Ridley Scotts "Prometheus" (2012)

60c4a72d.jpg

20th Century Fox head Tom Rothman revealed to IESB that there is ?some talk? of an Alien ?prequel? to go along with the recently announced Robert Rodriguez-produced Predator reboot Predators. Rothman confirms that director Ridley Scott is ?toying around with the idea.? And the Fox head gives the impression that another Alien movie, be it sequel, prequel or reboot, would only happen with Scott?s involvement.

I remember reading an interview with Scott where the filmmaker expressed interest in making a prequel that would explore the origins of the space jockey and the Aliens. At one point James Cameron was working on an origin story for a fifth Alien film, but abandoned the development when Aliens vs. Predator was announced. Sigourney Weaver has publicly expressed interest in doing a sequel, but it wouldn?t make sense to include her character in an origin story. But who knows, maybe Ridley is ?toying? with some kind of reboot/prequel combo.

Source

Sweet jesus. That would be great. Only if he did it though, everyone else butchers these things. Although a Cameron fifth would have been nice had AvP not ruined it. I really like these movies an prequel would be too awesome. Hope it happens.

they should leave this well alone unless they are absolutely positive it will be better than the originals...

the alien franchise is already tarnished by the recent versus movies (and somewhat by the original sequels after aliens, imo).

please, we need new idea's, not rehashes of old ones. (having said that, the new star trek does look good, hmmm, my principles are torn).

they should leave this well alone unless they are absolutely positive it will be better than the originals...

the alien franchise is already tarnished by the recent versus movies (and somewhat by the original sequels after aliens, imo).

please, we need new idea's, not rehashes of old ones.

I think Aliens 3 was a good film, and well, actually fully provided closure to the whole franchise. And then 4 was made, where they tried to carry on the "legacy" with Winona Rider, which failed. Then AvP was made, which wasn't anywhere near as good as Alien/Aliens, but still fairly respectable under its own merits. However, they completely killed it with AvP 2.

I definitely think you're right in that a reboot/prequel will definitely need to be better the the originals, or at least as good, otherwise it really will kill the whole franchise.

^ Agreed on all points. The part that intrigues me is the time difference between the original releases and now. The effects they could do these days would blow away anything they did in the past. Everything would be on a much larger scale and more realistic. Thats one reason why I love reboots as they are a hell of a lot more impressive to look at then the originals. Star Wars is a perfect example, especially with their light saber fights. Granted this is where story comes into play. Newer cameras and CGI can't make up for a weak story. Although I liked the final 3 movies :$ Besides all that I have faith in Ridley Scott not to create something that would butcher the original. It's when they get someone else to do it that they ruin what was original conceived, he won't ruin his own creation.

First two are good. Third is a marmite film, ruined by film execs sticking their noses in it among other things and the uncut 3rd version for best viewing.

Anyway, if there is one good thing about AvP it's that this opportunity has come up. I would be interested to see what direction they take it. Ridley seems to make anything these days, haven't really enjoyed many of his recent ones that much.

The first two movies are pretty good. Aliens (2nd movie) was directed by James Cameron (Terminator 2) and was an intense movie. The third movie was a little bland in comparison to the action of the second movie. The fourth movie, and AvP series, are a joke and should have never been made.

I'm not sure about a reboot being necessary, keep the original storyline, and place a new crew further in the future coming across the alien species again. Whatever they do, hope they can make it a serious sci-fi movie again and not an action adventure comedy thriller... with Ridley Scott at the helm again, I think it could be done properly.

Ridley's been saying this for years.

Having said all that, I would most love them to remake Alien3. The concepts and ideas for what that was supposed to be sound and look very cool!!

Are aliens movies any good? Sorry for asking this nooby question

First 2 were really good. Especially the second as it had Kyle Reese :laugh: I liked the first but there was more suspense in the second as there was more than one alien. Alien 3 and 4 I liked but there weren't as good. Only hard part I think you'll find watching them now is that they are so dated, their "super computers" are just a bunch of flickering lights and no buttons, little 13" CRT screens heh. The aliens themselves move relatively slowly and mechanically so it takes away from it. The 3rd and 4th improved this however the story wasn't as good as in the originals.

While I don't think the word "reboot" is needed, a prequel definitely is. They never explained where the aliens came from or how they became infested on the planets. While I think the originals were great I'd be upset if it was set further in the future. I'd rather it go back to the beginning and explain what hasn't been explained in the last 6 films if you include the AvP series. Ridley and Cameron should team up to make it, like Lucas and Spielberg did for Indy 4. Except, you know. Make something good. At least in their case, having aliens in it would make sense :rofl:

I know most of you know this already but....for those who don't know:

Ridley Scott directed the original Alien back in 79. If ANYONE could reboot the series, do a new sequel, or a prequel it would be Ridley Scott.

Personally I would like to see a sequel and a final closed arc for Ripley. Considering she's still "alive" now in the Aliens universe. Perhaps have her wake before the events of Alien 3 and her realizing it was all a dream etc (I know corny, but it's been suggested many times before). Then the marine ship they are on picks up a new signal and well, there you go. Take it from there. Or maybe we can do a movie that finally shows the Aliens homeworld, how they came to be, why they are, etc aka an origin story. But then like the original post said, we wouldn't get Ripley in it (at least not likely, unless she traveled back in time or something lol).

I hope they make a prequel and tell the story of how the derelict ship arrived on LV426 in the first place. That can easily be done with Ridley Scott at the helm and they wouldn't need Sigourney Weaver or the Ripley character at all.

Robert Rodriguez reboot of Predator makes me seriously worried... :|

Predator as it is, is an absolutely classic movie. They should just leave it alone.

I don't think they should explain the aliens origins. Leave it ambiguous, like the first one did: are they a natural life from? Or were they engineered by the space jockey? And if so what for? Or are they something else?

I also hope Ridley doesn't feel like he has to cast Sigourney. I think her character should be left out of it.

Personally I would like to see a sequel and a final closed arc for Ripley. Considering she's still "alive" now in the Aliens universe. Perhaps have her wake before the events of Alien 3 and her realizing it was all a dream etc (I know corny, but it's been suggested many times before). Then the marine ship they are on picks up a new signal and well, there you go. Take it from there.

Like I said before, I think they should remake Alien 3 and use Vincent Wards script, which you can find online. I think it was a really quite a unique concept.

Other than than that I don't want to see Ripely.

Robert Rodriguez reboot of Predator makes me seriously worried... :|

Predator as it is, is an absolutely classic movie. They should just leave it alone.

I don't see the issue here. Leave the classic alone, you say? They aren't doing anything to it. It's safe.

I know most of you know this already but....for those who don't know:

Ridley Scott directed the original Alien back in 79. If ANYONE could reboot the series, do a new sequel, or a prequel it would be Ridley Scott.

Personally I would like to see a sequel and a final closed arc for Ripley. Considering she's still "alive" now in the Aliens universe. Perhaps have her wake before the events of Alien 3 and her realizing it was all a dream etc (I know corny, but it's been suggested many times before). Then the marine ship they are on picks up a new signal and well, there you go. Take it from there. Or maybe we can do a movie that finally shows the Aliens homeworld, how they came to be, why they are, etc aka an origin story. But then like the original post said, we wouldn't get Ripley in it (at least not likely, unless she traveled back in time or something lol).

Thing your forgetting is it's 2009 ;) 30 years is hard to hide in actors/actress. They couldn't take the story that far back with her as old as she is now. But like Lamp0 said, I think she should be left out of it. She was great in its prime but I don't want them milking her character anymore than they did, cloning her was bad enough. I'd much rather see the alien homeworld and an origin story. Other than Cameron, Ridley would be perfect to end it. End it where it started.

I don't think they should explain the aliens origins. Leave it ambiguous, like the first one did: are they a natural life from? Or were they engineered by the space jockey? And if so what for? Or are they something else?

I also hope Ridley doesn't feel like he has to cast Sigourney. I think her character should be left out of it.

Like I said before, I think they should remake Alien 3 and use Vincent Wards script, which you can find online. I think it was a really quite a unique concept. Other than than that I don't want to see Ripely.

While mystery is nice, I want answers! :laugh: Especially if it will bring an end to the series I don't like things being left unfinished. We don't need another sequel, we need a prequel. As for Vincent Wards script, for those who haven't read or don't really want to read it all care to explain what it was about?

Ridley Scott = Epicness

i love the alien series they are amazing, would be very interesting to see how they play out a new alien movie :D

Well usually..when people are out of ideas they start making prequels and sequels of previously succesful movies.

Just let it die already. Didn't you learn anything from Star Wars crap. Just let epic Alien and Aliens stay the way they are. Legendary alien movies.

Well usually..when people are out of ideas they start making prequels and sequels of previously succesful movies.

Just let it die already. Didn't you learn anything from Star Wars crap. Just let epic Alien and Aliens stay the way they are. Legendary alien movies.

They will continue to be legendary (The first two I mean). Their status dont depend on this new project.

Ridley Scott is a good director and im sure he would only consider a prequel/reboot if the story is strong enough. However saying that, im not a great fan of a reboot, prequel would be good, but why restart a licence which had such a great start. Alien and Aliens are such classic cinema and should be left in the alien universe.

The AvP films both 1 and 2 are the most awful, i don't understand how you could mess up such a great licence, the stories should practically write themselves.

While mystery is nice, I want answers! :laugh: Especially if it will bring an end to the series I don't like things being left unfinished. We don't need another sequel, we need a prequel. As for Vincent Wards script, for those who haven't read or don't really want to read it all care to explain what it was about?

I'd defiantly like to see some new characters attempt to find out answers. But maybe the audience never gets a definitive one.

This is wikipedia summary:

The screenplay by Ward and co-writer John Fasano had Ripley's escape pod crash landing on a monastery-like, wooden planet. The Alien? special features disc also explains how they would come about creating the story for a wooden planet. However, the inhabitants of this planet would view the arrival of Ripley as that of a religious trial from their "god." By having a woman on their monastery planetoid, their trial would be one of sexual temptation. To avoid this, the Monks of the wooden planet would later lock Ripley into a dungeon-like sewer. The early draft, which featured the Alien creature coming with Ripley, had the wooden planet Monks believing that the Alien was in fact the Devil. There are scenes and illustrations featured on this disc that show the "Wooden Planet." Aspects of the monastery/Monks of the early draft were later utilized in the final production of the film by having the male inmates participating in the religion shown. The screenplay featured a vast number of scenes set in different locations on the wooden planetoid, ranging from an internal 5 mile wide sea to wheatfields on its surface. Ward's intended version of the film proved hugely problematic, opposed by the studio who hired Greg Pruss and later Larry Ferguson for further rewrites, and eventually Ward left the film in frustration.

The concept art on the DVD is pretty cool.

God, Hollywood Originality is really LOST!!!:||

Why does someone always have to say this...