Star Trek Into Darkness

You haven't answered my question. What I don't understand is how you've already made up your mind about the movie after watching a 1-minute trailer teaser. You seem to dislike things that blow up but you enjoyed watching the first movie (which had a lot of explosions and action sequences).

So, I ask again... why do you think this one is going to be bad after watching a 1-minute teaser? By the way, the teaser showed more than just explosions and action sequences. I've only seen it a couple of times but I recall seeing only one explosion.

I enjoyed the first one because it is an origin story, retold. There are differences like Spock embracing his emotions that set this 'universe' off on a tangent where it can be new and fresh, I enjoyed the film but was excited about the future of the franchise where it's not bogged down by 6 shows and 10 films worth of canon.

Star Trek isn't an action show, its about exploration of not only space but what it means to be a human in the wider multi species universe, finding our way, making friends as well as enemies.

It's not about blowing stuff up and running around on planets with phasers.

JJ is treating the Star Trek aspect like the means to an end, the necessary evil to be able to tell his story, the only 'Trek' thing about the original film was the ship and even then he threw out everything about the ship just so it would look cool on the big screen, like engineering, I like that its not a pristine shiny room but it looked just like a factory and don't even get me started about the 'warp cores' nonsense.

I love the technology of Trek and JJ has gutted everything just to appeal to the general public.

The reason I am hating the film over the 1 minute teaser is that its going in the direction I feared, more action and explosions. The first movies trailer wasn't this action orientated.

Yeah. Because Star Trek is totally based on reality.

Star Trek has always been based on real life science, while it does take a bit of artistic freedom, the tech is derived from things that COULD exist in the real world.

It's not about being real-world realistic, it's about operating within the limits of the universe itself. Star Trek's science was always at least paid lip service to real science, and keeping this in mind, basic things like pressures and the dynamics of atmospheres were always observed.

I guess that's why I'm not bothered by the water scene. Such a feat is easily hand-waved away by fact that the new Enterprise is a ship that we now know can survive super close proximity to a black hole, and then an immensely violent anti-matter explosion right after, and keep on flying happily. Being underwater a few hundred meters shouldn't matter. I mean the pressure from a black hole has to be way worse than a comparatively shallow ocean right?

...Or maybe they diverted power from the deflector to the structural integrity fields. That always seems to do the trick. :laugh: .

Well, as I said, I'm not a what you'd call a fan (despite that I think I've seen ever star trek movie new and old) so I honestly don't know much about it. Still, point remains. It's a sci-fi movie. Suspension of disbelief is required.

I'm not a huge Trekkie....I love the TV series (even Voyager to be fair, didn't care much for Enterprise or DS9) and know a little opf the back story but most of what has been said about Mitchell went over my head until I Wiki'ed.

what I will say is in the teaser, the Benedict Cumberbatch character was indeed wearing Star fleet insignia on his brest......kinda plays into what most are saying.

Part of me kinda hopes it's Decker :) Although we probably haven't reached that point in the timeline...however perhaps the temporal mechanics can be fanwanked :)

The Japanese teaser is a little bit longer. I'm convinced that the villain is

Gary Mitchell

Looks like it. And also

Dehner

too!

Look at the end of the japanese trailer that was posted earlier. Looks like they've tried to recreate this scene:

twok1178.jpg

Screen cap from the trailer - cant quite tell if it's through glass or not:

post-33944-0-32624100-1354801631.png

Sure it's not Khan???? :p

I picked up on that scene as well but I don't want to jump to any conclusions right now. I'm sure with a few more trailers we'll get a better idea.

I'm excited though, this sequel should've been out already IMO.

I enjoyed the first one because it is an origin story, retold. There are differences like Spock embracing his emotions that set this 'universe' off on a tangent where it can be new and fresh, I enjoyed the film but was excited about the future of the franchise where it's not bogged down by 6 shows and 10 films worth of canon.

Star Trek isn't an action show, its about exploration of not only space but what it means to be a human in the wider multi species universe, finding our way, making friends as well as enemies.

It's not about blowing stuff up and running around on planets with phasers.

JJ is treating the Star Trek aspect like the means to an end, the necessary evil to be able to tell his story, the only 'Trek' thing about the original film was the ship and even then he threw out everything about the ship just so it would look cool on the big screen, like engineering, I like that its not a pristine shiny room but it looked just like a factory and don't even get me started about the 'warp cores' nonsense.

I love the technology of Trek and JJ has gutted everything just to appeal to the general public.

The reason I am hating the film over the 1 minute teaser is that its going in the direction I feared, more action and explosions. The first movies trailer wasn't this action orientated.

Star Trek has always been based on real life science, while it does take a bit of artistic freedom, the tech is derived from things that COULD exist in the real world.

There's room for Star Trek to grow and possibly become something better because it's a remake. It's an alternate reality so they're not disregarding the main Star Trek universe. If the villain is who I think it is (so far, everything points to

Gary Mitchell

), then we're in for an even better adventure than the first movie. Trust me when I say that I'm a huge fan of Star Trek for the reasons you mentioned but times have changed. Star Trek is becoming a little more mainstream and a movie for it is bound to have lots of action, explosions, and realistic special effects.

I thought J.J. Abrams did an amazing job with the first movie and I have no reason to doubt him now. The more it feels like Star Trek, the more I'll like it. We'll have a better feel for the movie when they release a full trailer. I have a feeling that it'll be less action-packed so who knows, maybe you'll like it then.

Looks like it. And also

Dehner

too!

I noticed the same thing too. I thought it would be a good story for the sequel back in 2010 and I'm glad I was right.

Is it just me, or does the ship crashing at the end look like an olde timey Constitution Class?

It looks like the same re-imagined Constitution class from the first movie. The original Constitution class looks simpler.

2010-12-22_112123_star-trek-enterprise-comparison.jpg

It looks like the same re-imagined Constitution class from the first movie. The original Constitution class looks simpler.

The only reason I thought it, is because you can see the engine nacelles are slim, and not the unsightly bulky ones the Enterprise has, which makes me think it's another ship.

post-420821-0-51573400-1354804918.png

That pic with Zoe Saldana kind of looks like the inside of sovereign class deflector array, wonder if they are inside a wrecked ship. Maybe the one that crashes into the water?

Sovereign_class_deflector_dish,_damaged.jpg

Truely awful, the morons will lap it up because it has things blowing up, this isn't Star Trek, they are ruining the franchise by riding on the name, **** JJ Abrams, overrated twunt.

They are SAVING the franchise. It had been allowed to flounder, stagnate, and crash.

A full trailer.comes out Dec. 14th, and a 9 minute segment will show before the IMAX version of The Hobbit.

BTW: Trek starship tech includes 'structural integrity fields' which reinforce the structure. Water pressure = no problem.

post-420821-0-51573400-1354804918.png

I'm wondering if they don't have a young Deanna Troy at the helm in this movie.... :laugh: Nobody can crash the Enterprise quite like she can.

I welcome some action, got all on dvd, seen all many times, saw most of the tv shows. Not a geek to the series.. ask me detail question and i'd prob not know but again. I welcome some nice action into the series. This one looks amazing from just the teaser alone :woot:

They are SAVING the franchise. It had been allowed to flounder, stagnate, and crash.

JJ Abrahams is making giving Star Trek the level of quality and cinematography is deserves. Anyone who thinks there is too much action or things blowing up is blind and crazy. Rick Berman and his team bored us to death with his silly take on Star Trek. Proof of that is the failure of The Next Generation films at the box office. All were an epic fail, except for First Contact. And why did First Contact make it big? Very simple. It had action, it wasn't boring like the rest of them.

I don't go to the movies to see a 2 hour long TV episode of Star Trek on a limited budget. I want to see the Enterprise in action, kicking ass and taking punishment. I don't want to see dialog for 2 hours. Star Trek deserves Star Wars-like visual effects and action and that is what JJ Abrahams is doing and he is doing one hell of a good job.

JJ Abrahams is making giving Star Trek the level of quality and cinematography is deserves. Anyone who thinks there is too much action or things blowing up is blind and crazy. Rick Berman and his team bored us to death with his silly take on Star Trek. Proof of that is the failure of The Next Generation films at the box office. All were an epic fail, except for First Contact. And why did First Contact make it big? Very simple. It had action, it wasn't boring like the rest of them.

First Contact also has silly dialogue, is dumb conceptually, and is overrated, imo. Might as well not make Star Trek movies if your goal is to make them all like First Contact. If classic Star Trek doesn't work well on the big screen, just bring back a TV series. The latter Star Trek TNG movies were dumb as well, although I think Generations is underrated.

First Contact also has silly dialogue, is dumb conceptually, and is overrated, imo. Might as well not make Star Trek movies if your goal is to make them all like First Contact. If classic Star Trek doesn't work well on the big screen, just bring back a TV series. The latter Star Trek TNG movies were dumb as well, although I think Generations is underrated.

Generations was the worst. Cheap, recycled visual effects. Soap Opera boring dialog. Senseless scenes and the worst part and most insulting: The death of Captain Kirk. The way it was done and handled was an absolute disgrace.

Generations was the worst. Cheap, recycled visual effects. Soap Opera boring dialog. Senseless scenes and the worst part and most insulting: The death of Captain Kirk. The way it was done and handled was an absolute disgrace.

The way it was done actually made sense if you understood the point of the script.. which was how two different men (Picard and Soran) faced the idea of their own mortality and smallness differently. The fact that Kirk died in a small way was significant, because the point is Kirk is like any other man, small, fragile, mortal. Fireworks don't go off when you die, you're just a body that goes in the ground. The basic outline of the plot was much deeper than the other Star Trek movies.

The "B story" stuff in the movie with the Duras sisters and the stuff on the Holodeck, etc. put in just to make the movie lighter and appeal to fans cheapened the rest of the script.

Oh and the movie looked better than the other TNG films visually.

• Like 1