[xp]AlwaysUnloadDLL does improve ram utilization

hi

about the tweak alwaysunloaddll can improve ram utilization

i 'm talking about

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\AlwaysUnloadDLL]
@="1"

under xp

thanks

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks11.htm

Here is the first and most important point. I can find no evidence whatsoever that this setting works in Windows XP.** In fact, the only official Microsoft technical documentation I can find on this is here. It clearly and unequivocally states,

?For operating systems prior to Windows 2000, you can shorten the inactive period by adding the following information to the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer AlwaysUnloadDll?

For arguments sake, let?s just say that this setting does work in XP. Windows XP uses a complex and efficient process to manage memory operations. It keeps the dll loaded in case you need it again. For example, if you open XYZ and then close it the dll remains in memory. If you open XYZ again it will launch quicker because the dll is already in memory. When/if XP needs the space in memory for something else it will make the space by unloading the dll(s) that aren?t being used. If this setting actually did work, you have hurt your overall performance because you unloaded a dll when it didn't need to be and caused the system to have to load it again when called upon.

note - For those who state that this tweak would only work in IE. The key is ?Explorer? as in the shell, not ?InternetExplorer? the browser. Also, whether you make a new key, sub key, entry, or any combination makes no difference.

** Registry monitoring tools JV16, Regworks, and Regmon were used. I can find no evidence that this key was EVER accessed.

There's also another Microsoft support article that mentions this registry key:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196480

Notice the notice regarding Windows 2000 and later?

Important This registry key is no longer supported in Microsoft Windows 2000 or later.

Edit:

Personally I find most of these "miracle performance boosting" registry tweaks either don't work at all (placebo effect in most cases), or actually harms performance.

Edited by voidpharoh

It is a useless and unnecessary "tweak". XP will unload .dll's when associated programs are closed and the .dll is no longer needed without any 3rd party assistance.

It is a useless and unnecessary "tweak". XP will unload .dll's when associated programs are closed and the .dll is no longer needed without any 3rd party assistance.
Important This registry key is no longer supported in Microsoft Windows 2000 or later.

i did not unstarstand, it doesn't work this tweak on xp?

thanks to all

i did not unstarstand, it doesn't work this tweak on xp?

Correct. It does nothing on any modern version of Windows.

It was an option in which made very old versions of Windows Explorer immediately unload a DLL when its reference count reached zero instead of keeping it around for a grace period.

It wasn't functional in XP. It's an option from a bygone era. You should generally be extremely skeptical of internet sites that contain "tweaks."

(And for what it's worth, when COM in XP unloads a DLL depends on the context. It can be immediately, or it can be ten minutes later.)

It wasn't functional in XP. It's an option from a bygone era. You should generally be extremely skeptical of internet sites that contain "tweaks."

(And for what it's worth, when COM in XP unloads a DLL depends on the context. It can be immediately, or it can be ten minutes later.)

thanks to all

but lots of tweaker program like tuneup , or xp smoke they still have this teak

That's because a lot of tweaker programs are absolutely useless and full of deprecated placebo functions.

:yes: (Y)

But there are a lot of people who buy such useless tools :laugh:

But there are a lot of people who buy such useless tools :laugh:
Whats the saying.

?A fool and his money are soon parted.?

or another one that fits.

"There's a Sucker Born Every Minute"