[Official] ArmA 2 (PC) , Q2+ 2009

OP you're slacking, SO much information has been released on the game and you are nowhere to be found, tsk tsk :p

Oh and the game is multi-platform, should be moved to General GH.

It's made by Bohemia Interactive, the guys who created the first Operation Flashpoint - Maybe you heard about that? Armed Assault is basically them taking their 'game' and re-launching it under a new IP. The game has changed significantly since the OFP days with improved gameplay, graphics, new units etc. but beneath it all, it plays the same. Game is built on Bohemia's VBS1 engine, which is also used by military branches around the world, so the game is one of the most hardcore military simulators available, so it has been dumbed down for the sake of 'enjoyment', with huge maps, great multiplayer and co-op but it's still a very realistic game which does put a lot of people off.

As for giving the first Armed Assault a whirl ... Unless you are prepared to do some tweaking, limiting your RAM with various commands in Windows, don't bother. The current VBS engine has problems handling more than 3GB of ram in certain OS environments and despite multiple attempts to correct it, even their latest ( beta ) patch state it has been fixed, I still can't launch the game. I do believe my 4870X2 and 6GB ram plays a role in this, so your nVidia card may be alright ...

So if you are prepared to face some problems which can be fixed with tweaking, game is definitely worth checking out - It'll prepare you for ArmA II (Y)

I could launch ArmA without a problem. The problem is that the game is horrible. Launched in a year where many other games looked and controlled much better. The "zoom" use on the ACOG scope isn't even a real zoom. Everything was horrible in the game. Good thing I only spent $9.99 on it. I didn't feel so bad when I tossed it in the trash.

I could launch ArmA without a problem. The problem is that the game is horrible. Launched in a year where many other games looked and controlled much better. The "zoom" use on the ACOG scope isn't even a real zoom. Everything was horrible in the game. Good thing I only spent $9.99 on it. I didn't feel so bad when I tossed it in the trash.

Well, then you are obviously not effected by the 'bug' but it has actually been sorted in the 1.16 Beta patch, so I can finally play the game again (Y)

Well sorry to hear that, I think the game looks excellent with everything maxed, especially considering size and what the engine is capable of, plus playing Vanilla ArmA expecting the world is just daft, even the developers promote the use of Addons to improve the game experience. Today, there are some huge modifications focusing on various aspects of the game and improving it to create a lot more realism and add a whole slew of features. Example, A.C.E addon does a lot to the game, it's supposed to a hyper-realism addon while still being playable. Everything is tweaked and changed, even adds the medic / drag system being introduced in ArmA II, albeit a bit crude it works okay.

But I loved ArmA and glad it's not like the other trash games on the market, actually gives you the ability to experience atmospheric military scenarios and tons of replay value through the editor and a huge quality modding scene, a thing which barely any game can boast these days.

Wow! I'm sold! TrackIR 5 + Arma II = virtual ecstacy

ArmA II Pushed Up A Week

armaii.jpg

With Codemasters' Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising missing its originally planned summer release, original Flashpoint developer Bohemia Interactive scootches its spiritual successor's release up a week.

ArmA II will now be shipping for the PC on the 19th of June, one full week ahead of the originally planned release date. For awhile it seemed like Codemasters' Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and ArmA II would be hitting store shelves neck and neck, further fuelling the rivalry between fans who believe that Bohemia's games are the true Operation Flashpoint sequels and those supporting Codemasters' effort. The point is certainly moot now, with the delay of Dragon Rising separating the games by an entire season.

Consider this extra week icing on Bohemia fan's cake.

http://kotaku.com/5259606/arma-ii-pushed-up-a-week

**** YEAH :woot:

Wow! You don't hear about that too often. ArmA II is only a month away! I certainly can't wait to buy it.

ArmA was a fair let down and having watched trailers and whatnot on youtube on both OFP2 and ArmA 2 i'd have to give to OPF2 the game looks and sounds much more appealing then ArmA 2 which i have feeling looks more like a minor upgrade involving graphics technologies then game play or anything I wouldn't hold my breath on the AI improving much either certainly hope they've fixed the sub par audio too.

• 2 weeks later...
My weekend is booked.

<Snipped>

You sir, are so lucky. Let me know how your rig handles it.

how'd you get it already?

According to Wikipedia, the German release date is May 29.

German version has been released early.

can you buy it online, digital download that is :p

Nevermind i found it :D

Edited by ph0bia

You sir, are so lucky. Let me know how your rig handles it.

The game is smooth as butter! Everything set to "Very High", resolution cranked up to 1920x1200x32, Post Processing at Medium ( Very high looks too blurry ) yet I have no idea what my Anti-Aliasing settings are, my German skills failed me at that so have no idea whether it's even in the options menu or not. I can't believe how great the game looks and runs, some of the scenes easily look better than Crysis when you combine the huge terrain, the view distance and the atmosphere of the places, then the game is drop-dead gorgeous.

I mostly played around the Mission Editor which is pretty much where I spent all my time in previous Bohemia Interactive games. I just love to create my own battles, watching them play out and just being part of that combat atmosphere. The editor hasn't changed much at all, everything is pretty much the same as in ArmA and they buttons, keys and unit placement within the menus are exactly the same as before, so any ArmA player should feel right at home.

I briefly tried Multiplayer where I got an even bigger surprise, it's actually a ton of fun, even those little urban combat matches. In previous games, urban combat wasn't very sought after due to the engines horrible handling of collision and buildings, you would fall through floors, stairs and ledges, you could also walk through some doors and walls - So an unpredictable experience at best. They finally got a proper collision system added so there is NONE of that any more, everything is solid and glitch-free ( From what I could tell ), which made it a great experience. Plus, we played a night-mission which is usually a pretty 'meh' experience in old ArmA but now the moon and stars actually provide this almost eery feeling which is just amazing! So no need to walk around with Night-vision constantly. Also tiny fixes like reloading on the move speeds up the game, makes it more fluid.

Oh and they also fixed the lights from vehicles in the game, now you don't have this weird texturemap lag, you actually have a cone of light that lights up everything in front of it, the "lightmap" doesn't go under the car or lights up areas in huge squares and triangles ( ArmA veterans know what I mean ). I could go on and on about this game all day, any self-respecting ArmA player will love this like a child of their own and any new-comers should feel more comfortable and not having to raise eye-brows over the good ole' VBS engine flaws ( Some are still present but most of them are gone ).

I just need to point out the atmosphere of the game again, the sounds, the new lighting system and the vastness of the game is beyond this world, it'll even give STALKER a run for its money on pure atmospheric feel ( Okay, not all people might agree with me on STALKER but those that do knows what kinda goosebumps inducing effect that game could have ).

My excitement for this game was very high yet my expectations were pretty low, I was just expecting a polished and updated ArmA but the game is so much more than that!

I'll try and install FRAPS later for a sea of screenshots.

has the english verson been released early as well?? links! i wanna buy this like now!

Nope, only the German version so far, English version(s) are still slated for the 19th.