Lutheran school can expel lesbian students, court rules

Yes, the school is within their rights. According to the contract the girls and their families signed (and the article) when they first started attending the school what these girls did broke that contract. What happens when you break a contract with your work? You get let go. Same thing happened here.

That is to say if what the article says is 100% true and the girls were kissing and telling their other friends that they love each other and such.

Your exactly right in that respect.

To be honest, I have nothing against Lesbians or Gays, but anything in a "sexual" manner should not be in public display. Even if it wasn't, it doesn't matter. A contract is a contract, you follow it, or say goodbye.

So, you would be okay with a whites-only school? I'm guessing not, but then why are "religious" beliefs different? How do religious beliefs excuse intolerance?

Children deserve to be given the choice in what they believe, not what a school tells them to believe. Yes, even if their parents sent them there. Religion is a choice. So no, I wouldn't expect them to start pimping the Qur'an, but I would hate to think the children weren't being taught in an open-minded way about the existence of different religions and cultures.

wouldn't really give a crap as it's not really necessary. i think at last count it was 98% white in my part of the world. and most of the rest are chinese or indian

but it would only apply if you were interested in discriminating by physical attributes, which i'm not. the issue here is a religious/moral/principle type one. you can choose to be lutheran or you can choose not to be. to attend a lutheran school i'd image you'd need to fit in with their teachings or else they'd be kinda undermining themselves.

you can't really choose to be white or black unless you're a mr m. jackson of indiana.

wouldn't really give a crap as it's not really necessary. i think at last count it was 98% white in my part of the world. and most of the rest are chinese or indian

but it would only apply if you were interested in discriminating by physical attributes, which i'm not. the issue here is a religious/moral/principle type one. you can choose to be lutheran or you can choose not to be. to attend a lutheran school i'd image you'd need to fit in with their teachings or else they'd be kinda undermining themselves.

you can't really choose to be white or black unless you're a mr m. jackson of indiana.

That analogy doesn't entirely work: you can't choose whether you are gay either. Yet you can still choose whether you go to a white's only school, if you're black.

And whether or not something is the majority, especially based on aspects of a person you can't change, makes little difference. If 99% of the world was white, it wouldn't justify segregation.

Note, I am not that strongly against the school's actions - however, I will always play devil's advocate to arguments I don't feel have been entirely thought through.

So you'd be okay with racist, bigoted organizations, too?

Free market. Generally, you have to pay to attend a private school. Take your money elsewhere. If enough people pulled out of that school, they'll change their policies to something more tolerant, such as 'don't ask, don't tell'.

KKK, Black Panthers, Aryan Nation, any other "power" or segregationist group has a right to say what they want to say. You have a right to ignore them, and/or not contribute to their cause.

I agree with the others that I'm more afraid of censorship than of bigots, idiots, and the sexually repressed. Because one day, someone might think something I say or do is offensive, and restrict what I can or cannot do. If a school says I can't attend because of something I say or do, I can find another school. If the government says it, I could go to jail. Works both ways.

That said, I think what really tipped off the principal was when he was crankin' one out to this pic and realized it was them:

lesbians-get-me-off-demotivational-poster.jpg

lesbians-get-me-off-demotivational-poster.jpg

Umm, ya.... this is a disturbing picture.... Not the girls so much, but that "Lesbians get me off" is so clearly directed at these WELL underage girls (11ish maybe?) Ya... not cool.

Umm, ya.... this is a disturbing picture.... Not the girls so much, but that "Lesbians get me off" is so clearly directed at these WELL underage girls (11ish maybe?) Ya... not cool.

You need to learn how to judge age better. Take a look at their facial structures; cheekbones, nose, eyes; those girls are easily around 18ish.

That analogy doesn't entirely work: you can't choose whether you are gay either. Yet you can still choose whether you go to a white's only school, if you're black.

And whether or not something is the majority, especially based on aspects of a person you can't change, makes little difference. If 99% of the world was white, it wouldn't justify segregation.

Note, I am not that strongly against the school's actions - however, I will always play devil's advocate to arguments I don't feel have been entirely thought through.

Well in this case it's not about them being lesbian if they in fact were. I think it's more about the fact that they were kissing and professing their love to each other in front of their friends that got them in trouble. Fine by me if they're homosexual, but the case here is that they got caught breaking a contract. If you want to be intimate with your lover that's all good in well but according to what they agreed to when they first started going there they broke those rules. They shouldn't have been doing whatever it was they were doing in front of their friends.

To the people syaing how wrong the school is....

How about the NAACP starts fighting for the rights of ALL PEOPLE, not just blacks? The United Negro College Fund... they don't give money to poor people of any other color... but black. As a man, why can't I join an all women's health club? I mean, all the examples I just gave are examples of how unfair the world is. Get over it. Stop crying.

To the people syaing how wrong the school is....

How about the NAACP starts fighting for the rights of ALL PEOPLE, not just blacks? The United Negro College Fund... they don't give money to poor people of any other color... but black. As a man, why can't I join an all women's health club? I mean, all the examples I just gave are examples of how unfair the world is. Get over it. Stop crying.

:laugh:

It's not unfair though, I have no problem with anyone starting an exclusive club that excludes me for some reason, It's a private organization so their within their rights to keep students out of school for whatever reason they feel is right. There has to be plenty of other schools out there.

The major point I can see here is whether any of this conduct took place on school grounds. If the girls acted out while at school during school hours, then I can see this decision as justified.

If, however, this is based entirely on out-of-school conduct, then this is hugely troubling as it represents a grievous and unjust extension of a school's authority to out-of-school activities as well. It's effectively allowing this institution to control people's lives (something christians just loooooooove doing, I know). In that case, this school needs to be slapped down HARD

The major point I can see here is whether any of this conduct took place on school grounds. If the girls acted out while at school during school hours, then I can see this decision as justified.

If, however, this is based entirely on out-of-school conduct, then this is hugely troubling as it represents a grievous and unjust extension of a school's authority to out-of-school activities as well. It's effectively allowing this institution to control people's lives (something christians just loooooooove doing, I know). In that case, this school needs to be slapped down HARD, with major financial sanctions imposed on it and some serious legal precedent declared.

You need to learn how to judge age better. Take a look at their facial structures; cheekbones, nose, eyes; those girls are easily around 18ish.

Yes, certainly. I guess he's just got no experience in that regards :p