Sticky News

We have completed the implementation of "Sticky News" news can be stuck at the top or bottom of the page and can be told apart by the icon (which we have used from the pinned topics on the board)

An additional help to determine if the news is stuck or not is the absence of the "community" button. Hopefully these 2 things will help members realise if a news is pinned or not :)

post-19-1050508856.jpg

I like the pinned news! I think it will be a great addition to the main page. :woot:

I have a comment relating to the community button...noting the absence of it on the pinned news post, it got me wondering why it's there in the first place. There's already two links to the forum root on the main page, not to mention the direct-topic links in the recent posts list. You could argue that the Community button is there to encourage users to discuss the news in the forums, but that's what the threaded comments are for. And having an individual Community button on every news post implies it links to something specific for that post...but all it does is link to the forum root, not a specific news forum or anything. I think it would be better to remove it...I'm all about navigational redundancy on my web sites, but this seems overboard. I think it looks cleaner and less confusing without it. Just MHO :) And sorry for veering a little off topic. :D

::mrogers

hmm, i thought you guys could do this already :s, VirtuaNews can :p

As has already been said 1,000 times we don't use Virtuanews :p Thats for the other 1000s of tech sites.

Well I agree mrogers, we put the community button there at a time when we desperatly needed members for the forum, that isn't such a problem on Neowin now and Redmak has already commented that we could do without it, so we might well remove it. :)

As has already been said 1,000 times we don't use Virtuanews :p Thats for the other 1000s of tech sites.

Well, virua news was based off of the original neowin news script...you'd think that this would be here...

...well, that's what I am guessing what DJ^TuRKiYe's thinking was... :unsure:

Well, virua news was based off of the original neowin news script...you'd think that this would be here...

Well tingle didn't add it so he must have added it after he left. Redmak had to code this all after I requested it to neobond, poor Redmak ;)

Neowin *was* the template for virtuanews but the 2 scripts are very different even though our design was used in virtuanews it doesn't mean what Neowin is using IS virtuanews. Our script is older and different. Redmak has done most of the visable changes to Neowin.

Well tingle didn't add it so he must have added it after he left. Redmak had to code this all after I requested it to neobond, poor Redmak ;)

after u requested it? HAHAHAHAH :laugh:

it was me! all my ideas i say! i mean look at the new XP logo under the banner on the main page (blue theme) look at the my stuff box with the links all MY IDEAS!!! :rofl:

:whistle:

What's the point of sticky news?

There might be an important piece of news that we don't want falling to the bottom of the page because a whole heap of other news topics were posted afterwards.

btw, nice addition Neobond (Y)

There might be an important piece of news that we don't want falling to the bottom of the page because a whole heap of other news topics were posted afterwards.

ohh ok. But how long will it stay sticky? untill its irrelevant or posting in it dies off?

OK, so what was so important about PCI Express being to expensive?

OPaul: That news item isn't sticky. But something like a server upgrade is probably more important to show for a little while at the top if it will affect connectivity.

Bug in sticky news??

Sticky news articles don't show up at the top of the forums in the "Recent main news," such as the current sticky with the Longhorn screenies.....