What You Would Like To See in Windows 7

Anyone else dissapointed that the taskbar doesn't have a fully featured explorer place to customise it? Instead we get one new option in a legacy property box :/

That would be a nice option, and over the years I have been disappointed in Microsoft's refusal to incorporate more customization for the taskbar. It's certainly possible, I use a launchbar add on called True launchbar developed by one guy with all kinds of customization options. If this guy can do it Microsoft could at least offer more flexible options than they do.

@Lord Norr

Thanx for the appreciation. ;) I'm hoping mods/admins will pin this.

If I'm not mistaken there's another good thread to report bugs, I think its by 'theyarecomingforyou'.

Also, I totally agree with a more customizable Windows Setup to in/exclude features one is(n't) interested in.

@Gary7

We all know realistically that including 3rd party apps would gives more problems than solutions and MS wouldn't do such.

Why, you ask? Who would say what is included and what isn't? Who wouldn't want to sue if they're excluded? It just wouldn't work.

Suing MS to try make them include 3rd parties is just not reasonable, rather if MS puts less of it's own software maybe, but beyond that... any company would fight it, and with good reason.

@Levant

I completely agree with your idea to have a central 'Updater' within Windows that all installed apps will update through, rather than the litter of 'auto update' services. I'll send that feedback to MS now as a matter of fact!

I also really like your idea to extend a window in a direction depending on which side you double-click on.

@Rfire

Most likely the footprint with decrease in size as Win7 progresses towards the RTM.

I also agree that for people that regularly change their M/B, CPU and other components, having the way the licensing system is set up now that one has to re-buy Windows when there is a system hardware change isn't reasonable.

Especially considering the rate at which computer Tech is moving now, one's constantly looking to buy a new GFX card, etc.

I disagree with azz0r_wugg's 'minimise on preview' idea and garlandchaos' "all sounds disabled by default" idea; both come off as extremes to me.

Also, let's be realistic with the ideas guys... 'flawless Linux install' and 'Compiz-Fusion' are just not happening and we know it. If you hate Windows & love Linux or whatever components/features Linux has that Windows doesn't, then either suggest that a similar feature be put in Windows (note: similar, not the same), or please go tell people elsewhere about your hate for Windows & it's shortcomings rather than in this thread, thanks.

Here's more ideas from me:

Explorer & System

Customisation: Sounds

I'd also like to see more Windows Sounds for each event type to help Windows feel more personal.

Games: System Unload

Another good idea, I think, would be to make the system switch into a sort of 'Game Mode', perhaps when a game is run from the "Games" folder: where unnecessary processes, etc are 'hibernated' to the HDD from the RAM while the game is running & 'revived' when the game is closed; Aero is disabled, and other optimisations to unload the system as much as possible for the game until the user quits it.

This could be set up for games requiring a rating of perhaps 3.1 upwards, thus preventing it from happening when small, non-demanding games are run. It would require more games to be added to Windows' database so that they are included in the "Games" folder when installed, and/or adding a means by which a user can manually add the game to the "Games" folder and either have the option of editing the 'required system rating' for that game, or add an option for the user to be able to update the requirements (or be warned about compatibility) from an online database.

Navigation: Multiple Desktops

Multiple desktops have been a popular feature for power users for some time. Adding a form of Flip3D, where an option could be added to the Control Panel to allow users to enable additional desktops (and perhaps choose how many they want, within limits).

Hotkeys could then be used, perhaps the 'Windows key+Shift' to make make an animation where the desktop 'flips' backward, from the top down, about the "SuperBar" as a pivot, and another desktop flips up, giving the desktops a feel of backward rotation, whilst the "SuperBar" flips forward about it's own center, giving the feel of rotating in the opposite direction to the desktop.

9ptk0fk40ut0mmm3bx3.png

Navigation: Flip3D

An option that would allow a user to select more views for "Flip3D" would be, no doubt, a much enjoyed innovation.

In this idea, the "Flip3D" views could be set to cycle through, or be random. 'Flip3D' could be included under "Personalisation" in the Control Panel to select the view(s) to use, and toggle random views.

Other Flip3D ideas include Windows facing the left (instead of right), facing forwand and the rear window sliding up and coming forward like a cards, zoom previews from the "SuperBar" previews.

3wtcqfxxybhdy6t9bw.png

@Gary7

We all know realistically that including 3rd party apps would gives more problems than solutions and MS wouldn't do such.

Why, you ask? Who would say what is included and what isn't? Who wouldn't want to sue if they're excluded? It just wouldn't work.

Suing MS to try make them include 3rd parties is just not reasonable, rather if MS puts less of it's own software maybe, but beyond that... any company would fight it, and with good reason.

I don't think they should be sued either but the EU and the EC are doing just that.

As an "optional" Flip3D view type only, ie when you select it, then press Windows key+Tab.

edit: Wait a second, let me get you straight, do you mean minimize on hover over the preview, or minimize button on the preview?

If it's the latter, I'm all for it!

Things I expected to be placed back or added in the final vesion of Windows 7:

01) Lock Icon in WMP12

02) Volume Slider when WMP12 in Minimising Mode

03) Control Panel Items in Tabs & Tabs in Explorer Windows

04) WMP12 able to play .ISO without the need of any codec pack

05) Arrow-like dropdown menu list in the takbar as found in build 6081

06) The ability to change how Shutdown button works whn clicked a menu appears as in XP to choose from (ex. Sleep, Restart, Log Off) before Windows turned off completely.)

07) More & new sounds + wallpapers + screensavers

08) More details for Windows Disc Image Burner during burning is in process. (ex % completed, time remaining ect..)

09) Double click anywhere on the empty space in the Explorer Window to create a new Folder or Add a hot Key.

10) Place the RUN command on Start Menu by default

Plus all ideas from bro Fox-HTV

:D

Edited by cell2007

i dont see any extras for windows 7

i just keep my plain old Vista Ultimate. I dont wanna pay more money for a windows.. i just got this? and now i have to pay again for windows 7 :(

:laugh: :laugh:

No specific babes? Were you ironic since Microsoft bundles new wallpapers and people just go crazy assuming it as a new feature... There are so many wallpapers on internet... and bundling walls of hot girls would be great if it came OOTB

Random girls are the way I like em. :D

I mean it'd be pimp if Microsoft made it blend well with the Windows 7 logo. Added hawtness.

IMO 7 is perfect despite very minor glitches.

They NEED .mkv support in Windows 7. For me H.264 and AAC codeces are useless without it.

I've posted this before but here are the other things I would like to see:

Built in FLAC Audio Support

Built in CD/DVD Image Mounting (& Unmounting)

Throw in a couple different Visual Styles not just color changes. Perhaps a Royale throwback one for XP diehards.

Advanced "modular" mode to installer to remove certain features from the install like games, system restore, media center, etc.

Built in support for .7z and .rar archives. (I know .rar is very unlikely but it would make windows all the more awesome)

Better Built-in CD/DVD/Blu-ray disc burning support similar to IMGBurn or Ashampoo.

Built in create image (.iso) from disc feature.

Better disc cleanup similar to CCleaner.

Update and Streamline advanced system properties menu to make it consistant with the windows 7 ui.

Update and streamline device manager to make it consistant with the windows 7 ui (same goes for other advanced system tools like services.msc, etc)

Update choose desktop icons & mouse pointers screens to be consistant with Windows 7 UI and go in the same window as the rest of control panel.

Multiple tabbed interface, history of opened items, line numbering, multiple document comparison (to find differences although this might be better suited for word or wordpad) in Notepad.

Built in Alarm Clock feature

Multiple taskbar support for dual-monitors similar to MultiMon.

Better system information utility that is more modern and provides more info such as system temps, etc.

Built-in support for opening .pdf documents (should be doable since it's an open standard now)

Built-in bandwidth usage monitor

You don't agree with minimise on the preview box but you want a gigantic telescope coming off the preview? lols.

this is a must needed feature for me.... I hope to really expect this in RC build .... since there is no quick way to minimize a window from taskbar with less time. I know that you could right click on preview and minimize but its time consuming... and looks awkward

I've always wondered, shouldn't the overflow on the taskbar scroll from the left to right instead of up and down?

I just don't think that it feels quite right that nearly everything about the taskbar is horizontal, from the layout to the new window previews, but then when there's some overflow, all of the sudden the taskbar takes on a new vertical dimension.

Things I expected to be placed back or added in the final vesion of Windows 7:

01) Lock Icon in WMP12

02) Volume Slider when WMP12 in Minimising Mode

03) Control Panel Items in Tabs & Tabs in Explorer Windows

04) WMP12 able to play .ISO without the need of any codec pack

05) Arrow-like dropdown menu list in the takbar as found in build 6081

06) The ability to change how Shutdown button works whn clicked a menu appears as in XP to choose from (ex. Sleep, Restart, Log Off) before Windows turned off completely.)

07) More & new sounds + wallpapers + screensavers

08) More details for Windows Disc Image Burner during burning is in process. (ex % completed, time remaining ect..)

09) Double click anywhere on the empty space in the Explorer Window to create a new Folder or Add a hot Key.

10) Place the RUN command on Start Menu by default

what does .iso have to with media player and codecs :blink:

What I would really love to see would be an ability to *not* see certain things in Windows 7 :laugh:

It would be great if you could choose that crap like IE8 and Media Center doesn't get installed in the first place :cool:

What I would really love to see would be an ability to *not* see certain things in Windows 7 :laugh:

It would be great if you could choose that crap like IE8 and Media Center doesn't get installed in the first place :cool:

I like media center... :( .

what does .iso have to with media player and codecs :blink:

ISO of a dvd maybe?

+1

If they let me install on at least 3 different computers in the same home on the same router (preferably 5) I would buy it even though I don't like it. Windows 98SE was great, you could install it with your serial as many times as you liked and could run 10 PC's in your home if you wanted. I miss the days of buying instead of renting or "permission to install" like it is today. If I spend a couple Hundred bucks on something I want to be able to do what I want with it (to an extent anyway) and Own it not just have permission to install it.

Thats one reason I'm hanging on to Win98 and hope that open source program writers continue to support it for things like controlling stuff in the home by computer. If you have a legit copy you can load it onto all the embedded pc devices all over the house and you don't have to worry about fast processors or huge amounts of memory. Thats whats missing between linux and Windows, beside the differences in operation, is your freedom to install what you have where you want as much as you want.

What MS should do is release the source code for any OS thats three generations removed and set it free so anyone can use it and program for it in anyway they want. Its called recycling, and if we have to do it with cans and plastic, why don't they for software? Pass a law darn it. Like AOL disks should by law be on RW disks so you can erase them and use them again, any free disks out there for that matter.

I'd like the ability to uninstall components like Media Center, Natural Language support, and other features that are useless to me personally. I know you can do this with software such as vLite but it messes things up.

+1

I'd also like the OS footprint reduced. The 64-bit version of Windows 7 takes up almost 10GB, and that's not counting the hibernation and pagefile files.

Not really. Most of that so-called footprint is from the WinSxS folder which is hard links to files already contained in the system32 folder.

Looks like just about everyone would like to get Virtual Drives...(myself included!)

@Appzalien: how exactly is your rant supposed to be about Win7, ie on topic here?