract with your work? You get let go. Same thing happened here.

That is to say if what the article says is 100% true and the girls were kissing and telling their other friends that they love each other and such.

Your exactly right in that respect.

To be honest, I have nothing against Lesbians or Gays, but anything in a "sexual" manner should not be in public display. Even if it wasn't, it doesn't matter. A contract is a contract, you follow it, or say goodbye.

#27 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,995 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:51

So, you would be okay with a whites-only school? I'm guessing not, but then why are "religious" beliefs different? How do religious beliefs excuse intolerance?

Children deserve to be given the choice in what they believe, not what a school tells them to believe. Yes, even if their parents sent them there. Religion is a choice. So no, I wouldn't expect them to start pimping the Qur'an, but I would hate to think the children weren't being taught in an open-minded way about the existence of different religions and cultures.

wouldn't really give a crap as it's not really necessary. i think at last count it was 98% white in my part of the world. and most of the rest are chinese or indian

but it would only apply if you were interested in discriminating by physical attributes, which i'm not. the issue here is a religious/moral/principle type one. you can choose to be lutheran or you can choose not to be. to attend a lutheran school i'd image you'd need to fit in with their teachings or else they'd be kinda undermining themselves.

you can't really choose to be white or black unless you're a mr m. jackson of indiana.

#28 Kirkburn

Kirkburn

Mmm, delicious sanity.

• 6,748 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:03

wouldn't really give a crap as it's not really necessary. i think at last count it was 98% white in my part of the world. and most of the rest are chinese or indian

but it would only apply if you were interested in discriminating by physical attributes, which i'm not. the issue here is a religious/moral/principle type one. you can choose to be lutheran or you can choose not to be. to attend a lutheran school i'd image you'd need to fit in with their teachings or else they'd be kinda undermining themselves.

you can't really choose to be white or black unless you're a mr m. jackson of indiana.

That analogy doesn't entirely work: you can't choose whether you are gay either. Yet you can still choose whether you go to a white's only school, if you're black.

And whether or not something is the majority, especially based on aspects of a person you can't change, makes little difference. If 99% of the world was white, it wouldn't justify segregation.

Note, I am not that strongly against the school's actions - however, I will always play devil's advocate to arguments I don't feel have been entirely thought through.

#29 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,742 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:32

Free market. Generally, you have to pay to attend a private school. Take your money elsewhere. If enough people pulled out of that school, they'll change their policies to something more tolerant, such as 'don't ask, don't tell'.

KKK, Black Panthers, Aryan Nation, any other "power" or segregationist group has a right to say what they want to say. You have a right to ignore them, and/or not contribute to their cause.

I agree with the others that I'm more afraid of censorship than of bigots, idiots, and the sexually repressed. Because one day, someone might think something I say or do is offensive, and restrict what I can or cannot do. If a school says I can't attend because of something I say or do, I can find another school. If the government says it, I could go to jail. Works both ways.

That said, I think what really tipped off the principal was when he was crankin' one out to this pic and realized it was them:

Posted Image

#30 Reverend Spam

Reverend Spam

Neowinian Senior

• 3,939 posts
  • Phone: Droid Bionic

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:56

Posted Image

Umm, ya.... this is a disturbing picture.... Not the girls so much, but that "Lesbians get me off" is so clearly directed at these WELL underage girls (11ish maybe?) Ya... not cool.