Network Places / Active Directory

Hey Guys,

I recently rolled my server to active directory. When I test out logining in on a workstation, I ran into a problem. When going into Network Places, you can see the directory (or domain). However, you can also see the machines on the working, user accounts, a built in directory .. etc. Granted, it does not appear a user can access any of this stuff (delete, make changes .. etc), however I figure its a security risk just being able to view it.

My question is ... how can I hide it. :blush:

Are you refering to users being able to open "My Network Places" from the desktop and see a list of whats on the network? That is a fairly common item in a network and can be usefull to the end user when they want to access a network share (provided they have the appropriate permissions) and/or attach to a network printer (once again provided they have the appropriate permissions). It's not necessarily a security risk if your permissions are set right.

However, if you really want to get rid of it, create a group policy that hides it from your users.

i dont mind the list of "computers" on the network .. but it has a list of "user accounts" on the network as well .. and thats bad. :/

I think he means in window explorer and expand My Network Places|Directory, will return every object in the tree.

Its not like once you enable it you can't disable it later. If you feel you need it future, disable it in the policy. It just stops the user from browsing the tree. They still can search the tree.