Photo

Play MKV files on Xbox 360 without transcoding

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 damyang

damyang

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2009 - 22:17

Yeaaah, man.. I just love those tiny little hints, Audiboxer, which turn your mind on, to figure out a solution. I've got a winner now.

I said to myslef, to hell with WMC, let me use WMP12 on PC to send streaming signal to XBOX360 (not from WMC on XBOX360 to recieve it). When XBOX360 is configured as Extender to WMC and turned on, WMP12 lets you use command "right click to video / Play to / XBOX360".

I've found Advanced settings in WMP12: Left Alt / Tools / Options / Devices / Advanced

You may see that there is the first checkbox checked by default "Allow video files to convert in the background". All you have to do is to uncheck this setting. Video goes to Extender in a second, without buffering (if converting is enabled, buffering takes some time).

I've tested the fourth checkbox also "Choose quality over speed when converting video (increases the conversion time)" while having first one checked also --> result was also good, bot the processor was quite busy this time, so I preffer disabling converting at all and having processor not busy.

Note: Of course, don't forget to get Haali Media Splitter for Matroska (MKV) installed (or any other solution), so WMP12 may recognize this kind of video container any play it (no need for extra x.264 decoder/codec though, because Windows 7 already have it).

Hope this helped someone!

#47 damyang

damyang

Neowinian

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:14

Can't get mine post to edit :huh: or did not find the function button?!

Nevertheless, post above needs edit for Note at the bottom...

I managed to stream MKV video only on x86 Win7 RC by playing around: not just installingHaali Media Splitter for MKV, but registry patch for MKV to show in WMP library(!) and MAYBE ffdshow-tryouts (not sure if this one is neccessary, but it was installed when it was working).
source: http://a8t8.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2...8!220.entry

Well, x64 Win7 RC did not have that luck. I managed to play MKVs in WMP12 only by using Haali (even though it is only x86 edition), but in WMC played only when x64 registry patch was installed and MAYBE Gabest MKV Splitter (I installed both at the same time and restarted, so I cannot be sure which one did the magic, if not both). Whenever trying to stream MKV video to Extender by using "Play to" from WMP12, WMC on Extender gave error that there is no codec to play this content?!
Same source for x64: http://a8t8.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2...8!141.entry

There are many similiar instructions all over the internet.

Testing all this stuff take a lot of time and lots of restarts, so I did not cover all possible combination yet. I went to sleep at 2.30 am :blink:

edit: oh, edit button works here, but did not work on last post, because I am at workplace now :) not at home

#48 daz-

daz-

Undisputed Champ

Posted 04 May 2009 - 16:32

No.

H264 + DTS or TrueHD is the best combination, followed by AC3.

It's an open source format, Microsoft own WMV/WM9/WMA which makes encoding it even more of a pain in the ass as you have to use/pay for propitiatory software.

There's your biggest reason H264 and MKV are the most popular for rippers, it costs nothing to be able to encode. I encode my Blu Rays and can do one in roughly a days work.

E6600 @ 3.4ghz and 4GB of ram.

H264 is also DXVA compliant by the way, if you encode it correctly.

MKV is just the container, you can easily mux to other containers. The issue here is MS not supporting enough codecs/combinations with the 360, most other media servers like the PS3/Popcorn Hour/etc can easily play what's contained within MKV files.

If they've not been ripped to DXVA standards you may need to transcode or patch the H264 video stream, but that shouldn't be an issue if you're ripping your own movies as you just re-rip. If you're downloading you've got no real "right" to be moaning about anything :p

ps. Ideal scenario is not to encode anything at all, modern day Blu Rays are encoded in AVC, meaning you just rip the disc and the M2TS file will playback natively on many players, PS3 included. A lot of people still encode though as an untouched Blu Ray movie ranges around 25GB+ and the encode can be up to or even less than half the size for no real quality loss.

LOL, No.

Actually Yes.

h.264 + DTS is just as closed/open as WMV. The WMV encoder is free and easy to call in 3rd party programs. It doesn't cost anything to encode with WMV.

My point for WMV is that its the most fully complete solution, which streams from dial-up to archive bit-rates, supports mono voice through 7.1 lossless surround. And it's tightly integrated, so the audio and video work well together and it has a tuned container to ensure smooth playback.

I don't deny h.264 + DTS + mkv can work well together, but it wasn't designed from the ground up to work well together. In fact is it wasn't designed to work together from the beginning. And from a business perspective you have multiple vendors and licensing to deal with, and no one for full support (who do you call if the MKV container is screwing up?).

Obviously the ideal solution is not to TRANSCODE anything, but people still do it. I'm saying we should have one, or maybe two fully supported standards. That way I don't have to worry if a video I download will work on my iPhone, or my Mac, or my WD TV, or my Zune (for those who own them).

Also note, many Blu-Ray titles use VC-1 which is actually WMV9 Corona.

#49 mad_onion

mad_onion

In varietate concordia

Posted 05 May 2009 - 13:16

Yeaaah, man.. I just love those tiny little hints, Audiboxer, which turn your mind on, to figure out a solution. I've got a winner now.

I said to myslef, to hell with WMC, let me use WMP12 on PC to send streaming signal to XBOX360 (not from WMC on XBOX360 to recieve it). When XBOX360 is configured as Extender to WMC and turned on, WMP12 lets you use command "right click to video / Play to / XBOX360".

I've found Advanced settings in WMP12: Left Alt / Tools / Options / Devices / Advanced

You may see that there is the first checkbox checked by default "Allow video files to convert in the background". All you have to do is to uncheck this setting. Video goes to Extender in a second, without buffering (if converting is enabled, buffering takes some time).

I've tested the fourth checkbox also "Choose quality over speed when converting video (increases the conversion time)" while having first one checked also --> result was also good, bot the processor was quite busy this time, so I preffer disabling converting at all and having processor not busy.

Note: Of course, don't forget to get Haali Media Splitter for Matroska (MKV) installed (or any other solution), so WMP12 may recognize this kind of video container any play it (no need for extra x.264 decoder/codec though, because Windows 7 already have it).

Hope this helped someone!

wow, this is perfect timing for me. my 360 which i bought for extender is coming on thursday. so this thread has been really useful and informative.

it sounds like most of my videos are going to work fine as they are divx. i will definitely try to get mkv support working with the method you give and i will be using 32bit 7 so hopefully i should have some luck.

#50 Vohaul

Vohaul

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 10 December 2011 - 18:25

Hey All,

First off, im sorry im briniging this topic back from the dead, but i was having issues with getting my xbox 360 setup with the extender etc.

I have the same problem as the initial poster....mkv files look fine on my screen (when on computer) but when run through extender --> xbox 360 --> projector --> 12 foot screen they looked like low res jpegs....

I used the original posters method with "muxing" and it seems far better...but im curious...since the original post is 2 years old..is this still the best way of doing it? is there a better way now with an update to stream....

Some background...

Machine is running win 7 media centre..(intel core 2 duo..e6700 8 gigs ram etc...) all network between machines, xbox is hardwired....xbox runs composite (set to 720p wide screen)) to the projector..(early xbox 360 without hdmi)...but this makes no difference as other 720p movies i have look crystal clear ..

tried tversity straight to xbox...and it kinda sucked as the transcoding didnt always work, or was slow and stuttering.....before i got the xbox i was running styraight from computer Media centre to projector...(but xbox was easier for wife to figure out)

so again, i just wanted to know, are there updates now or better software....that do this mkv through xbox better?

Thanks

Paul

#51 Jayvee Lacrosse

Jayvee Lacrosse

Neowinian

Posted 22 September 2012 - 16:48

Ok just accidentally figured this out, (you can now play mkv even more than 4 GB using XBOX thru WMP latest version )

I was playing NFL HD MOVIE in mkv.on XBOX using PMS (ps3 Media server.. , when i play it on PMS..it would stutter, pause and then continue,..usually i pause it and play it once PMS catcHes up with bitrate,

but NOW.. i can play MKV file EVEN more than 4 GB files on my xbox thru WMP .latest version ,,,but you have to open PMS also at the same time.

I usually cannot see the mkv file on my xbox when using wmp and play thru XBOX...BUT WHEN I OPENED PMS...files also came out on my WMP..

First..open PMS..make sure mkv file shows up on list USING XBOX ...then open WMP on your PC also and do not exit PMS ....NOW you can see the MKV file...(if still cannot see,,try playing another MKV file first with PMS usually better with subtitle..(after this once you can see the file using XBOX only..it can play MKV and even more than 4 GB),,

Now the i can watch the NFL game HD without stutter,,only problem now is it is not surround sound...i will try an OPTICAL cable...next week..will update..Cheers Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

oh sometimes it will say error pc not connected --- .53-?????? ..something like that..just play it again and it will play...Thanks

#52 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 22 September 2012 - 16:54

I play my MKV's through my Xbox using PS3 Media Server. Works a treat.

#53 Jayvee Lacrosse

Jayvee Lacrosse

Neowinian

Posted 22 September 2012 - 17:17

..yup but some mkv..files are slow and give stutter but if i used XBox directly,thru WMP..it would play normally so therfore xbox can play it more efficient right??

when you open you WMP and the name of you PC will come out on XBox and whil PMS is open also..mkv files would show and now , you can play mkv files faster than PMS or would not stutter,,,

will try if it would surround if i put optical cable..will update,,,hehe.cheers(coz currently if mp4 5.1 it would play surround and avi...but thru ac3...hmm have not tried this new version if mp4 but aac 6 ch,.,will try later also..hehehe,..but mkv will not surround...i am using hdmi thru amp and to tv..

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!