Windows DVD Maker - Slideshows - 999 limit?

I'm trying to burn 3100 pics onto 2 dual layer DVD's (to be playable in a home dvd player). I've made a set of 4 single layer dvd's with Windows DVD Maker included with Vista (also tried Windows 7 build 7077), but if I take half the pics (1550) and add them, I get a message in DVD Maker that only 999 pictures can be added, and the rest were not. Is there some way around this?

I'm doing them for family, and they love the set of 4, so the transitions & everything are perfect, I just need to be able to add more pictures on a DVD.

Anyone know of any tricks to get around this? It seems like a really stupid artificial limit, or a serious lack of forsight.

As always, thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I'm trying to burn 3100 pics onto 2 dual layer DVD's (to be playable in a home dvd player). I've made a set of 4 single layer dvd's with Windows DVD Maker included with Vista (also tried Windows 7 build 7077), but if I take half the pics (1550) and add them, I get a message in DVD Maker that only 999 pictures can be added, and the rest were not. Is there some way around this?

Anyone know of any tricks to get around this? It seems like a really stupid artificial limit, or a serious lack of forsight.

The 999 file limit is a result of the DVD, not Windows DVD Maker. This limit arises from the way information is stored into folders on the DVD. As far as I can tell there is no way around this limit, but if others out there know otherwise please let me know.

Jeff

Windows Outreach Team

• 1 month later...

Just an update: I ended up using Nero Vision to create a 720x480 WMV file, which I then threw into DVD Maker & burned onto a DVD9 disc. There's no panning & zooming, which I kind of wanted, but it looks great.

To make it 3hrs+, I had about 1550 pics per movie, 9 secs per pic, transitions I set to 1.5 secs. DVD Maker split each 3 hour DVD into 13 chapters. Perfect!

I'm delivering the DVDs tomorrow, hopefully they're pleased :^)