My first trial with Ubuntu 9.04

Note: Below is a lengthy opinionated article about the new release of Ubuntu 9.04 I rant, I complain and "judge" how the new operating system from Ubuntu does. You can find the full article on my blog - http://www.mangochico.com/my-first-trial-w...buntu-hopeless/

ubuntu_sucks.jpg

Introduction

There?s been a lot of buzz lately with the newly released version of Ubuntu 9.04 or commonly known as ?Jaunty? (where the hell do they get these codenames from?). I downloaded a RC version of the desktop version of Ubuntu 9.04 a few days ago and I tried it out on my VirtualBox. I was pretty impressed with the user interface as I have been a die-hard Windows user ever since I started using a computer with Windows 3.1. As soon as the final version was released, I went ahead and downloaded the netbook remix of Ubuntu 9.04. The only difference with the netbook remix is that allows people with netbooks (like myself, I own a MSI Wind U100) to easily use and navigate the netbook - Ubuntu just developed a splash screen with huge buttons and ?wow? effects (nothing sPartition that, Resize that - The Confusion began began

I read and watched a couple of online tutorials on how to resize my partitions to make way for the new Ubuntu operating system alongside my current Windows XP operating system. It wasn?t that bad at all except for the new terminologies which I had to get familiar with - ?dev?. The partition manager in Ubuntu looked advanced and complicated for a first time Linux user.

Moving on, I began installing and setting up my new Ubuntu partition. The installation only took roughly about a quarter of an hour. Quite impressive! Once the install was complete, the netbook restarted and I was presented with a GRUB Boot loader which allows me to boot into either Windows or my newly installCodec Issues already - Audio and Video Problemsdeo Problems

As soon as Ubuntu loaded up with the special netbook remix splash screen, I started tinkering around with the settings and the options. I inspected the System Monitor and surprisingly the operating system was only using 150MB of RAM and the processes were constantly moving between 0% to 2% (at most) when idle. Not bad so far. I fired up a sample MP3 file. Sadly, Mp3s don?t seem to play out of the box and I had to download several ?packages? in order for me to play the standard media file types - Mp3s, DIVX, XVID and what not. I was even presented with a warning asking me whether the files I am about to play or use are illegal or not, if they are I have to halt the installation of the required packages. Ubuntu sure takes illegal material seriously. pfft.

I wasn?t too impressed and ?wowed? by both the in-built Media software (one being Rhythmbox, I forgot the name of the other one). Moreover, the sample Mp3 I was playing sounded a lot of different as compared to when being played on Windows or maybe my head was messed up with the sound quality, I don?t think it?s the latter one though. Anyway, I tried playing a XVID file and it was smooth although again the media plThe pain in installing software in Ubuntu and Linuxsoftware in Ubuntu and Linux

I couldn?t live without VideoLAN so I quickly surfed to the official website and tried downloading a Linux release. What I didn?t know was that there?s a different release for every Linux distro or operating system. I navigated to the ?kubuntu? page and I was presented with a list of mind-boggling instructions on how to manually download the ?package?. There were commands (some what familiar to DOS commands) which I had to type into a console window in order for me to download and install VideoLan. I?m quite impatient and I don?t have the luxury of time to type in all those codes. Luckily, I read that Ubuntu included a ?Package Downloader? where users are given the option to download software available to Ubuntu with a click of several buttons and a query through the ?package library?.

After a couple of minutes of downloading I had VideoLan up and running. The difference of installing software between Ubuntu or Linux and Windows is TIME and EASE! It took me roughly about ten minutes to figure how software is installed onto Ubuntu and operated. Why can?t they just have a plain installer file presented to the user. It would make life a lot easier and rational. This would cauIt?s a silent movie! No, it?s me on my webcam..

It?s a silent movie! No, it?s me on my webcam.

Additionally, I was disgusted with the performance of my web camera on Ubuntu 9.04. The frame rate was extremely slow. The video being displayed looked like it came from a silent movie from the 1920s minus the black and white. Horrible frame rate and video quality! Imagine if I had to use the webcam on an instant messaging program. The other person in the conversation would see me smiling continuously in a static frame for a long period of time. Useless for those who need to keep in contact with relatives, business contacts or friends Youtube and Flash Woes conferencing is out of the question.

Youtube and Flash Woes

Firefox wasn?t too bad at first, however, after visiting my blog and YouTube I began to wonder how some people can survive with Ubuntu. I had to install three flash plugins (one being Adobe Flash) in order for me to view my blog and YouTube. I was expecting a flawless and smooth video playback on YouTube. My hopes were put down when I couldn?t even watch a single video on YouTube. And yes the videos weren?t in High Definition or High Quality. They were low in bitrate. Thus, Ubuntu?s video performance in terms of Flash, simply SUCKS! I tried Vimeo (another video sharing website which displays viThere?s always an end, but this was too fast

r a couple of seconds.

There?s always an end, but this was too fast

I had it! Forget Ubuntu! I quickly booted up into Windows, deleted the Ubuntu partition. Sadly, this brought two hours of intense research on how to fix the GRUB Boot loader error and several attempts to boot a Windows XP installation off a USB stick. I blame myself for not readConclusionshow to properly remove Ubuntu. It?s my fault and I admit it.

Conclusions

After all the sweat, the headaches, the ?HUH? parts and ?what? moments I?ll give Ubuntu a thumbs down and a 3 out of 10. Ubuntu isn?t friendly and usable for beginners and Windows users as there are a lot of things that need to be learnt before using the operating system. One can?t just start using it instantly. One has to read articles, guides and wikis in order to understand the grounds of this new operating system, Ubuntu. I?ll leave Linux or Ubuntu to the server experts and die-hard Linux fan boys. If you want ease, usability, efficiency and an effective operating system stick to a Windows operating system (preferably the latest operating systems - Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7). If you?re into aesthetics and security, stick to a MAC operating system (that reminds me I have to review that soon).

I only liked the notifications, splashy effects and the user interface. The rest should be flashed down the toilet. Ubuntu 9.04 isn?t my cup of tea at all. BOO to Ubuntu!

Thanks for reading my raSource - Mango Chicorl="http://www.mangochico.com/my-first-trial-with-ubuntu-hopeless/;)Source - Mango Chico[/url]

Any comments and suggestions are welcome! ;)

Why is it expected everything is to be like windows? Installing programs in windows can be more of a hassle than it is with ubuntu, especially when keeping programs up to date.

Codecs for divx, xvid etc don't come with windows, so why is it expected to come with ubuntu? Sure MP3 comes with windows but I believe what you pay for windows includes licensing of MP3. There's also the legalities of some of these methods to play encoded files, such as watching DVDs by using libdvdcss is illegal in some countries. Would you like to be sued for a product you offer for free?

Why is it expected everything is to be like windows? Installing programs in windows can be more of a hassle than it is with ubuntu, especially when keeping programs up to date.

Codecs for divx, xvid etc don't come with windows, so why is it expected to come with ubuntu? Sure MP3 comes with windows but I believe what you pay for windows includes licensing of MP3. There's also the legalities of some of these methods to play encoded files, such as watching DVDs by using libdvdcss is illegal in some countries. Would you like to be sued for a product you offer for free?

You got some valid points. However, VideoLAN is free and I believe it does play any type of DVD regardless of the type of security format it holds. They don't seem to have any problem providing VideoLan to the public even though it breaks a few rules here and there. It should be the same for Ubuntu. ;)

Regarding a program's installation - wouldn't it be a lot easier if one setup file is provided in which the operating system kicks in to extract and execute the installation. That's a lot easier rather than typing or copying/pasting commands. Haven't we been through that during the DOS era?

If software is in the repositories (like VLC) it's extremely easy to install through the package manager, or a simple "sudo apt-get install vlc" would have had it running in seconds :p

The lack of a decent version of flash is down to adobe, and poor webcam drivers are no doubt because your webcam manufacturer doesn't supply one (mine works perfect) although I realise to the regular end user just want it to work and don't care who's fault it is.

Edited by James123

I use both Ubuntu and Vista and i see a huge lack of understanding and ignorance in that review/rant.

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu and the Linux world so I am no expert in this field, thus, my "ignorance" kicks in ;) It's an opinionated article on the first impression of an operating system's usability.

"One can?t just start using it instantly. One has to read articles, guides and wikis in order to understand the grounds of this new operating system, Ubuntu. I?ll leave Linux or Ubuntu to the server experts and die-hard Linux fan boys."

... and my mother, grandmother, grandfather, 5 year old nephew and a few 'challenged' pensioners I support locally - all of which just jumped straight in and refuse to go back.

Congratulations on attempting it though, I guess some people aren't that way inclined.

Regarding a program's installation - wouldn't it be a lot easier if one setup file is provided in which the operating system kicks in to extract and execute the installation. That's a lot easier rather than typing or copying/pasting commands. Haven't we been through that during the DOS era?

Using Ubuntu's package manager eliminates all of the "copy / pasting" for the most part. Synaptic (GUI front-end of Apt) is so simple to use, the old CLI (command line interface) argument has really become obsolete.

If software is in the repositories (like VLC) it's extremely easy to install through the package manager, or a simple "sudo apt-get install vlc" would have had it running in seconds :p

I am not familiar at all with linux or ubuntu's commands. I would have had to go through a few beginner's guides on Ubuntu in order for me to understand the basics. If I left the operating system in the hands of my parents or anyone familiar with either Windows or Mac, they'll definitely have a hard time operating Ubuntu. It's no easy task at all.

Just because you are used to Windows doesn't mean you should expect all other operating systems to be the same. If you actually did a bit of reading before taking the plunge, your transition to Ubuntu would probably have been significantly easier.

And really, installing vlc.. typing "sudo apt-get install vlc" takes 2 seconds, on Windows you have to browse to the VLC website, chose a mirror, download the exe file, run the exe file, customise the instillation, takes a few minutes. Installing software on ubuntu is so much easier!

@Barney - I may be old fashioned but I do prefer the command line :]

And your video issues were caused by probably not having installed the restricted video drivers! Infact, looking back over that list, if you had bought up those problems, they probably could all have been solved by people here/ubuntu support forums, in a matter of minutes. Gotta have a bit of patience with this apparently! :)

Using Ubuntu's package manager eliminates all of the "copy / pasting" for the most part. Synaptic (GUI front-end of Apt) is so simple to use, the old CLI (command line interface) argument has really become obsolete.

I actually respect the ingenuity behind that. It sure will help a few linux newbies, like me. It did help, however, in the case of VideoLan and I'm sure other applications is another case. I tried querying for "VideoLan" and nothing popped up. I had to try the acronym, vlc in order for it to work. Lets say the person doesn't know the acronym. Wouldn't that cause problems?

And your video issues were caused by probably not having installed the restricted video drivers! Infact, looking back over that list, if you had bought up those problems, they probably could all have been solved by people here/ubuntu support forums, in a matter of minutes. Gotta have a bit of patience with this apparently! :)

I checked the restricted drivers application in the system applications in Ubuntu. There was no listing of any "restricted drivers" :(

Just because you are used to Windows doesn't mean you should expect all other operating systems to be the same.

Very true. However, it would have been much easier if a tour guide or a transition guide would have been provided in first boot up of Ubuntu. :p

I actually respect the ingenuity behind that. It sure will help a few linux newbies, like me. It did help, however, in the case of VideoLan and I'm sure other applications is another case. I tried querying for "VideoLan" and nothing popped up. I had to try the acronym, vlc in order for it to work. Lets say the person doesn't know the acronym. Wouldn't that cause problems?

On synaptic package manager searching for VideoLan will reveal vlc player, so that is a moot point.

"One can?t just start using it instantly. One has to read articles, guides and wikis in order to understand the grounds of this new operating system, Ubuntu. I?ll leave Linux or Ubuntu to the server experts and die-hard Linux fan boys."

... and my mother, grandmother, grandfather, 5 year old nephew and a few 'challenged' pensioners I support locally - all of which just jumped straight in and refuse to go back.

Congratulations on attempting it though, I guess some people aren't that way inclined.

I am sure if they'll be presented with another operating system, may it be a more friendly user interface (Windows or Mac) I'm sure they wouldn't like to go back to Ubu;)u ;)

On synaptic package manager searching for VideoLan will reveal vlc player, so that is a moot point.

It didn't come for me or I didn't type it in correctly. I may be at fault h;)e ;)

I am sure if they'll be presented with another operating system, may it be a more friendly user interface (Windows or Mac) I'm sure they wouldn't like to go back to Ubuntu ;)

It didn't come for me or I didn't type it in correctly. I may be at fault here ;)

Firstly, not every operating system is suited for everyone, but with a bit of practice he would have found that it is no harder than Windows to use.

Secondly, are you typing that in the quick search box at the top, because the phrase "videolan" produces vlc for me.

And if you don't have internet ATM to download packages from? You're fu***.

I do like seeing how other people react to a different operating system than one they are used to but google can answer most anything for you, and usually without much work at all.

I assume your laptop had internet connectivity so why not google "how do I install videolan on ubuntu"? I just did and the top answer was very helpful.

I guess I am just too programmed into the Internet generation because if there is ANYTHING I go "hrm how do I do that" I know to turn to google for help.

As to that, well... you sort of have to be connected to the internet to get vlc in the first place. It is not part of Ubuntu or included on the disk.

You'd need the internet to download VLC on windows?

Not. Copy / paste single EXE installation on stick. This isn't possible on linux. Try, and you will see what will happend when you encounter problems.

That argument is the same for Windows. If you do not have internet access, downloading programs or Windows Update won't work either.

Not. Copy / paste single EXE installation on stick. This isn't possible on linux. Try, and you will see what will happend when you encounter problems.

It is possible. There are .deb files which for all extensive purposes I'll compare with an exe. If you had the deb file on a stick you could install VLC without the internet.

It is possible. There are .deb files which for all extensive purposes I'll compare with an exe. If you had the deb file on a stick you could install VLC without the internet.

But you had to get the .deb file from somewhere to get it on the stick, right (unless a buddy of yours had it on a computer somewhere.....) ? It seems that these examples are more the extreme cases that what most people experience with Ubuntu. Again, if you install Windows and have no internet, the argument is the same when it comes to getting / updating software.

I did not say "try it yourself" without a reason. Because, one deb will likely need other debs, that other debs will need some other deb files to install. And then you will carry atleast 5 debs to install VLC. It's called "depencies" and it's hell. And ofcourse, you will see what debs you need when you try to install VLC on other computer.

As far as I know - there is no way to download all debs at first.

Yeh, but that's no different than having to get the .exe file for windows somewhere. The2 seems to think is is easier for windows when it is essentially the same processes involved.

EDIT:

Actually The2 you have a fair point with dependacies. By the way I've been using Linux for over two years so I'm not just some randomer spouting nonsense.

For most programs you can download the .deb file on the website (or the few debs you will need). I've had to do this with a USB modem for instance before being able to get the internet.

VLC probably has a fair few dependacies and they don't offer a .deb download option (probably because of the dependacies).

You said without the internet "you're ****ed". I just wanted to point out to any potential readers who haven't used linux it's not really the case, although it would be harder. Push comes to shove you start compiling source, but we try not to mention that :shifty:

Edited by DomZ