messenger bombs.

After 10 days of uptime, I just accidently killed an SVCHOST process that i shouldn't have, windows forced a security shutdown, and upon reboot my messenger BSOD's every time i try to open up a windows to chat to anyone.

This is most annoying.

The BSOD error is reporting an error in NV4_blah blah blah, so i reinstalled my Nvidia drivers, and yet the problem still persists.

Anyone have any idea's on how i can fix this little beauty?

Many thanks in advance.

Useful as your suggestions are... ;)

As an aside, i tried to reinstall messenger, only to be told its a new version on my machine, so tried to deinstall messenger, which seemed to work -- though when i then reinstalled program downloaded from MS.com the bluescreens persist! :(

Please help...

lmao King Mustard :yes:

It must be a problem with Nvidia drivers so I suggest using WHQL ones instead of all these leaked beta ones :)

Yahoo Messenger. Pure crap. Practically zero users. Ugly.

Ugly? Why? Because it doesn't have a 100x60 advertisement? Or maybe because it doesn't have an annoying side bar?

MSN hogs too many resources. MSN doesn't let you exit if you have Outlook open - LAME.

AIM is a POS that has never worked right and has seroius direct-connect issues.

Yahoo can connect from behind firewalls that neither MSN or AIM can get through.

Yahoo has had native support for webcams for years, where-as MSN is just now adding this feature and AIM still lacks it in the Final versoin.

You're wrong about it having few users, and who cares anyways? If all you do all day is chat with other 14 year olds that you don't know, then maybe you should stick with AIM.

Yahoo has better, web-based profiles, a built in gaming network that's better than MSN, and it works with all of yahoo's other content such as stocks, news and groups.

Oh, OK. You're running things not meant for a server on a server. See, that was the bit that was confusing me. But you've definitely cleared that up.

I wonder why more servers don't have GeForce cards in them?

Messenger is packaged in with the server operating system isn't it?... isn't it?

And who's to say that the nvidia card isn't the only card i have laying around to put into my server? who's to say that?

If you're not interested in helping then fine, you really don't have to be an arse about it tho do you?

After 10 days of uptime, I just accidently killed an SVCHOST process...

sorry to hijack your thread :ninja: , but is there anyway i can kill this process over a lan, what permission do i need on the pc im shutting down?

Thanks

m0.

Thanks to all that offered assistance, seems it was the nvidia drivers after all. reverted to MS ones and all is fine.

m0, no idea fella -- i found out i'de been exploited and that an svchost was running that was naughty so just randomly started killing them with my admin user account, no idea if you can do it over a lan, give it a try -- ;)

And guys -- your IM is personal choice, most of my friends use MSN, its simple, its built into windows, its easy to use -- christ, next you'll be telling me i should be using a mac, or maybe that netscape is the only way to go. IT'S PERSONAL PREFERENCE, so get a grip. Of course, you all know this already.

personally i have found 2003 runs better for me than xp did.

i didnt think it would, i am only on a duron 800 with 640 mb ram but it flies...

i installed gAim to chat, newest version runs nicely :-)

for the sake of a christ i refute the existence of completely, you people... my reasons for running the OS i run are my own, needless to say what i need to do cannot be done with windows XP. So get off your horses and help. If you can't be bothered to help, then just wander on by and ignore me.

Why do you all need to act like a bunch of 12 year olds.

As for Messenger not being packaged with 2003, i didn't install it seperately, so it either came with it, or windows update put it on here, either way, doesn't really matter.

i run server as my desktop OS as its also my gateway machine that my gf's box connects through, i got bored with xp, fancied a change and tried it, runs very nicely :-) and its so nice to have my own domain again rather than workgroup, makes me feel all special....