What You Would Like To See in Windows 7

@dirka

Yeah that would be great, I use a Toshiba app (ConfigFree) on my laptop just to hover the system tray icon and see the IPs, it would be nice to save that extra bit of resources if it was in-built to windows.

An expansion of your idea would be to show the IPs for each network adapter, ie Wi-Fi, LAN &/or Modem.

Maybe this has been said before, but I would love if you hover over the network icon in the taskbar for it to display my internal and external IP address

68929921.png

This doesn't really tell me anything.

There is a gadget that does this. Not necessarily on the taskbar, but it does the job. =) Most people would have no idea what those numbers meant if that popped up while hovering...

One thing that bother me, if go explore (Open Windows Explorer), is that everything is under Desktop. That does not make sense in my opinion, everything should go under My Computer, not desktop. Favorites are not bad being the first item - I like that, but other things need to reorganized in my opinion. Another thing is if I expand or collapse something, it should remember it when I open up explorer once again.

Also, I do not understand why some pictures thumbnails are bigger than others - I think this is bug.

I think that search should show all options when opened or have an option to show all options when opened. It just does not have any options when envoked, I think that is bad decision. Ofcource, not to confuse "Joe the Plumber" these options should be hidden by default, but available to be easily enabled for long time computer users.

Defragmenter has always been a piece of trash, or just absent, in Windows. A good one would indeed be a positive change.

Also, the whole comment about Firefox and other stuff. I think there should be advanced installation options where you can have the choice not to install Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, Games, Networking Components, etc. I think though, this will be left to 7lite though - m$ has deadlines to meet.

Windows Uninstaller should be useful, I should not need a 3rd party program to make sure that the program is actually removed.

Ability to rename things in the Control Panel. Why not or maybe take that concept even further?

Useful descriptions of Windows Services, something written like simple.wikipidia.org and actually listing some of the things that will not work if you disable that service. Is that really too much to ask for?

To disagree with many others in this thread: There is no need for more eyecandy, please Microsoft focus on performance and functionality now. The only thing that might need more work is consistency.

A SMALLER windows size, honestly - 11GB is not small. If anything why can't M$ just NTFS compress all the backup files (WFP backups, installer files, other backups, etc) and maybe help as well. Maybe, advanced installer options would help with this problem.

I managed to make Windows 7 unbootable, by simple disabling a driver, upon restart after a failed boot - it asked me whether or not I want to just start normally or let it attempt to fix it for me. So I was like ok, fix it, but it failed. My suggestion is to vastly improve that functionality and upon an unsuccessful boot give the user a choice of safe mode and last known good configuration as well - so I would not need to press F8 - some people would not know that anyway.

Config Settings Bundles - I do not know how to explain this, but maybe M$ should inquire on what things Power Users Change in their settings and make an option to apply all those settings at the same time, or what settings Administrators prefer and make a bundle of those settings so one could apply them with ease. Maybe it is just a stupid idea though.

Is it me or does side scrolling do nothing even though mouse settings acknowledge its presence?

One odd thing is that when I disabled Page File, it DID NOT warn me that if I exceed my memory limit it will just kill that application - I think this is kinda worthy or telling the user, no?

Can new Firefox versions support the whole see multiple tabs preview feature that Internet Explorer has? If not, wtf mate? If yes, ignore this.

Fix the bug where multiple wallpapers setting goes back to one wallpaper.

Is there any way to rename sleep to stand by? I mean, I hate that. Sleep is not a proper term.

How do I remove users from Windows Task Manager?

CPU Speed (Like Notebook Hardware Control) Options for Battery Mode.

Does the Aero / Glass UI use RAM or VRAM? If it is VRAM, then ignore this, otherwise wtf?

Edited by Udedenkz

5. Rip off the Apple's Mac OS X .app approach to installing (and more importantly uninstalling) programs. It is brilliant. Installers are evil and shouldn't be needed. Uninstallers rarely fully remove a program...traces of everything are left behind when they shouldn't.

would be nice, but this step may require deeply changes in OS architecture imo; if were talking about .app concept, we also need something that may be a counterpart of Apple Disk Image (dmg) files - which Virtual Hard Disk (vhd) is closest thing. anyway, installers arent evil - OS X uses them for installing packages (pckg).

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another idea:

Networking: Including an iSCSI server function

Vista came with the iSCSI initiator which allows a CD/DVD/etc ROM that is shared on a host computer (by means of iSCSI server software) to be detected by the client system as the respective CD/DVD/etc ROM. Adding iSCSI server would allow a user on a PC-1 to setup, eg their DVD-ROM, to be shared, and a DVD Movie could be then inserted in this DVD-ROM and played by a PC-2 connected via network as though the DVD-ROM is on PC-2.

Still hoping they finally give WMP the Space Bar pause/play thing... that's my biggest gripe/want ever with respect to Windows Media Player. Every other media player out there does it, honors the Space Bar as Pause/Play but WMP doesn't, at least not 100% of the time. There are moments when, if the control bar in the app has focus, the Space Bar will actually pause playback, but more often than not it: a) is so irregular as to be totally useless, and b) pressing it again doesn't actually cause it to play, go figure. So it's lopsided at best.

"There's a 50-50 chance the Space Bar won't pause playback, and a 10 percent chance that if it does it won't play the file when you press it again..." to paraphrase a line from "Naked Gun." ;)

Sure would be nice if Microsoft actually gave WMP that one feature, finally. It really would.

Yeah, I requested that in the very 1st post.

It's working on and off for you because when you select the button, which normally happens when you'd mouse click the play/pause button, the spacebar performs the action of pressing a button. Once the play/pause button is deselected, pressing spacebar won't work. The spacebar works the same for any selected button in Windows: if you press the tab button until a button/control is selected in the focused window, then spacebar performs the action of clicking it.

• 2 weeks later...
I demand ful performance!!

For better gaming experience PLEASE

I asked for that too in the post #52 of this thread.

Here's a another idea:

File Transfer: Pause/Resume & Speed-Control Function for Copying or Moving

Adding a button on the Moving and Copying dialog boxes, that allows a user to pause or resume a move/copy operation, would improve functionality in case the user needs to temporarily use another intensive operation urgently, etc. Adding a control to the Moving and Copying dialog boxes for controlling rate of transfer, would allow a user to decrease the resource use of the transfer operation, allowing the system to be more responsive to operations the user may need to perform urgently, etc.

Have you guys got any feedback on these sugestions? :huh:

If you like them, please copy and paste them into the Windows 7 Feedback window and send it to Microsoft, to let Microsoft know that many people want the particular feature. ;)

Since Windows is a popular platform for games, i wish there was a Game Mode built into Windows similar to Guest Mode(earlier called as PC safeguard) where i could get full performance out of my machine for games which demand a lot. There should be only a few services,fully tweaked etc in this mode so that i can juice out the max.

Also, WMP should support more filetypes natively mainly such as FLAC (which is only reason i use winamp). I know that it can be still used to play but there is no proper seek bar etc during playback

@rakeshishere: Yeah, check the post #52 and see if you approve of that game idea.

@shakey_snake: you reminded me of this idea:

Media Playback: WMP id3 ratings support

Currently, setting ratings within WMP to an mp3 file does not change the actual rating within the id3 tag of the file. Giving full integration, where adding rating would act permanently in the file, even if played in another system, (until altered) would be a much appreciated function. This would preserve ratings a user applied to a file even if they're forced to re-install the operating system in the event of a such occurrence.

Have you guys got any feedback on these sugestions? :huh:

If you like them, please copy and paste them into the Windows 7 Feedback window and send it to Microsoft, to let Microsoft know that many people want the particular feature. ;)

For it to be free and open source, like linux

I can understand people wanting it to be free (I presume you meant "gratis" on that).

But why would you want it to be Open Source? Did you want to change some of the code? :ermm:

It would be nice if the start menu expanded when 'all programs' is clicked - the same way it expands when you use the search field

It would be nice if the start menu expanded when 'all programs' is clicked - the same way it expands when you use the search field

+1

I like to have the guest mode feature back in Windows 7.

According to Paul, the Guest Mode feature of Windows 7 was removed permenantly.

Well if it's really true, I would like to see it back in Windows 7. I think it's a great feature for those who wanna share their computer with other people and preventing them from making unneccesary changes to the system.

i'd like to have battery threshold support for laptops.

setting thresholds is important in maintaining the health of your battery so i'd be nice to have this added to the os.

Shouldn't there be a "What You Would Like To See in Windows 8" thread. Because Windows 7 is done. No new features and such are going to be added at this late date with RC in the making as we speak.

Seems like a thread with no purpose anymore.

Well you can't talk about what is good for Win8 before knowing what's in Win7, now can you?

At the soonest, that thread would be appropriate when the Win7 RTM is out.

Whew, the RC is out!

Well it looks like it's time to see how much of what we asked for actually has been implemented.

Hold thumbs guys, lol.