Microsoft Sued Over Homophobia Claims [Resolved]

If these were PUBLIC memos, or if he complained about it (and has proof of said complaints) then the target (microsoft) is legitmate. Otherwise, it's him suing for something Somone/some people specific were doing. He presents no proof that there was any disrespect from Microsoft itself, but instead one of it's employees, and until there is clear evidence that the harassment came from or was ignored by someone superior there is no case.

Did you even read the article?

i read he claimed he went to HR. I see no documentation, nor proof that they DIDN'T contact the trouble employees and he didn't return when there was no improvement. hell we have no proof that the harassment didn't stop after the ONE memo, except that he's waited 7 months, is still unemployed, and now suing. I wonder if he's put his resume out at all, would sure hurt the claim that the reason he isn't working is depression.

Read the article HR even admitted that a few months after the complaint they said they couldnt put out the memo till policy was written, they admitted to the fact that they ignored his request they are just fobbing him off.

Durrant's complaints to the human resources department resulted in nothing more than a promise to send round a memo on how to behave in a diverse workplace once the firm updated their official policies, which never happened.

If this were racial discrimination or sexual discrimination against a straight person (woman or otherwise) there would be a damn sight more done than just the promise of sending a memo out that never happened.

Read the summery, skimmed the article. Summery could have contained the fact that Microsoft admitted blame.

Whelp, then go after them, though honestly if he had issues the chain of command goes above HR, he still tried to resolve the problem.

Doesn't change the fact that 7 month gap of employment with no new job on the horizon seems likely to be just as big of a motivator as hurt feelings.

DOn't get me wrong, if he tried to resolve this and was ignored, Microsoft is totally a justifiable target and he has a legit complaint. Wasn't trying to say harassment is justifiable in any way.

Fair enough but a 7 month gap of employment isnt anything new in the current climate, a lot of my family have been made redundant and are struggling to find a job after 3-4 months and its not as if they are lazy theyve never not been in work since they were old enough to work for the most part.

You just lost all credibility saying racism is something people should just put up with.

It is. Racism is psychological. I think people get too worked up over stupid comments that only hit hard if they are somewhat true.

^ Its different strokes for different folks; some can tolerate it more than others.

Either way, a manager or supervisor has some explaining to do.

If these were PUBLIC memos, or if he complained about it (and has proof of said complaints) then the target (microsoft) is legitmate. Otherwise, it's him suing for something Somone/some people specific were doing. He presents no proof that there was any disrespect from Microsoft itself, but instead one of it's employees, and until there is clear evidence that the harassment came from or was ignored by someone superior there is no case.

If you do something wrong on company time then it does fall back to the employer, which is Microsoft. If what's being claimed is true then he needs to sue both Microsoft and individual(s) that were directly responsible.

Whether someone agrees with the sexual orientation of another person or not, does not automatically give a person the right to belittle and ridicule another person because of it. I thought immature high scool days were over.

If you do something wrong on company time then it does fall back to the employer, which is Microsoft. If what's being claimed is true then he needs to sue both Microsoft and individual(s) that were directly responsible.

Whether someone agrees with the sexual orientation of another person or not, does not automatically give a person the right to belittle and ridicule another person because of it. I thought immature high scool days were over.

exactly that's like if ballmer went and killed Job's who's going to get the blame Microsoft(sorry kind of irrelevant)

Well, when I look at a black man, I can tell they are black. When I look at a woman, I can tell they are a woman. Usually. Chances are, the only way anyone would know this guy was gay, is if he acted gay, or felt the need to blather on about it, like many are prone to do. More often than not, harassment starts, right or wrong, when the gay person acts like an annoying fruit and wants to flutter around like some sort of queen, drawing attention to his sexuality by bringing it up at every oppurtunity. Does that justify the harassment? No. I'm just being honest here when I say this. I'm not a homophobe, I have gay friends, and I realize not all of them choose to act like this. But the ones that act like their life is a gay rights parade get obnoxious after awhile.

Your post is really disgusting. I have to say that your lack of acceptance is staggering. I honestly don't know what to say, but I felt that I just HAD to post something.

Why shouldn't this man be allowed to be honest about who he is at work? Who's to say that he "fluttered" around or "brought it up at every opportunity"? I am a gay man, and I can tell you that 1) Not all of us flutter, and 2) The ones that do can't help that... It's who they are... It doesn't warrant treatment like this under any circumstances. And it certainly isn't a reflection of the type of person that is. As far as bringing it up at every opportunity, what exactly do you mean here? Are we not allowed to bring our partners to business functions (Though you can bring yours)? Is it taboo to have a picture of our partners on our desks?

Why does this make us any less of a person because it makes you uncomfortable. I somehow doubt you have many gay friends if that is your opinion... I would be very curious to know how they would react to seeing such an appalling post from you.

How do you "act" gay?

Harassment doesnt start when a gay person acts gay, it starts from when people find out you are gay, its happened to me no one knows i am gay till they make passing comments about why i dont have a girlfriend etc.. and i say nothing till they keep pushing it then i tell whoever it is i dont like women then the digs and abuse starts its ridiculous.

This guy probably did nothing wrong, do you really think he would choose to be harassed and continue to mince about the place, he might have a gay vibe about him it annoys me when people just automatically jump to the gay stereotype of a mincing queen with the voice, it also annoys me how people automatically assume that gays bring up sexuality at every opportunity.

Irrespective of wether he minced about or not no one deserves to be put into depression just because some immature t**ts think its funny to spread sexually discriminating emails.

I think the person whom you were replying to was pointing out those individuals who are attention seekers; not just gays who go about their daily business but those who want to make it known that they are gay and constantly bring up the topic every five seconds. There is a fine line between sitting on the coffee room talking about you did on the weekend along with everyone else - and people who feel as if their sexuality is the only component to who they are as a person.

For me, I've yet to experience any homophobia in the 12 years I have been out; why? because I don't bring up the topic unless I'm asked whether I have a partner or part of the conversation everyone else is participating in; I politely say that I don't have a boyfriend or if I did, participate in the conversation. People don't want to hear about your nocturnal habits quite frankly. There is a time and place for things and honestly I don't think your sexuality is of any interest in the work place.

Regarding jokes, there is a fine line between joshing around, yanking the chain - and being mean and vindictive. Quite honestly, as long as the jokes are all in good fun, I don't know why some people seem to think that everyone else should walk around on egg shells when they find they have a gay colleague; good lord, I'm not a precious snow flake that needs protection from a little office banter!

Edited by Macalicious

It is. Racism is psychological. I think people get too worked up over stupid comments that only hit hard if they are somewhat true.

Racism isn't always verbal. It can be physical or even violent.

Wow - It's amazing that people are still so ignorant in today's society. I don't approve of homosexuality, but I have several friends who are gay and it doesn't stop me from hanging out with them. Bashing someone because of their sexuality is so childish and immature. These people need to grow up. confused0006.gif

Wow - It's amazing that people are still so ignorant in today's society. I don't approve of homosexuality, but I have several friends who are gay and it doesn't stop me from hanging out with them. Bashing someone because of their sexuality is so childish and immature. These people need to grow up. confused0006.gif

Why should we be 'approved'?

If you find having sex with a male as gross - then that is cool, you're a heterosexual, you're turned on by the opposite sex but in no way should go around with a chip on your shoulder some how thinking that your approval or disapproval actually means anything beyond bigotry.

Suck in your bottom lip and handle the fact that you like twatt, I like c*ck - and your approval or disapproval means nothing; which begs the question why you even raise the issue of whether you approve or disapprove.

Bashing someone because of their sexuality is so childish and immature. These people need to grow up. confused0006.gif

Bashing someone because of their sexuality is one of my favorite things to do - provided they are a girl and straight haha!

/childish_comment

While I don't think there is enough information in this article to make a valid argument for either side, I think this says it best:

I think the person whom you were replying to was pointing out those individuals who are attention seekers; not just gays who go about their daily business but those who want to make it known that they are gay and constantly bring up the topic every five seconds. There is a fine line between sitting on the coffee room talking about you did on the weekend along with everyone else - and people who feel as if their sexuality is the only component to who they are as a person.

For me, I've yet to experience any homophobia in the 12 years I have been out; why? because I don't bring up the topic unless I'm asked whether I have a partner or part of the conversation everyone else is participating in; I politely say that I don't have a boyfriend or if I did, participate in the conversation. People don't want to hear about your nocturnal habits quite frankly. There is a time and place for things and honestly I don't think your sexuality is of any interest in the work place.

Regarding jokes, there is a fine line between joshing around, yanking the chain - and being mean and vindictive. Quite honestly, as long as the jokes are all in good fun, I don't know why some people seem to think that everyone else should walk around on egg shells when they find they have a gay colleague; good lord, I'm not a precious snow flake that needs protection from a little office banter!

I think discrimination comes from the fact that a lot of people think they deserve preferential treatment because they are gay, of a different race etc. and this breeds resentment from the rest of the population. There are no "straight pride" parades, why should there be a "gay pride." What you do in the privacy of your own bedroom is your own business, but when you open the floor by bragging (probably not the right word, but I'm tired) about your sexual escapades, you open the door to criticism about your lifestyle as well. EVERYONE should be treated EQUAL, it shouldn't matter if you're gay, straight, black, white, up, down, liberal, conservative, etc. NO ONE deserves special treatment because of these.

We don't know how this got started. Maybe this fellow started with small jokes about his sexuality which led to more by his coworkers. While it would still be unacceptable, the "he started it" philosiphy (I know I spelled it wrong) will come into play and would affect his case.

Your post is really disgusting. I have to say that your lack of acceptance is staggering. I honestly don't know what to say, but I felt that I just HAD to post something.

Why shouldn't this man be allowed to be honest about who he is at work? Who's to say that he "fluttered" around or "brought it up at every opportunity"? I am a gay man, and I can tell you that 1) Not all of us flutter, and 2) The ones that do can't help that... It's who they are... It doesn't warrant treatment like this under any circumstances. And it certainly isn't a reflection of the type of person that is. As far as bringing it up at every opportunity, what exactly do you mean here? Are we not allowed to bring our partners to business functions (Though you can bring yours)? Is it taboo to have a picture of our partners on our desks?

Why does this make us any less of a person because it makes you uncomfortable. I somehow doubt you have many gay friends if that is your opinion... I would be very curious to know how they would react to seeing such an appalling post from you.

Must have hit a nerve. I'm not saying he was, I'm saying he could have been that type. Are you honestly saying you've never been around a gay man that thinks his world revolves around his sexuality? What's staggering is your complete incapability to comprehend what you've read without getting your panties in a twist. However, none of this makes me 'uncomfortable' in the least...I said it was annoying. There's a difference. I'm not revolted by them, I'm saying that they, the fluttery queen types, get on my nerves. Can you fathom the difference?

people have always made fun or make jabs at the different person, the guy that stands out, clearly he isnt the ONLY person at the office teased....

this is in no way microsofts fault, he should be talking more with his supervisors or head office about be harassed ..

I think discrimination comes from the fact that a lot of people think they deserve preferential treatment because they are gay, of a different race etc. and this breeds resentment from the rest of the population. There are no "straight pride" parades, why should there be a "gay pride."

The Pride Parades began because the community was being discriminated upon (Greatly, have you heard of Stonewall?), and were not being afforded equal treatment or rights... We still are not afforded equal treatment or rights, and most recent statistics show that physical attacks against gays are higher now than any other minority.

Now, I will be the firs to admit that the Pride Parades have gotten way out of hand, but that's what started them...

The Pride Parades began because the community was being discriminated upon (Greatly, have you heard of Stonewall?), and were not being afforded equal treatment or rights... We still are not afforded equal treatment or rights, and most recent statistics show that physical attacks against gays are higher now than any other minority.

Now, I will be the firs to admit that the Pride Parades have gotten way out of hand, but that's what started them...

See, this is where I have a problem with people on here. They chose to focus in on one point in a post and disregard the rest of the post.

You do have to admit that, at least it seems to me, the world today has become a very PC kind of place? In fact, I believe that we may have gone to far in the other way. REGARDLESS OF RACE OR SEXUAL PREFERENCE, we are all HUMAN and deserve the EXACT same treatment.

Regardless of why they started, the reason for them today is simply frivolous. I believe that gays would find a lot less discrimination if they didn't try to force there belief systems on other people. What gives them the right to shut down a city for hours to have a parade when, just because I'm not gay, I don't get one. No one says this, though, because, it wouldn't be politcaly correct to do so!

My point is that no one should get preferential treatment, everyone should be treated equally.

If it's creating a hostile work environment, then I believe he's within his own rights to talk to whoever he needs to in order for it to stop. Teasing is generally not the greatest idea unless you are sure the person you're targeting is comfortable and perhaps know each other on a well enough level. This however simply seems too far. If his superiors didn't bother to do anything about it, then perhaps they need an ass chewing. While I believe he also probably should have told the people making the comments to stop, it may have only escalated the matter onto a more personal level.

Someone shouldn't fear going to work simply because of their own sexual preference. The only thing people should fear is the work itself, and perhaps the boss known for tearing people's heads off.

rather than E45,000 id aim for E500,000 that way when they try to get you to settle for lower you have a helluva cushion to negotiate with

if your straight... keep it in your pants

if your gay ...... keep it in your a**

if your lesbian keep it in your bra

thats all to way about current jobs these days

I can't help but thinking there's more to this story, though. There's no way MS would let one of its sister companies away with something like this, especially at this time, with all the publicity around windows 7. The last thing they would want is negative press in regards to a situation like this.