Photo

DiskMax 4

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 lunamense

lunamense

lunamense

Posted 02 May 2009 - 17:35

Great program, but I find after running it in Windows 7 b7100 using the detailed setting, and selecting yes to all options but deep scan, windows task scheduler is now broken. Something to do with clearing event logs?

#17 The Canadian

The Canadian

Neowinian

Posted 03 May 2009 - 21:22

This damn thing has screwed Windows over on my computer, and before you ask, I said NO to the Deep Scan, now icons on the start menu have changed, the thing your mouse pointer turns into when moving over text has gone white...I can keep going; yes I got 6.2GB of space back but that is not the point!

#18 fixxxer2014

fixxxer2014

A1 poster

Posted 03 May 2009 - 21:25

ccleaner is all i need! :yes:

#19 OP K.John

K.John

Dev

• Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:00

This damn thing has screwed Windows over on my computer, and before you ask, I said NO to the Deep Scan, now icons on the start menu have changed, the thing your mouse pointer turns into when moving over text has gone white...I can keep going; yes I got 6.2GB of space back but that is not the point!

This is unbelievable - there is no possible way DiskMax could create such problems on a regular Windows installation. If you don't mind, could you please share with me a copy of the DiskMax Log.txt file found in your user profile directory (eg: C:\Users\<your-user-name>\DiskMax Log.txt on Vista/2008/7).

1. If you are talking about the list of recently used programs, then please note that you were prompted as follows by the program: "User Assist" - "Do you want to reset your recently used program history?" and "Selecting Yes is safe but will clear the recently used programs list in your Start Menu." If that's the case, Windows will repopulate the list after a while based on your program usage history. Otherwise, please explain further what you mean by "icons on the start menu have changed".

2. The mouse pointer issue. (a) DiskMax never changes any system settings. (b) The folder in which the mouse pointers are stored (eg: C:\Windows\Cursors) is never touched. Here's what you can do anyway, open up the 'Mouse Properties' dialog box from the Control Panel and set the 'Text Select' cursor back to the default. Even if you use DeepScan, there's no way DiskMax would cause your mouse pointer for text select to change.

3. Please keep going, I want to know what you claim DiskMax has done so that I can either set the record straight or help you out.

Honestly, if you didn't have such a high post count, I'd think you were trying to spread FUD.

#20 OP K.John

K.John

Dev

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:19

Great program, but I find after running it in Windows 7 b7100 using the detailed setting, and selecting yes to all options but deep scan, windows task scheduler is now broken. Something to do with clearing event logs?

I have a fresh install of build 7100 on my other laptop. Kindly explain what you mean when you say Task Scheduler is broken. I just need to know how to replicate the issue (as in what exactly about Task Scheduler is not functioning like you want) to see what the problem can be. And no, clearing the event logs is absolutely safe - you only lose information that Windows records about computer activity.

Yes, clearing the Event Logs will mean that Task Scheduler may be unable to tell you when the last time a scheduled task was run/completed was unless it was after the last clearing operation. That does not mean that a scheduled task did not run or task scheduler is not working.

Here's a couple of things you can check right away:
1. Open 'Services.msc' from the start menu and then check if the Task Scheduler service is running. Task Scheduler is one of the hardened system services that the user can neither stop nor change startup type of.
2. Open Event Viewer. Navigate to 'Applications and Services' \ 'Microsoft' \ 'Windows' \ 'Task Scheduler' \ 'Operational' to see the entries there (from the time DiskMax cleared it last).

#21 The Canadian

The Canadian

Neowinian

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:17

This is unbelievable - there is no possible way DiskMax could create such problems on a regular Windows installation. If you don't mind, could you please share with me a copy of the DiskMax Log.txt file found in your user profile directory (eg: C:\Users\<your-user-name>\DiskMax Log.txt on Vista/2008/7).

1. If you are talking about the list of recently used programs, then please note that you were prompted as follows by the program: "User Assist" - "Do you want to reset your recently used program history?" and "Selecting Yes is safe but will clear the recently used programs list in your Start Menu." If that's the case, Windows will repopulate the list after a while based on your program usage history. Otherwise, please explain further what you mean by "icons on the start menu have changed".

2. The mouse pointer issue. (a) DiskMax never changes any system settings. (b) The folder in which the mouse pointers are stored (eg: C:\Windows\Cursors) is never touched. Here's what you can do anyway, open up the 'Mouse Properties' dialog box from the Control Panel and set the 'Text Select' cursor back to the default. Even if you use DeepScan, there's no way DiskMax would cause your mouse pointer for text select to change.

3. Please keep going, I want to know what you claim DiskMax has done so that I can either set the record straight or help you out.

Honestly, if you didn't have such a high post count, I'd think you were trying to spread FUD.

Like I said, all this started happening after running DiskMax, take a look at my Start menu:

Posted Image

Attached Files

#22 OP K.John

K.John

Dev

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:51

Like I said, all this started happening after running DiskMax, take a look at my Start menu:

Posted Image

Your icon cache is corrupted. DiskMax does clear the icon cache but it seems to have got corrupted when Windows rebuilt it. The icon cache gets rebuilt at log in on Vista if it is not found.

Here's what you should do:
1. Open task manager and terminate all explorer.exe processes.
2. Using task manager, open cmd.exe and type in the following command verbatim:
del /a %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Iconcache.db
This will delete the corrupt icon cache.

3. Log off using task manager and restart your PC. All your icons will be fine when you log in again.

I hope this resolves the issue(s) you are facing. If you need further help on any other issues (related to DiskMax or otherwise), please do not hesitate to contact me.

#23 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:41

I didn't bench anything, but I don't notice much of a difference in boot or performance. Win7 64-bit Home Premium.

#24 wrack

wrack

Wireless Robotic Android Calibrated for Killing

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:00

Hi,

Great work but ever since I have started using DiskMax, I have found the file table or something has been corrupted and now everytime I copy or move a file I get an error saying "The file doesn't exist!" and I retry and all is well. I reformatted the machine and no error since then. At first I thought the HDD was failing but it seems everytime I try DiskMax and use it few times, the disk eventually gets something nasty!

Hope you have some sort of answer to this!

Cheers :)

#25 OP K.John

K.John

Dev

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:12

@farmeunit: If you have powerful hardware and regularly maintain your system, the improvements you see from DiskMax may be marginal. In some cases, it takes a deletion of the contents of the Prefetch folder and 2 reboots (once to refresh Prefetch data, and the second to utilize it) to see the effects of DiskMax on your system.

@wrack: You'll have to investigate further as what you are describing cannot be caused by DiskMax. This is because DiskMax does not access the filesystem directly - everything goes through Windows. Let's assume DiskMax actually did have some sort of problem, statistically speaking I would have heard of this problem by now considering that DiskMax 4 has been around for 2 years and it has a considerablely large user base (100,000+ recurring users since metrics were implemented in Jan, 2010).

You might want to run chkdsk on your HDD to see what is actually wrong. I think I remember this problem being discussed on neowin some time in the past but I can't seem to recollect the details - it might be caused by some application running in the background. A similar problem (saying that the file was in use) used to crop up for users who had disabled their 'Application Experience' service.

#26 Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:14

Good program. Could use a bit of streamlining, but I have been using it for some months, and will continue.

#27 OP K.John

K.John

Dev

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:23

Good program. Could use a bit of streamlining, but I have been using it for some months, and will continue.

I've a list of things I want to do to make it better - and a good chunk of it is based off user feedback. The fundamental functions that it performs are sound but the way it is presented to the user could be far better. I do interface overhauls between major version changes (3->4, 4->5), and I aim to have 5 out by early 2011, with a private beta between now and then for those who have donated.

#28 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:37

Trying it right now. Is it normal that is taking its sweet time performing prefetch optimizations?

#29 OP K.John

K.John

Dev

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:47

Trying it right now. Is it normal that is taking its sweet time performing prefetch optimizations?

Yes, if it has never been done. You can continue to use your PC while it runs in the background.

Remember to clear out your Prefetch folder manually before your restart your PC next (the first reboot will be slow as Windows collects new prefetch data), but the ones after that will be zippy. You might even notice lower idle RAM usage.

#30 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:02

Nice program, wouldn't have noticed this if it weren't for the bump.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!