Windows 2003 Server as Windows XP?

I'm possibly wrong, but i seem to remember seeing something about a hack which confused windows 2003 server into thinking it was in fact windows XP, or some other none server variant of the windows family.

Anyone know if i've dreamt this, or if it is in fact a reality -- if the latter, how does one go about making one's OS confused in such a way?

Ta.

Hm.. i've seen the hack that allows you to convert Windows XP Home into Windows XP Pro... dunno about this one though :(

well i turned my 2k3 server into a workstation by enabling some servies and disabling some others..

that may be what you're thinking of?

I don't get this request... why in the world do you want to install win'03 and change it to XP? If you are talking about the interface, a server isn't suppose to be fancy looking, it just need to perform its daily function ... to serve.

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah...

The request is nothing to do with "fancy looking", and my windows XP Pro machine still runs a windows classic desktop, the request is to do with attempting to get certain "not installable under windows 2003" applications onto the machine.

Thanks everyone, have the said utility -- now not quite sure i dare to run it.

run it, it makes a complete backup of the registry. if it doesn't work, then use the recovery console to navigate to \windows\system32\config and replace the file "system" (that's right, no extension, just "system") with the backup it made. i did this with an earlier version of tweaknt and it didn't work. did this fix myself and it works fine now....

• 2 weeks later...