NeowinCAST Gamers Edition

So yes, it's not as much "indie development" as a whole, more so a category of indie development dedicated to the greenlighting of projects that could easily be completely ignored by gamers due to their strange take upon the concept of a "game".

Yup that I agree on.

That's not what I took from the podcast though and like I said, a quick glance at release lists would show you just as many (if not more) new titles on XBLA as the PSN does.

Anyway, not getting into a debate about it. Whats done is done, it was just my input for future shows.

Cheesy intro. :p

Maybe its just me, but I always find it funny when an American says England.

And DirtyLarry is right about getting rid of the SixAxis controls in Uncharted 2, and as for getting "20%" in Killzone 2, your about half way through completing it as when you finish, or at least when I did, it was around 45%

The party system can be put down to the developers, I couldn't tell you why they didn't do it, other games on the Ps3 have it, so who knows why they didn't put it in K2.

I can't say anything about what Xbox live offers for downloadable content, but I agree its great to see these companies throwing out unique games and taking more of a risk.

And as for Linger in Shadows, I actually did a presentation using it as a piece about links between art and games and best described it as "An Interactive Art Experience" myself.

My lecturer was very interested in it, lol.

As a whole it was a good show for your first, you seem comfortable with each other which is a good starting point, but there is still the aura of newness between you and like all Podcasts starting out its not quite dynamic enough between you two speaking, I would say wooden, but that isn't what I mean at all, but it doesn't matter as that will disappear in time as you get use to talking to each other more.

The time issue isn't big, a lot of game related Podcasts I listen to are generally around 2-3 hours and then there are some that are just around 50-60 mins, personally I prefer longer ones, but only as long as they don't rabble on about completely pointless things all together, as long as you keep it entertaining I wouldn't worry about length, after all, there's a reason there's a pause button if you can't listen in one go. :p

And I would suggest for the near future keeping the show with just the two of you, once you have perfected what you have then bring someone else on.

If your going to stick it on iTunes, which I hope you are going to do, I would at some point, preferably near the begining say the url of Neowin "Neowin.net" and not just Neowin while talking.

As people listening through iTunes might want to come to this wonderful site, lol.

And mentioning us loyal fans is always a must. :p

All and all though, great work guys. :D

*snip*
*snip*

Firstly, thanks for the positive comments. I'm actually very relieved as I was expecting the two of you to be our harshest critics :laugh:

I was a little curious to see how my voice and accent would be received, as I imagine I can be pretty difficult to understand at times. I'm glad that I came across well and you enjoyed the partnership me and Larry have built up already. A lot of people seem to be commenting on that. I realise a couple of words may have come out wrong, but I simply put that down to nerves :happy:

I had originally hoped to include a section similar titled "Playlist", where we'd discuss anything and everything that we had been playing since the previous episode. We will definitely look at introducing that segment into future shows once we've established a routine. The possibility of community involvement is certainly something I'm considering. I like the idea of opening a topical discussion thread a week or so before a show, then taking reader comments and adding them into the discussion on the show. Also, taking questions from e-mail could be another idea. Let me know what you think.

As for me not naming the culprit, I wasn't sure it was necessary and the time but now you put it that way it does seem like the logical thing to do. The ironic thing is it was actually you I was referring to, Sethos :laugh:

The length and frequency of the show is something both Larry and I are undecided on. Initially, Larry thought a 90 minute episode was too long. However you guys seem to think that the balance was perfect, which is good. I could have talked for a whole lot longer! As for a episode routine, I doubt we'll ever be able to commit to a set schedule. Ideally, I'd like to do a fortnightly show. That way we have plenty to discuss and it gives us enough time to produce the show to Larry's very high standards (it's incredibly time consuming). At the moment though, I think it'll be more as case of when we have time, but I think we're hoping to get some recorded on RE5 once we've had our hands on it for a few days.

I liked the intro tune used, but not the robot voice thing, that made me cringe lol.

I'm not too keen on the robot either (don't tell Larry!), but all of those kind of things can be tuned for future episodes.

I think Larry put his heart and soul into that intro. :p

but I don't think the voice says your name very well Ynnoj, but I wouldn't be able to either, lol.

As for your accent, at first it was a bit in your face, but it toned down as you got into talking, and was fine, I think us form the UK who have probably heard it before will be fine, but it might be a little unusual for foreigners. :p

Though amusingly, listening to you both, you both sound similar to two other people on two different Podcasts to me.

I think Larry put his heart and soul into that intro. :p

but I don't think the voice says your name very well Ynnoj, but I wouldn't be able to either, lol.

I'd have preferred it if he just called me Jonathan. Seems a little more professional.

Firstly, thanks for the positive comments. I'm actually very relieved as I was expecting the two of you to be our harshest critics :laugh:

:p

Nah, not of a podcast, I love gaming podcasts.

I find it usually gives you a better understanding to listen to someone speak their opinion than write it - You can hear their tone of voice, their emotions and speaking is much easier to pay attention to for 3-5 minutes, than reading a wall of text for the same length of time.

You can really tell if someone truly means what they are saying when they speak it over writing it when it comes to opinions on gaming. Plus you get to know them far better and that creates a better bond/understanding than following them purely based on text.

I'd have preferred it if he just called me Jonathan. Seems a little more professional.

Yeah stick to real names on the podcast (Y)

:p

Nah, not of a podcast, I love gaming podcasts.

I find it usually gives you a better understanding to listen to someone speak their opinion than write it - You can hear their tone of voice, their emotions and speaking is much easier to pay attention to for 3-5 minutes, than reading a wall of text for the same length of time.

You can really tell if someone truly means what they are saying when they speak it over writing it when it comes to opinions on gaming. Plus you get to know them far better and that creates a better bond/understanding than following them purely based on text.

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Like I said, we have a lot of ideas for both the podcast and the front page so this is just the beginning.

It'd be nice to have you on the show one week ;)

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Like I said, we have a lot of ideas for both the podcast and the front page so this is just the beginning.

It'd be nice to have you on the show one week ;)

;)

How do you guys record anyway? Over Skype or something?

;)

How do you guys record anyway? Over Skype or something?

Skype for the time being, but Ventrilo may be an option in the future should we have more people on the show.

First my cons: at times it seemed like the discussion was being dragged on, so to me, 90 minutes was too lengthy. It got to a point where I stopped listening (albeit at the end of the podcast), but not just because I felt like the discussion was being drawn out, but also because of Johnathan's accent. Most accents I can deal with, but there's something about yours that doesn't play nice with my ears, but don't take it to heart, there's no problem on your end, it's mine. In a nutshell, I'm not crazy about the voice and it's just something I'll have to deal with if I listen, obviously there's nothing for you to change about it. I could comment a little more on the voice part, but it's unnecessary and I don't want to come across as snobbish or rude since I really don't think I could convey it constructively.

The pros: The content was good and the great thing is I don't think you'll ever run out of things to discuss and review since the gaming industry isn't going anywhere. The discussion was healthy with valid points that give as good of a discussion both of you could provide, and you kept it so that you didn't sound like a fanboy, very important.

The suggestions: Someone already mentioned this before, but show prep would help in negating any unknowns and getting specific facts together so there's as little guessing as possible would help a lot. Playing a game from start to finish wouldn't be included in this, though it can help in the discussion, but not essential. Certain times it seemed like Larry's voice was a lot lower than Jonathan's, so I found myself adjusting the volume a few times.

Overall, I have a positive view of the podcast and I'm excited to see where you guys can take it.

I was thinking this too. It really makes the members of the GH part of the podcast more.

One criticism, I think some facts/figures need to be checked before you use them. For example the iPhone/PSP sales in this first porcast. You guys were wayyy off, and I've spoke to Jonny already and I understand his position, but still you know :p

I completely disagree with you guys on the PSN / XBLA comparison. MS have been pioneering the indie development from day one with XNA. Their tools are fantastic and in some university courses free, (like mine :p ). Again, I spoke to Jonny about that and it is all opinion at the end of the day, but you need to follow up on what you talk about more before you tell the "masses" false info like I said. I know spouting a lot of numbers etc is boring and nobody really wants to hear that, but just glance at release lists and you'll see XBLA is pushing more weekly/monthly/yearly. Not to mention the PSN has its very fair share of ports & remakes to boot.

We never gave "false info to the masses" as you claim. In fact I say if someone can tell us on the forums what the actual number is please do so, and I also say "really" when he says the number or something like that as I too knew it did not sound right.

And since some people asked, the intro and ending music is my old band that I played bass in.

And I put the Robot Voice as a homage to the last podcast I did, we did the same thing, plus I did think it had a funny old school vibe to it.

Edited by DirtyLarry

Those sounds weren't random, it was to highlight the change in topic.

i.e the 360 boot sound when they started talking about the Elite, the Apple boot sound when they spoke about the iPhone etc. I liked it (Y)

First my cons: at times it seemed like the discussion was being dragged on, so to me, 90 minutes was too lengthy. It got to a point where I stopped listening (albeit at the end of the podcast), but not just because I felt like the discussion was being drawn out, but also because of Johnathan's accent. Most accents I can deal with, but there's something about yours that doesn't play nice with my ears, but don't take it to heart, there's no problem on your end, it's mine. In a nutshell, I'm not crazy about the voice and it's just something I'll have to deal with if I listen, obviously there's nothing for you to change about it. I could comment a little more on the voice part, but it's unnecessary and I don't want to come across as snobbish or rude since I really don't think I could convey it constructively.

The pros: The content was good and the great thing is I don't think you'll ever run out of things to discuss and review since the gaming industry isn't going anywhere. The discussion was healthy with valid points that give as good of a discussion both of you could provide, and you kept it so that you didn't sound like a fanboy, very important.

The suggestions: Someone already mentioned this before, but show prep would help in negating any unknowns and getting specific facts together so there's as little guessing as possible would help a lot. Playing a game from start to finish wouldn't be included in this, though it can help in the discussion, but not essential. Certain times it seemed like Larry's voice was a lot lower than Jonathan's, so I found myself adjusting the volume a few times.

Overall, I have a positive view of the podcast and I'm excited to see where you guys can take it.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the length of the show is something we have been very conscious about. Whilst we have a number of members who enjoy listening to marathon podcasts, the majority are probably going to prefer a more concise show. We're trying to cater for the masses here and balancing the two may prove difficult for the first few shows, but it?s something we want to address. As I commute on a daily basis, 90 minutes is a solid duration for me.

I'm sorry my accent is too difficult for you to understand. I'll purposely make extra effort for the next show not to sound as 'geordie' as usual, but I'm not making any promise:p:p

Preperation is something I particularly need to work on. Thanks to my nerves, it was quite easy for me to just throw some random numbers out there which in hindsight wasn't such a good idea. I'll be sure to iron this out

Those sounds weren't random, it was to highlight the change in topic.

i.e the 360 boot sound when they started talking about the Elite, the Apple boot sound when they spoke about the iPhone etc. I liked i(Y)Y)

The sounds definitely adds polish to the show. I'm very pleased with the overall quality of our first attempt, but there's plenty of stuff we can work on.

Sniff, this brings back memories. Glad to see an American and a British person doing this still, as I think the difference in the accents actually helps the show out. Haven't listened to it yet, but knowing Larry and Ynnoj I'm sure the discussion is quite good and informative.

Who knows, maybe one day I could make a guest starring show up thingie on here! (or not lol)

Sniff, this brings back memories. Glad to see an American and a British person doing this still, as I think the difference in the accents actually helps the show out. Haven't listened to it yet, but knowing Larry and Ynnoj I'm sure the discussion is quite good and informative.

Who knows, maybe one day I could make a guest starring show up thingie on here! (or not lol)

Of course that is definitely without a doubt an option. After-all, the very first podcast I did was with you, and as I said I put the Robot voice in the beginning as an homage to that podcast, as it had the same thing. :yes:

Good job guys, I usually don't listen to complete podcasts, i did finish this one though, it kept me interested enough .

Guess that counts for something. :)

Good job guys, I usually don't listen to complete podcasts, i did finish this one though, it kept me interested enough .

Guess that counts for something. :)

Yes indeed it does. (Y) Thanks for sure... :yes:

Nice podcast guys, kept me interested enough to listen through to the end, which doesn't usually happen when podcast's exceed an hour. (Also I sometimes can't find 2 hours solid to sit through and listen, and if I stop I often can't be bothered to come back to it)

Length wise I certainly wouldn't like to see it go under an hour, but then on the other end of the scale I wouldn't like it to go over two. :)

Any thoughts on when the next episode will be brought out? (1, 2, 3 weeks .. ?)

Just listened to it again, it's just that good (Y)

Oh and Larry, "Yeah, no one's home", had me in stitches :rofl:

Wow, that is a good sign.

What would you like to hear on the next episode?

I have no real suggestions, anything gaming related does it for me. Though I'd love to hear news from the PC scene and the latest releases, ( Empire, Dawn of War etc. ) in case you get a chance to test 'em out. I just love to hear other peoples opinions on games and game related news. :)

I have no real suggestions, anything gaming related does it for me. Though I'd love to hear news from the PC scene and the latest releases, ( Empire, Dawn of War etc. ) in case you get a chance to test 'em out. I just love to hear other peoples opinions on games and game related news. :)

Unfortunately, I generally don't play any PC games apart from the occasional TF2. So we may have to look for an alternative source for opinion there.

By the way, the RSS feed is now online. The show should be on iTunes within a couple of days.

http://feeds2.feedburner.com/NeowinCASTGamersEdition

Well Larry has his pc now for gaming, I'm sure he can show some input there :yes:

If I'm ever part of the podcast too I can chip in with pc news (Y)