Hamachi Problem

Me and a friend are trying to connect our 2 PC's together via hamachi to get Baldurs Gate 2 to work online. We have tried TCP/IP and IPX, he lives about 200 yards from my house, so i can tweak things on both ends. We then installed hamachi, his installed no problem, mine said something about port forwarding, but i cant get the screen to come up again. When i ping him it times out, we tried BG2 with TCP/IP and IPX again after hamachi installed and it didnt work.

Ive been googling for ports hamachi needs, but google is failing me. I just find forum posts of people who have my problem.

We both have LinkSYS-WRT54G routers, windows firewall on, exceptions allowed.

If you need any info i can get it easily enough.

If you are trying this today then it wont work, as the hamachi service is currently down due to traffic overflow on their servers.

Hamachi uses the same ports as skype, such as 80, 8080, and so on.

You dont really need to config port forwarding for it to work, it jumps over your router using a tunneled ssh through port 80

what status do you get?

is hamachi on the taskbar, green with all triangles? or yellow?

their service is up and running again.

If you are using a hardware firewall (covering the whole network), you will need to permit the following:

Hamachi connects to a central server on ports 12975 and 32976 using TCP. The first port is used for a initial contact, and the second is used for an actual session. Hamachi also uses dynamic local and remote UDP ports for communicating with other Hamachi peers.

If Hamachi fails to connect to the server on 12975, it will try to connect via SSL (server only) on TCP 443 (standard secure port, SSL).

If peer connectivity is failing (yellow/blue status), you can set a static local UDP port. To set a static local UDP port, open Hamachi Preferences > Detailed Configuration section and set the UDP port value to a port of your choice; we recommend something over 1024.

Setting a UDP port is normally used in conjunction with configuring port forwarding on your NAT/router device when resolving "yellow status" issues. You can find more info on configuring a port forward to your router/firewall at PortForward.com.

A small circle in front of each peer on your Hamachi list is a status indicator. The color of this indicator reflects the status of the connection between you and a peer.

A gray indicator means that the peer is offline and there is no connectivity with it.

A blinking green indicator means that the peer is online and Hamachi is working to establish a connection. It typically takes under a second to establish the tunnel, but sometimes it may take up to few minutes.

A solid green indicator means that you have direct connection with a peer.

A cyan indicator means that Hamachi was not able to establish direct connection and that you are connected to a peer via a high-speed relay.

A cyan down-pointing arrow is the same as the previous type, except that it indicates the use of low-speed relay.

A yellow indicator means that Hamachi failed to establish both direct or relayed connection with a peer.

Additionally, red status means that you are blocking all network traffic to/from this peer. This block can be toggled via a right-click menu.

i have 3 green triangles, and the icon next to my friend is a downward cyan aarow. on his end he has 3 green triangles and can ping me with a ms of ~130

ok that means that your connection to hamachi is fine, reason why he can ping you.

his connection though is working through a relay, try and enable the uPNP option on the router for him, compare his options with the ones that you have set on yours.

reset the firewall if needed, or double check that the app is allowed to go through it.

You dont really need to foward ports though.

His connection is able to connect to a server but not the central one, so the connection is relayed.

You should be able to connect with him though, he probably has icmp disabled on his side though, so you cant ping him.

Try and install vnc or something on his computer and test it out, make sure its allowed through the firewall.

whats vnc? and if it helps his computer is a fresh install of SP 2. he just bought it and got a few games + VLC, Vent, few other things.

so i need to enable icmp and check that its allowed on his end?