How do I backup my Hotmail contacts?

I guess my first question is, is backing up my contacts even possible? Would the only way be me making another dummy email account and adding all the addresses to that account for safe keeping?

It is possible to backup your contacts with Windows Live Hotmail, Windows Live Mail, Windows Live People or Windows Live Messenger :) You should be able to export and import your contacts with any of these applications or services :)

To do so in Windows Live Hotmail -

Click on 'Options' then 'More Options'. Under the 'Customise your contacts' heading, click on 'Export contacts'. Type in the required characters and click 'Export'.

Your contacts will then be downloaded the usual way your browser downloads files and the file will be in '.csv' format.

This downloaded file should be accepted when importing contacts to Windows Live Hotmail (the same way you exported them, but clicking on 'Import' instead) or when importing your contacts to Windows Live People, Windows Live Mail or Windows Live Messenger.

Hope that helps? :)

Edited by Calum

It is possible to backup your contacts with Windows Live Hotmail, Windows Live Mail, Windows Live People or Windows Live Messenger :) You should be able to export and import your contacts with any of these applications or services :)

To do so in Windows Live Hotmail -

Click on 'Options' then 'More Options'. Under the 'Customise your contacts' heading, click on 'Export contacts'. Type in the required characters and click 'Export'.

Your contacts will then be downloaded the usual way your browser downloads files and the file will be in '.csv' format.

This downloaded file should be accepted when importing contacts to Windows Live Hotmail (the same way you exported them, but clicking on 'Import' instead) or when importing your contacts to Windows Live People or Windows Live Messenger.

Hope that helps? :)

Thanks exactly what I needed.

Edited by warwagon