Empire: Total War is "Astonishing"

I'll give the demo a go on my gaming rig. The specs are as follows: E6750 @ 3.2 GHz, HD 4870 512MB, 8GB DDR2 RAM, Windows Vista Ultimate x64 w/ SP1.

I see what everybody means now.

I can't even change my settings, as when I try to change them the game 'freezes' like games usualy do for a couple of seconds when changing graphics seconds, except it just never 'comes back', maybe its one of the settings I'm trying to change to is the issue. So I'm stuck on what the game decided for me. So I'm getting 160 FPS >_>

I'm running a Phenom II X4 920 with a 4870.

That's why some publishers don't like releasing demos before the full game, because people can get the wrong impression of the performance, gameplay, whatever.

Wait and see what the final is like.

I'm sorry, but unless you somehow got the full game early, then you didn't play "it"! You played a 2 map demo version based on unfinished, unoptimised and possibly beta code. And StealMySoda is correct, your specs don't set the world alight.

Really? Do you honestly think that your that cool that you need to respond like that when the discussion that is going on between StealMySoda and myself is about the demo that was released and not the full game? Do you happen to read the thread at all, or do you look for posts to troll at despite their relevance? Seriously, think before you post.

Plus, I bought my PC for $800, no **** it's not the greatest gaming PC in the world of computers, but it's not completely obsolete either, and would've been satisfied with playing the demo at Low on 640x480. The point I'm getting to the fact that PC gaming is too expensive...

Xbox 360 with all the trimmings $400

Gaming PC with all the trimmings $1200-$3000...

Also, the demo is ASS, the full game I've yet to play, as obviously stated by yourself so cleverly, it isn't available to consumers. If Sega and the developer that made this gem would've put some time and effort into a piece of promotional media, then perhaps none of us would have computers locking up on the line of text that appears when the demo is fired up.

Edited by -Hiroshi-

Anno 1401 is out soon as well - Damn the PC strategy scene kicks ass, I gotta go buy a new graphics card for things like this :(

I recently uninstalled the Anno 1401 beta, and it is by far the most boring strategy I have ever played. It's an economy simulator, not a strategy game. I spent three hours building roads and villages to support the local business until I go bored of looking at the shiny graphics and gave up.

I recently uninstalled the Anno 1401 beta, and it is by far the most boring strategy I have ever played. It's an economy simulator, not a strategy game. I spent three hours building roads and villages to support the local business until I go bored of looking at the shiny graphics and gave up.

I'll probably like that :p

I liked the Settlers and Anno 1701, both games focussing on the economy more than war.

Really? Do you honestly think that your that cool that you need to respond like that when the discussion that is going on between StealMySoda and myself is about the demo that was released and not the full game?

I'm sorry I got in the middle of your clearly private conversation with StealMySoda. I clearly knew you were talking about the demo, I was just making a point. This whole thread is about the game itself. Your comment of "This game is the buggiest piece of crap that's ever graced the PC." could quite easily be interpreted by some readers that the game itself is "the buggiest piece of crap" so I was making sure that didn't happen. Also I couldn't care less that you can't afford a decent gaming rig, or that you can afford a 360. Now look who's being relevant. I missed the part where this thread was a discussion about the expense of PC gaming. Seriously, restrain your emo impulses before you post.

Downloaded demo from steam, when I try to launch it I get the "IGameExplorer could not verify access Empire: Total War will now exit" error. I assume it is some kind of conflict between game explorer and steam since it is a gfw game. :cry:

Does anyone know a fix?

Try running steam as admin.

I don't have the option to run steam as and admin for some reason. Also just realized that Game Explorer is not installed on my version of vista, is there a way to run the game without having to use Game Explorer? I tried xp compatibility mode and got the same error.

I can't wait until tomorrow; its crap that digital distribution has a 1 day delay vs buying it in stores. I hope they release the MP campaign beta tomorrow

Yeah it has been slimmed down quite a bit

There's your problem then. You definitely shouldn't be removing stuff like Game Explorer. Although I never use it, I know it contains core elements needed for some games. Sure there may be work arounds, but really if your THAT desperate for space get a bigger HD.

The special forces edition just popped on my tracker. 11 freaking gigs. I honestly hope they aren't turning the RTS genre into system/bloat heavy segment.

The special forces edition just popped on my tracker. 11 freaking gigs. I honestly hope they aren't turning the RTS genre into system/bloat heavy segment.

you do realize its not 1995 and storage space isn't an issue right? and for how much is in this game 11 gigs seems like nothing to me.

I'll be waiting to dl the demo on my when my new PC gets here.

2 Tb of space just waiting for steam games to be used. :D