Ridley Scotts "Prometheus" (2012)

i don't recall engineers speak in the movie.

i enjoyed the movie and looking forward to the sequel.

in the deleted scene he did which I think he is referring to

I thought it was a pretty good film but seemed to linger in some scenes and they'd shown far too much in the trailers, even going as afar as showing the finale of the film on some of the posters.

This is why I refuse to watch trailers these days, they show entirely way too much of the storyline. Also from what I've found online they apparently cut out alot of scenes, I'm wondering if they will come out with an extended edition.

Hey, question for those who have seen this. I haven't seen Alien or Aliens (don't even recall if I saw Alien 3, know I didn't see past that) in YEARS. Like since I was a kid and my dad would watch it with me and say don't tell Mom, haha. I'd like to rewatch the others again, perhaps do a marathon one weekend or something. Should I watch the others again first, then Prometheus? Or should I start with this one being that it's a prequel. Kinda like the whole Star Wars thing I guess.

It's doesn't really matters.

What i recommend you though is to watch :

The theatrical cut of the first Alien. The director's cut doesn't worth it and is imo not as good.

The director's cut of Aliens (seconde movie). There's not much difference between the two version but the director's cut is better.

The director's cut of Alien 3. Do not bother with the theatrical cut imo.

You can skip alien 4 if you want it doesn't matter.

You can watch Prometheus first it does't really matters.

This is why I refuse to watch trailers these days, they show entirely way too much of the storyline. Also from what I've found online they apparently cut out alot of scenes, I'm wondering if they will come out with an extended edition.

I hope. The 2nd half of the movie really felt rushed imo. Also the whole movie was kind of badly edited and a mess like if they had to remove too much out of it to fully make sense. This is a 2 hours movie that should probably have been between 2:20 and 2:30.

I still enjoyed it a lot. And i think a lot of the nickpiking actually makes even less sense than the actual movie. Like people complaining about the worms still alive after all those years i mean come one ... people can't be serious about this a kid could understand this part of the movie ... But i must say the movie could have been much better and i think that a good well made director's cut could definately be better than the original movie.

I hope. The 2nd half of the movie really felt rushed imo. Also the whole movie was kind of badly edited and a mess like if they had to remove too much out of it to fully make sense. This is a 2 hours movie that should probably have been between 2:20 and 2:30.

I still enjoyed it a lot. And i think a lot of the nickpiking actually makes even less sense than the actual movie. Like people complaining about the worms still alive after all those years i mean come one ... people can't be serious about this a kid could understand this part of the movie ... But i must say the movie could have been much better and i think that a good well made director's cut could definately be better than the original movie.

True, and as to extend on that worm theory, we do not know the kind of technology used for them. For all we know it could have been some suspended animation or advanced hibernation. The possibilities are endless, its a movie!

True, and as to extend on that worm theory, we do not know the kind of technology used for them. For all we know it could have been some suspended animation or advanced hibernation. The possibilities are endless, its a movie!

Or the worms were always there and that they just weren't "enough" to register for the canisters to open.

While Damon Lindelof is the one most credited with the final result that was "Prometheus", at one time the film was very much an "Alien" prequel with a script by Jon Spaihts that initially got Ridley Scott excited about the project.

Now, in an extensive interview withEmpire, Spaihts reveals that the infamous 'facehuggers' from the "Alien" films were in his original draft and in particular were a key part of two scenes - the Shaw/Holloway sex scene and the much talked about makeshift surgery scene.

Spaihts says an unconscious Holloway gets facehugged in the chamber. Back on the ship and unaware, he has sex with Shaw and "it's while they're making love that he bursts and dies. So that lovemaking sequence echoed my original lovemaking sequence where he explodes! It was messy."

The other scene involves Michael Fassbender's David character being more malevolent: "Shaw goes to stop him and David ties her up and deliberately exposes her to a facehugger? David doesn't smell like a person - his breath isn't moist - so he can handle the thing like a kitten. It doesn't want him; it's not interested. But then he exposes it to her and it goes for her like a shot. He toys with her for a bit and then lets it take her. That, in my draft, was how Shaw was implanted with the parasite that she had to remove with the medpod sequence."

How does it ruin aliens?

Aliens is a classic, this film is not. The final ending scene to this film to show where Xenomorphs come from was a major letdown.

- That's just my opinion.

Also, if Xenomorphs are a mutation of these "engineers", where does the Queen laying eggs and face huggers laying eggs into humans come into it? Acid for blood... etc etc.

Aliens is a classic, this film is not. The final ending scene to this film to show where Xenomorphs come from was a major letdown.

Also, if Xenomorphs are a mutation of these "engineers", where does the Queen laying eggs and face huggers laying eggs into humans come into it? Acid for blood... etc etc.

As I understand it the weaponized mutagen(black liquid) contains properties that can cause it to mutant into a xeno like organism(with acid blood), though it can take a few generations to get to the one found in Alien. The xeno is not a unique mutation of the Engineers.

The Xenomorph mural on the wall in the engineers facility is a label for the contents of that particular lab.

Okay, I watched it over the weekend. I thought it was pretty bad. It was a long drawn out whole lot of nothingness. One of the more pointless movies I've watched recently. On the other hand, like I said in my last post, I haven't seen the other Alien movies in a LONG time, so perhaps if I had seen them more recently I'd pick up on more that this movie was supposed to "explain". Either way, it was just loaded with filler with about 15 minutes of actual substance. 2/5.

Okay, I watched it over the weekend. I thought it was pretty bad. It was a long drawn out whole lot of nothingness. One of the more pointless movies I've watched recently. On the other hand, like I said in my last post, I haven't seen the other Alien movies in a LONG time, so perhaps if I had seen them more recently I'd pick up on more that this movie was supposed to "explain". Either way, it was just loaded with filler with about 15 minutes of actual substance. 2/5.

It wasn't nesscairly supposed to explain anything from the original film, but rather just explore the "Engineers" and what they were doing. I agree with your assessment of the film though, it was dissapointing at best. Still, I like some of the mythos surrounding the franchise.

This was posted on the Facebook page:

promviralblu.jpg

I'll say again, how does it ruin Aliens? Does it change anything that happened in Aliens? No. It's not even considered to be related to the Alien films, just that its set in the same fiction/universe.

Xenomorphs are not a mutation of the engineers. Humans are a mutation of the engineers, humans infected with the mutagen turn into rampaging zombies, human intercourse resulted in the mutagen creating what would ultimately evolve into a facehugger, facehugger implanting into an engineer created the Xenomorph.

I just watched it and thought it rocked. I do have a question. In alien...the engineer is sitting in the chair as a skeleton how is this possible when he was in the human aircraft when he died?

I just watched it and thought it rocked. I do have a question. In alien...the engineer is sitting in the chair as a skeleton how is this possible when he was in the human aircraft when he died?

Because it was a different ship, and a different planet. Nothing you saw in Prometheus was anything you saw in Alien. I'm not going to debate whether this makes much sense from a movie-making/storytelling perpective, or if the movie makes sense in general.

Xenomorphs are not a mutation of the engineers. Humans are a mutation of the engineers, humans infected with the mutagen turn into rampaging zombies, human intercourse resulted in the mutagen creating what would ultimately evolve into a facehugger, facehugger implanting into an engineer created the Xenomorph.

So basically the Alien is the result of mistakes, stupidity, and a lot of ****ing around. Part of what made the Alien so cool was that it was supposed to be this ultimate killer. A perfect organism, able to exploit its prey to immediatley evolve to suit its environment. Something deliberately created with evil intent and purpose. Prometheus tells us the Alien was just the result of coincidence and chance. Why didn't they just say that the Alien evolved from the combination of Engineer mutagen and Elizabeth Shaw's gonorrhea? That would have been more scary.

Its not a skeleton, its a kind of space suit.

Prometheus planet isn't the same as the one in Alien, the film isnt a prequel.

Its not a skeleton, its a kind of space suit.

Prometheus planet isn't the same as the one in Alien, the film isnt a prequel.

Yeah reading I see it not a prequel which is disappointing many people. A few things bothered me but still I find this a great NON prequel.

I liked this movie, maybe not as much as I liked Alien, but definitely a good one on its own. The only thing that bothered me is that Charlize Theron's character seems to be off. I mean it's as if the movie can stand on its own without her character :/

There a lot of things they have fix in this new franchise, for example the Aliens. Predators used them to hunt for sport on earth, how than are the Aliens still around if they werent created yet? The Aliens were used for game thousands of years prior to that or did they decide to skip all of this and point to a new direction? I hope they explain why the Engineers wanted to destory the human race. Here is my version how the Predators would fit into all of this and tie each film. Yes the Aliens were around thousands of years prior even to humans being around same with the Predators, the Engineers filled the earth with there DNA and we were made but they didnt really keep an eye on us until later because humans made contact with the Predators, the Engineers dont like the Predators. The Predators showed humans how to construct buildings and use technology. As long as the Predators were shown tribute the human race would be safe. The Engineers didnt like it they wanted the human race to be left alone and not be interfered in any way, the Engineers didnt like it so they decided to use the Aliens as a weapon to go to Earth to destroy everything but it ended wrong. The Aliens they made were altered and they couldnt control them and they over took the Engineers and they tried to escape but one at least remained frozen in stasis. The Aliens were also engineered with a plague should they not been able to fufill what they were meant to do. The Aliens all died out except the ones looked in storage, well you know rest if you watched this movie on what happened. There are a lot of plot holes though that must be fixed.