Windows 2003 .. REAL Workstation

Hi

I've converted Windows Server 2003 as a Workstation thanks to the guide but there are many software I can't install because it's a SERVER version. :crazy:

I don't know how software detect that windows is a server version but I think there must be something to change in the registry to tell windows that it isn't a SERVER anymore. :blink:

Does anyone know how I can do that ? :D

Thanks

ntswitch, do a google search

edit: this will just make it (for all purposes) windows xp, it even has the xp splash screen, so I'd just install xp

even if u use ntswitch some applications still recognise it as not XP, specifically microsoft applications in my experience but apps from other companies may also be affected. Unless u have a reason for using the server stick to xp, sure its fun to have a play but at the end of the day its best to stick with XP

IF you did use NTSwitch it's known to have slight problems as some of the server programs may cause glitches such as memory leaks, etc...

but if you used ntswitch, you would be smart to disable/not use the server apps.

People just don't get it do they?, it's a SERVER OS ! :crazy: :| - it's not meant to run workstation-type apps, if you want that luxury > install XP ....

Radish.

Ok yer all smart and l33t, we know. But was he asking you to give him all your wisdom and brag how smart you are? Grow up kids.

Uh, yes, he was? That's why he posted a question, not a statement.

NT Switch will allow you to install certain desktop apps but most will have problems

( like Norton System Works, Antivirus doesnt work )

I do agree, stick with XP or 2k, You ain't missing anything

2K is the best Win OS imho. Cuz i don't need all the fancy crap that XP has. XP is just an eye candy OS based on 2K. People using XP and that are proud of it should be ashamed of themselves. I mean, you all brag about your 1337 m4d skills but you are using the most "user friendly" OS ever created... you guys crack me up.

Thats the problem with "free" software today... kids trying to understand an OS they shouldn't even come close to touching.

Windows XP and 2003 are more the same then different. 2003 has a lot of improvements and tweaks which won't be seen on the Desktop until Longhorn.

M$ could easily make a workstation edition if they wanted to by removing the server add ons.

They made 2003 from Windows XP, it's really just Windows XP server edition.

I tried ntswitch and :laugh: .. I can't do anything now

Each time I log in I have a "windows product activation" error .. it can't check the license ... but I nerver activated it :wacko:

so I can't use windows 2003 anymore ..fortunately that my linux always works :happy:

This is stupid, .. not beeing able to install workstation soft on a server OS , but 2 versions of the same product is great .. more $$$ :devil:

I just wanted to try windows 2003 .... I have tried it 4 days (in comparison windows millenium only stayed several hours, so it isn't a so bad OS :woot: )

.. I will wait for the next workstation OS

I go back to win2000 :yes: (WinXP :x )

Windows XP is only bad for people who can't figure out how to use Services.msc & Regedit. (Although you can edit some Services in 2k, it's not as tweakable...)

And what the heck, you get them awesome visual styles without using WinblowBlinds & ObjectBar. $

2K is the best Win OS imho. Cuz i don't need all the fancy crap that XP has. XP is just an eye candy OS based on 2K. People using XP and that are proud of it should be ashamed of themselves. I mean, you all brag about your 1337 m4d skills but you are using the most "user friendly" OS ever created... you guys crack me up.

Thats the problem with "free" software today... kids trying to understand an OS they shouldn't even come close to touching.

ha yeah sure :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

XP rules it has tons of feature 2000 doesnt. And Windows 2003 Server is Windows XP Server. They were both being made along side each other and had the same codename.