MySQL in Server 2k3

I want to set up MySQL in Windows Server 2003 standard. I install fine, but when i run the "mysqld --standalone" in command propmt, it just sits there doing notihng for a mintue so I close. The documentation isnt helping. I followed it making sure the my.inf is right, nbut not helping. btw im trying to install 4

Off Topic: 400th post!!!!!!!!

mysql runs as a service no? it should be installed after you install the program. is there by any chance a copy of it already running? check your services as well to see if it has been entered in there.

it is running as a service, no copy already running

i used wutr it said in the documenttation to check: "mysql test" but i get cant connect to localhost when the server was running

Ok so it is listed in the services. Can you click in the service and tell it to start that way? Does it start? If not, you should be able to check the event log to see any errors it may be outputting. Let me know about that and we'll go from there.

as i said before yes it runs fine. but i am confused how t oset up password and stuff. repeat: its isntalled and runs as a service fine, i will check event log when i get home