Silent Hill: Revelations (aka Silent Hill 2)

Earlier this week Bloody-Disgusting own Jeff Otto joined press in Georgia for a trip to the set of Breck Eisner's The Crazies, Overture Films' remake of the classic George A. Romero film from 1973. While on set Jeff had the chance to talk to star Radha Mitchell, who revealed some new info on the long delayed Silent Hill 2, the sequel to Christophe Gans' video game adaptation from 2006.

Silent HillDuring a visit to the set of Breck Eisner?s THE CRAZIES in rural Georgia earlier this week, Bloody-Disgusting had the chance to speak with star Radha Mitchell, who plays the wife to Timothy Olyphant?s Sheriff character in CRAZIES. The actress was in a particularly giddy mood during the chat, casually giggling with press as she chewed on the straw from her drink cup.

When asked about any plans for a SILENT HILL sequel, the actress told pre?I don?t know what?s going on with that. I think they?re kicking it around.?around.?</b>

Christophe Gans, who directed the first film adaptation of the popular video game series, probably won?t retur?I don?t think Christophe is attached,? said Mitchell. ?[That] is a shame because he?s a nutter but he?s so passionate about the game. I think he should do it if they do it again."if they do it again."</b>

If a SILENT HILL sequel does happen, Mitchell hopes to make a cameo, possib?I?m sure they will [do a sequel] but I?m not sure what incarnation it will be. If there is I want to come back as a monster or like some crazy creature.?er or like some crazy creature.?</b>

In the first film starring Mitchell, unable to accept the doctor's diagnosis that her daughter should be permanently institutionalized for psychiatric care, Rose (Radha Mitchell) flees with her child, heading for the abandoned town in search of answers -- and ignoring the protests of her husband (Sean Bean). It's soon clear this place is unlike anywhere she's ever been.

Source

Edited by Rappy

They better pick someone sexy to replace her if she won't be the star, then again her story was pretty much finished anyways I'd be annoyed if they tried to milk it some more. Whoever takes over for it better not screw it up, easily the best game to film adaption imo.

• 1 month later...

Some pretty huge news has been hiding in an interview with author Brett Easton Ellis for nearly a month now over at Chuck Palahniuk.net. During the chat about The Informers, interviewer "Dennis" asks Ellis if Roger Avary is still attached to direct Glamorama. His reply is shocking. "He?s going to be shooting Silent Hill 2. As far as 'Glamorama', it?s just very hard to get the money to make it." It's never mentioned again, but that's enough to get me excited. Roger Avary wrote the first Silent Hill, Pulp Fiction and directed the awesome Rules of Attraction. This news couldn't be more exciting! Your thoughts? Where should they take the sequel if it ever gets off the ground?

Source

Awes:De :D

Rappy, I mean, you have way too many threads already started by you.

Just because you CAN find news, you can't put in the thread I made first instead of make your own thread?

You know how much threads on this forum is by you? Too greedy huh? :p

Same with this https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=769860

You can always request to merge them :p then yours would be on top.

Oh, thought I might just add

FAIL

This movie has a 95% chance of absolutely crapping all over the psychological horror experience Silent Hill 2 was :(

Don't care about them screwing around with the RE franchise, but when it comes to SH2 I ain't a happy bunny. It will forever have a spot in my top 5 games of all time.

Oh, thought I might just add

FAIL

This movie has a 95% chance of absolutely crapping all over the psychological horror experience Silent Hill 2 was :(

Don't care about them screwing around with the RE franchise, but when it comes to SH2 I ain't a happy bunny. It will forever have a spot in my top 5 games of all time.

Seriously, I think Silent Hill 1 movie was one of the BEST 2-3 Video Game adaptions if not TEH Best! (Meaning, it's true to the Video Game the most)

At least the first half, and the sexy Zombie Nurses part in second half.

When I watched the first half, it's just like the Video game ... the Mood especially! Apart from Rose not having a tons of guns/inventory to solve puzzles like the games.

Seriously, I think Silent Hill 1 movie was one of the BEST 2-3 Video Game adaptions if not TEH Best! (Meaning, it's true to the Video Game the most)

When I watched the first half, it's just like the Video game ... the Mood especially! Apart from Rose not having a tons of guns/inventory to solve puzzles like the games.

What? :huh:

Do you really think Silent Hill is just about industrial settings and nurses with fake boobs? The adaptation was horrible! The town was well made with many iconic locations, but the butchered up the story and the psicological possibilities.

Uhh are you sure you played Silent Hill 1?

True to the video game? :laugh:

How about we start with the main character being the wrong gender and then absolutely stupid supposed "fan service" of putting Pyramid Head in it. That completely ruined the film for me. I will admit the film on it's own is far from terrible though.

But pyramid Head is part James' nightmare, not Harry's.

Okay it wasn't as completely unrelated to the video game as Resident Evil was (it has like 0.5% things in common with the games). However the Silent Hill universe has much more promise for adapting a good story than that of RE, which is why it's more understandable they just turned RE into an action flick.

I enjoyed it for what it was just like I love the Res films even tho I know they aren't true to the cause.

I enjoyed it for what it was just like I love the Res films even tho I know they aren't true to the cause.

So will many people, mostly those who haven't played the games.

But for those that love the games you're bound to see replies like the above and I'm sure you can appreciate where we're coming from :p

Silent Hill 2 has such a good actual game story to tap into though, better than that of Silent Hill 1, it's just going to kill me if they turn this into a mish-mash of Silent Hill universe like the 1st.

The point is that it really cant be said that the movie was a good adaptation from the game.

Want a REALLY good adaptation? Get Terry Gilliam or Fincher as the directors, Floria Sigismondi as the speciall effects director and Yamaoka himself as the writter.

Edit: Scrap that about Gilliam or Fincher. Get David Lynch as the director!

Uhh are you sure you played Silent Hill 1?

True to the video game? :laugh:

How about we start with the main character being the wrong gender and then absolutely stupid supposed "fan service" of putting Pyramid Head in it. That completely ruined the film for me. I will admit the film on it's own is far from terrible though.

But pyramid Head is part James' nightmare, not Harry's.

Okay it wasn't as completely unrelated to the video game as Resident Evil was (it has like 0.5% things in common with the games). However the Silent Hill universe has much more promise for adapting a good story than that of RE, which is why it's more understandable they just turned RE into an action flick.

I played ALL the Resident Evil games and ALL the Silent Hill games, Yes Sir!

But movies are not have to be same with Which game... Silent Hill 1, SH 2, SH 3... SH5 it doesn't matter!

Silent Hill 1 movie doesn't have to be based on Silent Hill 1 game

Silent Hill 2 movie doesn't have to be based on Silent Hill 2 game

As long as the general idea is right, it's good enough

That's what's wrong with the Resident Evil movies, they made too Loud, too many people, too action, not enough true scary parts and definitely not much intelligence like the game does.

Edited by JediXAngel

What? :huh:

The town was well made with many iconic locations

When COMPARED to other VG movies out there...

I mean, it's NOT a PERFECT adaption, but a BETTER adaption than Resident Evil, and those Uwe Boll crap, for sure!

Movies are not have to be same with Which game... Silent Hill 1, SH 2, SH 3... SH5 it doesn't matter!

As long as the general idea is right, it's good enough

That's what's wrong with the Resident Evil movies, they made too Loud, too many people, too action, not enough true scary parts and definitely not much intelligence like the game does.

The movies don't need to follow the game inch by inch, that just wouldn't work.

Obvious reason?

The games maybe take 6-10 hours to complete, the movie will run for about 2 hours max. Plus people don't want to go to the cinema and see someone spend 30 mins solving a puzzle, those sorts of things are better for hands on interaction, eg gaming, not passive entertainment.

However the "general idea" still wasn't captured in the Silent Hill 1 movie. They missed out a lot of the story plots, changed main characters, made up story additions and added unnecessary things. In regards to a game to movie adaptation, it was mediocre, there are MANY worse, but the reason not to let them off the hook is they're taking from a game so rich in story and universe they SHOULD be making decent adaptations in the first place.

Of course taking something like Doom and turning it into a movie is going to be a pile of ass, people play doom for some mindless fun, not it's story. Movies live or die hugely based upon story and script, then obviously acting is key as well.

When COMPARED to other VG movies out there...

I mean, it's NOT a PERFECT adaption, but a BETTER adaption than Resident Evil, and those Uwe Boll crap, for sure!

Just because is not as crappy as those boring RE adaptations doesnt mean its great.

It could be a lot better. Not just suited and watered down to the mainstream crowd.

Just because is not as crappy as those boring RE adaptations doesnt mean its great.

It could be a lot better. Not just suited and watered down to the mainstream crowd.

I UNDERSTAND what you are saying, but again I am only trying to say it's BETTER than most other VG movie adaptions out there.

And, AudioBoxer, I don't see what the problem is with switching the gender... so?

The games SERIES had both male and female, I don't care they don't follow Resident Evil 1's main character gender... SO?

Okay it wasn't as completely unrelated to the video game as Resident Evil was (it has like 0.5% things in common with the games).

Thank You! Yes RE is mostly unrelated to the video games, but Silent Hil is MUCH more related to the game than RE!

• 4 months later...

Duo make a return to 'Silent Hill'

TORONTO -- Roger Avary and Samuel Hadida of Davis Films are climbing back up "Silent Hill."

The screenwriter and producer have signed on for a sequel to their 2006 video game adaptation.

The original, based on the Konami game, centered on a woman who travels to a desolate town to seek help for her ailing daughter only to find supernatural occurrences taking place there.

Davis Films aims to shoot the movie next year after "Resident Evil 4," which it's now prepping.

TriStar released the original "Silent Hill," which earned $47 million domestically; the label has not confirmed involvement on the follow-up.

Avary, best known for his work on Quentin Tarantino scripts such as "Pulp Fiction," also is penning video game adaptation "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" for Davis Films.

The deal is one of several projects for Hadida's company. The French-based banner has come to Toronto with two projects -- Michael Bassett's "Solomon Kane" and the Terry Gilliam-helmed "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus."

"Kane," based on Robert Howard's early 20th-century pulp novels that blend fantasy and history, screened in the Cannes market in the spring, and Davis Films is hoping for new attention and offers at TIFF. The pic is set to play Wednesday in the Midnight Madness section.

"The cut is basically the same, but a lot of distributors wanted to see it with an audience, which could really affect how a film plays," Hadida said.

Despite the lesser-known cast -- James Purefoy, starring in the title role, is perhaps the best-known name -- the filmmakers believe "Kane" could sell on the brand value of the Howard creation.

"The property is the star," said Paul Berrow, who is producing with Hadida.

"Parnassus" will be released by Sony Pictures Classics following an involved postproduction process that included a stop at Cannes in May.

In addition to the "Resident Evil" franchise, Hadida counts movies such as "Good Night, and Good Luck" and "The Rules of Attraction" among his credits.

THR

Edited by Rappy

The first one was so-so, but not a lot better than the previous game-to-movie releases. But after the abortion that was Resident Evil, I'm reluctant to see any more.

Get David Lynch as the director!

Oh, god, are you out of your gourd? I dunno about you, but I'd like to be able to sleep sometime within the next decade!

• 2 months later...

Silent Hill 2's future was looking pretty foggy.

After grossing nearly $100 million in worldwide box office receipts, there was the question of whether a follow-up to Christophe Gans' 2006 video game adaptation was even going to happen. After all, it was met with a mixed audience reaction. Some were dissatisfied with the story; others appreciated the familiar villains and brutal violence.

Then, in September, Davis Films officially announced Roger Avary (Pulp Fiction) was returning to pen the next entry and production was to rev up shortly after Resident Evil: Afterlife wrapped in Toronto, Canada. Avary, however, was sentenced to prison for a year in the weeks following this news, leaving the status of the sequel up in the air.

"Well, we have had a bit of a hiccup with Roger," admits Afterlife and Silent Hill producer Don Carmody in an exclusive chat with Shock Till You Drop. "We're just debating whether we can wait for him. He's writing the script for sure."

Although actress Radha Mitchell has voiced interest in starring again (her involvement is unconfirmed right now), one original key player won't be back: director Gans. "I don't think he wants to come back. He'll have some input for sure. In his mind, I think he wanted to do the first one and for this he's very happy to consult, but I think he wants to direct something new," says Carmody who has some definite ideas about how to improve the Silent Hill franchise's big screen counterpart.

"I think we need to make it a little more accessible to the movie-going public," he says frankly. "Silent Hill is not a blockbuster game like Resident Evil or the other games out there. It's a connoisseurs' game. It has its own, rabid fan base. They're not cheap, these things. You have to appeal not only to the gamers, you have to appeal to a wider audience. So we have to get some story in there that helps explain a bit more. I think that's all happening. Of course, [the story] is going to happen years later and the main character - without giving too much away - is much older and representative to the movie-going public which is in that age group."

SOURCE