Star Trek Into Darkness

He signed a contract to do 3 films so after the 3rd film, we shall see. Leonard Nimoy made that mistake back the days and he wanted to be killed off in ST 2, and he did, because he wanted off ST for good but then reality came in and he realized how important Spock really was and he changed his mind and came back.

Quinto quitting the role of Spock would be stupid.

Here?s the official synopsis for Star Trek Into Darkness:

In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes ?Star Trek Into Darkness.?

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

Based on the synopsis there are quite a few people who are thinking

Garth of Izar

If we're listening to http://www.policymic.com/articles/16041/star-trek-into-darkness-movie-spoilers-and-rumors-benedict-cumberbatch-is-gary-Mitchell, it's probably Gary Mitchell:

?It?s definitely a character that will make fans of TOS excited. Think along the likes of Harry Mudd, or Trelane, or Gary Mitchell, or the Talosians or the Horta. Actually, it?s one of those that I named."

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Talosians come back :)

Liking the new posters but don't they smack of the Dark Knight Raising?

Not a bad thing, just saying.

Most likely to pique the interest of a more mainstream audience. Hence the prominence of "Into Darkness" - you see those words before you see it's actually a "Star Trek" movie.

Also - that looks like future London in the poster background - definitely the Gherkin on the right!

Most likely to pique the interest of a more mainstream audience. Hence the prominence of "Into Darkness" - you see those words before you see it's actually a "Star Trek" movie.

Also - that looks like future London in the poster background - definitely the Gherkin on the right!

I dunno if they have to do much to get more people to see it. The first one made a good chunk of money and I doubt it was just on the back of die hard trek fans alone. At least not if you compare it's domestic box office numbers compared to the past ones.

Maybe it's Nero's brother that's come back from the future again and like, he wants to recreate the Mass Effect 3 London trailer scenerio?

Also, until I realized that was the Starfleet insignia in the poster, I swear I thought I was looking at a Borg ship exploding outwards or something. Not to mention, if that's Gary Mitchell...he's totally different looking than in TOS. Plus I severely doubt it's Harry Mudd (even if tons of people would love to see him show up) simply because how the hell are they going to turn literally a pirate dude into a credible threat to not only Starfleet but the Federation itself? What's he going to do, invade with a legion of female androids that take over everything?

Hmmm, that could work...

• Like 1

Really wish they'd re-imagine The Borg in the new Star Trek movie..

Yeah but if they were to do that, how would they ever be able to defeat them realistically? I mean, sure the Borg are only as powerful as the technology they assimilate (I would assume they would continue to do this in the rebootverse) but they are still pretty much unstoppable more or less. Only on Voyager could they get destroyed for 38 minutes and then in the final 4 minutes of the episode defeat them easier than Picard getting some earl grey tea.

Yeah but if they were to do that, how would they ever be able to defeat them realistically? I mean, sure the Borg are only as powerful as the technology they assimilate (I would assume they would continue to do this in the rebootverse) but they are still pretty much unstoppable more or less. Only on Voyager could they get destroyed for 38 minutes and then in the final 4 minutes of the episode defeat them easier than Picard getting some earl grey tea.

Well they found ways to beat them in The Next Generation too but that was always part of the menace of The Borg - being something of an ever-present danger, and an unstoppable force from some far away end of the galaxy.

The borg probably wouldn't be anywhere as advanced due to not assimilating nearly as many species yet. They may not even be able "assimilate" (due to not acquiring the tech yet) so there's plenty of scope to examine the roots of the Borg.

...however, isn't it postulated that kirk and his crew may have accidentally created the Borg during the whole V'ger incident in The Motion Picture? They may not even exist in this timeline!

I doubt they will, but yeah - the Borg were great villains but voyager made them weak.

Voyager made everyone weak. Apparently there was no foe that good old attack pattern delta couldn't stop ;) It was pretty clear that they were just milking ST once they started making Voyager.

• Like 1