Arcade Fighting Sticks (Build your own)

thnk you people for showing this! im now lookin into this, want to of them and here in NZ they are @ 250.00$ each! BTW i found this on X-Arcade site about why they cant make there own one.

Update On X-Arcade? Xbox 360? Adapter Availability.

Although the X-Arcade? is one of the most highly-regarded Arcade Joysticks available, we have been unable to produce an Xbox 360? adapter. Microsoft? is legally blocking Xgaming from producing, manufacturing or distributing a peripheral which connects directly to the Xbox 360?.

It is unfortunate that Microsoft's? policies are depriving Xbox 360? owners of a peripheral which is available for nearly every other game system produced in the past decade and customer grief has only amplified with the recent release of Street Fighter IV.

Our customers have inquired whether Xgaming could simply pay a royalty to Microsoft? and unfortunately it's not that easy. The Xbox 360? was designed with a security function which prohibits third-party development without approval and Microsoft? has refused to grant any rights to Xgaming.

This strategy has allowed Microsoft? to control the supply of all accessories produced for their console and only a small handful of manufacturers have been granted permission by Microsoft? .

"Beside the royalty, which will restrict many small companies from making Xbox 360 peripherals, this security feature also gives Microsoft total control over which peripherals are manufactured so if for instance they don?t want mouse and keyboard adapters for the Xbox 360, they can simply decide not to allow them, even if a company wants to pay the royalty. "

Teamxbox "{Source Teamxbox}

It serves Xgaming no benefit to delay the release of our adapter and we are paralyzed without Microsoft's? explicit permission.

We sincerely apologize--but we are working hard to provide customers with X-Arcade? support on their 360's?. Other firms are hacking together electronics from Microsoft? gamepads and we feel such a solution will not meet our strict quality standards.

However, we can assure customers that we will have a legal option available by the end of this year. We hope you'll be patient and if you sign up below---we will email you upon any updates on availability.

We are unable to provide any additional information at this time, but do apprecaite your patience and hope you realize we must adhere to legal requirements established by Microsoft.?

Regards,

Shawn Walters

President

Xgaming, Inc.

SOURCE

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm hyped again. I just ordered the last few things I should need for my stick, including the box. I haven't decided on artwork yet, so it'll be somewhat plain at first, but with any luck everything will ship this week and I'll be able to play for real next week. I'll post pictures when it's assembled!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got it all put together about an hour ago. Still a couple things left to do, like pick out some artwork (and then figure out how to loosen the buttons so I can take them out and put it on there :D), I need some rubber feet on it, and there's an extra hole on the back I'll have to get a plug for eventually.

post-1972-1254422079_thumb.jpg

post-1972-1254422089_thumb.jpg

post-1972-1254422099_thumb.jpg

Ultimately this probably wasn't the most cost effective way to do this. Of course, making my own case would have possibly saved some money, had I already owned the tools to do so. It seemed like a great idea when all the fight sticks were bought up and being resold on eBay for $300+. Now that more are on the market and I can get them for retail it's not much of a cost savings at all (in fact, I could have bought 2 of them, instead). At least I have the parts I want in it, though, instead of buying a fight stick and then modding it.

Now I'm getting my ass kicked even worse as I learn the layout, but at least when I mess up it's because I failed to do a move or did the wrong move, as opposed to doing exactly what I should have done but having it register wrong or not at all.

Actually, the joystick came with a ball top. I prefer bat tops myself, but I thought those bubble tops looked pretty damned sexy, so I bought one of those for like $3 and I'm trying to see if I can adjust. So far it's really not that bad (probably because I spent some time in Japan a few years back and that's what they use there :D), I'm having more trouble remembering the positioning of the buttons because that button layout really sucks. I might buy a bat top eventually, though, it's not high on my priority list.

• 1 year later...

I guess this thread is kindda dead but,

Great Work everyone! I really like the different joystick versions you pulled out!

I am inspired to build one of my own, but I was thinking maybe to MOD one. It's not the same, but I live in Argentina, and parts are harder to get, and thery are more expensive (a JLF Sanwa is around 50 american dollars) and there aren't a lot of options to choose.

I found this joystick controller

http://www.focalprice.com/GC034B/PS3_Fighting_Joystick_Black.html

GC034B.jpg

I was thinking of changing the stick for the Sanwa, and the buttons as well, (using the PCB and other components) with that box, and maybe build a wooden box later.

It works on PC and PS3 so thats a good thing.

What's your opinion? has anyone used one of these before? heard of someone modding them?

thanks a lot for the info and everything!