Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Damo R.

Star Trek Into Darkness

1,130 posts in this topic

Missed a lot of this thread but I need to throw this in. The borg could easily work because they haven't had the same amount of time to assimilate as much technology, so we would definitely see a different sort of borg if this happened.

Missed a lot of this thread but I need to throw this in. The borg could easily work because they haven't had the same amount of time to assimilate as much technology, so we would definitely see a different sort of borg if this happened.

But at this point in history (If the events of "First Contact" and "Drone" still happened) the Borg are still far in the Delta Quadrant. They didn't make it to the Beta Quadrant until the TNG era, and never made it to the Alpha Quadrant until the events of "The Best of Both Worlds".

But at this point in history (If the events of "First Contact" and "Drone" still happened) the Borg are still far in the Delta Quadrant. They didn't make it to the Beta Quadrant until the TNG era, and never made it to the Alpha Quadrant until the events of "The Best of Both Worlds".

It's Star Trek, anything could happen :p

It's Star Trek, anything could happen :p

Yes, but continuity reigns supreme. If you can keep your story straight, don't expect high marks on your work. :p Since Nero's incursion happened after the events of 'Enterprise', I'm suspecting that the events of "Drone" still happened, HOWEVER, since they were based off of "First Contact", which HASN'T happened yet, and might not happen anymore, than all bets are off if the Borg are even aware of Earth's existance, and have sent out a cube to investigate the source of the Borg Singnal recieved from Earth Starfleet territory, which means they're safely tucked away in the Delta Quadrant for the time being.

My head hurts....

What I mean is, the alternative reality thing has allowed them to explain any new and strange story shift with "it's an alternate reality" and "the butterfly effect" (or whatever they'd call it in Star Trek, "temporal divergence ripples"?)

If it's too weird and off point, it'll be a lame justification, but they could do it if they wanted to :)

I'd rather they didn't, the Borg have been done, and done enough. They got their movie in first contact, enough already! How about something else?

Tribbles get introduced to earth by accident and they take over?

Enterprise gets thrown into a galaxy far far away?

Star Trek: Into Darkness ?

http://m.superherohype.com/news/articles/172589-is-jj-abrams-taking-a-star-trek-into-darkness

Is J.J. Abrams Taking a Star Trek Into Darkness?

Tomorrow, September 8th, marks the 46th anniversary of Gene Roddenberry's "Star Trek", but SuperHero Hype is celebrating a little early with a juicy rumor to share. We've been been told that the 2013 J.J. Abrams sequel has chosen a title and will hit theaters as Star Trek Into Darkness.

Although we have not yet been able to officially confirm said title, the domain names www.startrekintodarkness.com and www.startrekintodarknessmovie were both registered yesterday through Markmonitor, an anonymous domain registry service that just so happens to have been utilized by Paramount Pictures for recent URLs like their official G.I. Joe: Retaliation site.

We'll bring you confirmation as soon as it's available, but what is certain is that the film will star Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin, Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller with a screenplay by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Damon Lindelof and that it will hit theaters on May 17, 2013 in 2D, 3D theaters and IMAX 3D versions.

When I read into darkness as the subtitle I got immediate thoughts of the universe blackening out like in Dr Who.

ooo sounds good!

I like that subtitle!!!

Id love a new trek series, I was a total fan of Next Gen, DS9 and Voyager but I really liked Voyager because the new tech that was being seen in the later series. I miss getting toward the end of a DS9 season on Sky One but being happy because it meant a new Season of Voyager was going to be following the next week - and vice versa

1 person likes this

I like that subtitle!!!

It's not a subtitle... the title is actually "Star Trek into Darkness" (e.g. no colon). I bring this up because it is apparently a big deal as far as the meaning... so we'll see :)

Maybe someone should update the thread title?

TrekMovie has an update on our earlier story regarding the title for the Star Trek sequel We can now confirm the title that has been chosen by JJ Abrams and Paramount for the 2013 movie. More details below.

Sequel title: "Star Trek Into Darkness"

TrekMovie has confirmed with multiple sources that "Star Trek Into Darkness" has been selected as the title for the 2013 sequel to JJ Abrams? Star Trek movie. This is a title that comes out of a long process of discussion amongst the creative team.

As reported earlier, Paramount tested a number of titles for the film over the summer, including at least one title that did not include "Star Trek." Also noted in our earlier article, the title (by design) does not include a colon, like were used for the Next Generation films such as "Star Trek: First Contact" or "Star Trek: Nemesis."

While Paramount will not officially confirm the news, multiple sources have told TrekMovie this is the title they are going with as of now. It has also been reported by

ComingSoonthat Paramount has secured the domain names to both www.startrekintodarkness.comand www.startrekintodarknessmovie.com, neither of which has any content.

As for the title itself, "Into Darkness" does not reveal anything specific about the plot. So for those who were hoping for "Star Trek Khan" or "The Revenge of Gary Mitchell" you are out of luck. However, "Into Darkness" certainly gives us a hint that this film could have a serious tone and perhaps darker theme than the 2009 Star Trek film. On the other hand the title is also evocative of Star Trek?s core mission of going into the ?darkness? of space, to seek out new life and new civilizations. Of course the current Trek team often point to Christopher Nolan?s Batman trilogy as inspiration, with the second film in that series being titled "The Dark Knight" which itself had some very dark themes. Is this Trek sequel Star Trek?s "Dark Knight"? As that film grossed $1B world wide, I imagine Paramount is certainly hoping it is.

According to sources, the creative team are still working on how they will officially roll out this new title. The first acknowledgement will likely be made with some kind of visual treatment, either a type treatment for the title or possibly even a teaser poster or image. Indications are that this official roll out should be coming soon.

What do you think?

Sound off below and in our new poll on the title.

At a promotional junket for Dredd, Karl Urban may just have let slip who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek sequel. When asked by SFX what it was like having the Sherlock actor on set, Urban replied:

?He?s awesome, he?s a great addition, and I think his Gary Mitchell is going to be exemplary.?

If that's true, then I guessed right back in October 2010. :laugh: It'd make for a very interesting movie.

What I mean is, the alternative reality thing has allowed them to explain any new and strange story shift with "it's an alternate reality" and "the butterfly effect" (or whatever they'd call it in Star Trek, "temporal divergence ripples"?)

If it's too weird and off point, it'll be a lame justification, but they could do it if they wanted to :)

Yes, but only because history isn't the same. I'm not saying it's impossible for the Borg to appear in the TOS era but I think it's highly unlikely. As Dot Matrix said, they're still in the delta quadrant in Kirk's time. Unless time travel (or an omnipotent godlike entity) is involved, I don't see how the Borg could show up. Also, I think we've seen enough of the Borg. I'd like to see something new.

In the Star Trek books there was a next gen story where a lot of TOS episodes were linked to problems caused by Q, before they ever met Q. This included the barrier and the force that gave Mitchell his powers. It was actually from an evil being on the other side of the barrier that Q had battled and foiled and the Q continuum "lamed" and kept outside of our galaxy.

In the Star Trek books there was a next gen story where a lot of TOS episodes were linked to problems caused by Q, before they ever met Q. This included the barrier and the force that gave Mitchell his powers. It was actually from an evil being on the other side of the barrier that Q had battled and foiled and the Q continuum "lamed" and kept outside of our galaxy.

You mean the thing in the 5th Star Trek movie?

I like the title. Very mysterious.

Rumors have it the Enterprise is getting a design change. Good. The JJprise is the worst thing I've seen in Trek in a long time. In no way shape or form is this Enterprise at all "sleek" or "stylish".

You mean the thing in the 5th Star Trek movie?

No in the novels Q faced 0 (I'm not making that up btw lol) and Sha'Ka'Re was a cohort (but not the same entity or species or what have you) of 0 along with a couple other evil entities. The Q Continuum created the Galactic Barrier to keep 0 from ever getting back into our galaxy (even though he existed outside our space time continuum to begin with...whatever lol) but he "seeped" in at some point which lead to the novels and what transpired there. Eventually Q himself (not the whole Q, but Q Q lol) merged with the Calamarain (I think) and became a new entity and shored up the barrier so 0 could never get back again, and there wouldn't be anymore Gary Mitchell episodes etc :D

I have to much time on my hands.

Damn, almost another year before we get a sequal :(

xiOIr.jpg

(87000!)