The Tragedy of Julius Caesar

Hey,

I'm writing a research paper on the julius caesar play by shakespeare, I was wondering if anyone has any links to any scholar reviews or opinions on the play. The main theme for the paper if Fate vs. Free Will. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

The only help I could give you would be go to Google, and do an advanced search only searching for sites that end in .edu. This way you know you're getting the best info. I'm reading this book in my English class, quite interesting how I can actually understand Shakespeare in this book.

google search, check out dmoz- there is bound to be a group on it; equally- check out newsgroups - there will be at least 1 shakespeare group.

well, i did some of the essay, have 3 pages done, need 5. here it is, tell me what ya guys think:

The Tragedy of Julius Caesar

As I considered my position on fate versus free will, I admit I could not formulate a concrete decision in my mind. I wasn't able to dismiss one position at the expense of the other, and was not able to convince myself that the two could possibly co exist. My own definition of fate and destiny are necessary to follow my train of thought. Fate or destiny is the ultimate plan designed for every human being regardless of race, creed, color, time and space.

The underlying message of it is that each and every one of us is set on a path by our "creator", "force" or "master". We are players manipulated by someone or something greater than ourselves. This "force" has designed our future and path, and while the small, minute aspects of our lives may be our choices, the grand scheme is fairly well determined before the first breath is taken. This philosophy is fairly grim. On a smaller scale, one could almost hear, "the devil made me do it". Are people born evil? Are people born to suffer? Are people born with the silver spoon in their mouths? Is a child doomed to fail, succeed, grow old, and die young, or lead armies to victory? The firm belief in destiny would answer yes to all these questions. Again, a dismal prospect to wake up to every morning.

Now I will define Free Will. Free will is the ability to have, understand, and weigh options. In it's simplest form it's good vs. evil, right vs. wrong, white vs. black. In it's more complex form it's the avenues, paths, and ways we take in everyday life to arrive at our desired conclusion. Within each choice there are more choices and more choices, and so on. Each decision we make leads us to another decision to make. Our lives are entwined within the paths and decisions of other people, each exercising their own free will. At some point, like a speeding train heading for a wreck, it becomes impossible for ones' free will to control a life. That train has a momentum of it's own powered by others, is one individual?s free will strong enough to redirect the train or to stop the wreck?

Now this brings to The Tragedy of Julius Caesar and how the theme of Fate vs. Free Will applies to it. Julius Caesar is in power of the Roman Republic at the time of its downfall. Many internal issues at this time can take blame for the demise of the empire, but the play does interpret one issue very well. This was killing of Julius Caesar by his own countrymen, and conflicts after. People believe that killing the king was justifiable, and some do not. The play acts out the foreshadowing events before the killing, and the downfall of the conspiracy after.

The play begins with Flavius and Marullus, two tribunals of Rome. Both of them begin to speak with some commoners in the area. Caesar is about to arrive from a victory from Pharsalus. The commoners are pleased with Caesar, and await his arrival with anxiousness:

Cobbler. Truly, sir, to wear out their shoes, to get myself into more work. But indeed, sir, we make holiday to see Caesar and to rejoice in his triumph.

(I,I,4)

Marullus replies with anger, he is obviously upset with the Cobbler because of what he said. He believes that Caesar and events that take place easily manipulate the crowd. He says:

Marullus. O you hard hearts, you cruel men of Rome, knew you not Pompey?

(I,I,4)

Marullus is upset that the commoners do not appreciate Pompey and all the he has done in the Empire. He proclaims that the people once took great pride in Pompey and loved him as an emperor of Rome. They were once glad to see Pompey pass the streets in Rome. This simple dialogue foreshadows events in the future.

One omen that takes place during the play is when Caesar makes his victory march after battle. The soothsayer says, ?Beware the Ides of March?(1). The Ides of March are the 15th of March, May, July, and October, and the 13th day of the other months on the Roman calendar. The Soothsayer basically says watch your back on those days. Caesar ignores him.

A select group of people, led by Cassius forms a conspiracy against Caesar. They want him out, so they decide that they are going to kill him. They do not want Caesar to become too powerful. Brutus, for example, does not want Caesar in power anymore because he fears his ambition. Was this justifiable? I?m not sure. There are different opinions on this issue.

Calphurnia has a dream in which the statue of Caesar is shooting blood. Decius Brutus enters and changes the story. He says the following:

Decius. This dream is all amiss interpreted; It was a vision fair and fortunate: Your statue spouting blood in many pipes, in which so many smiling Romans bathed, signifies that from you great Rome shall suck reviving blood, and that great men shall press for tinctures, stains, relics, andognizance. This by Calphurnia?s dream is signified.

(II,II,41)

(1) The Tragedy of Julius Caesar, approx. 47 BC (an Early Tragedy)?, Site created and designed by Matthew Monroe, 17 Apr. 2002 <http://jjorg.chem.unc.edu/personal/monroe/shakespeare/caesar.html>

formatting and stuff is messed up because i copied it from word. need another 2 pages. what do ya all think?