Ridley Scotts "Prometheus" (2012)

So, it's a prequel. That's great. But who in the world is Carl Rinsch? I don't know of any movie(s) he has directed. :/

So, it's a prequel. That's great. But who in the world is Carl Rinsch? I don't know of any movie(s) he has directed. :/

He directed a couple of very, VERY mediocre movies in the middle of the 90's. He has directed a movie for over 13 years :/

He directed a couple of very, VERY mediocre movies in the middle of the 90's. He has directed a movie for over 13 years :/

Yep, I just checked his IMDb page. Wait, you mean he hasn't directed a movie in 13 years. I assume that's a typo. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Fox Wants Ridley Scott To Direct The Alien Prequel, and Not Carl Erik Rinsch

Last month is was revealed that commercial director Carl Erik Rinsch was attached to direct a remake of Alien. We have since learned that it is more of a prequel than a remake. I was one of the few people actually interested in Rinsch?s involvement. Rinsch?s commercials show an amazing sense of imagination, visual effects artistry and composition (we?ve profiled his amazing commercials on the site). Ridley Scott is said to be involved with producing the sequel, which leads us to believe it, at very least, has to be better than the last two Alien vs. Predator films. But apparently 20th Century Fox isn?t happy with the choice of director.

According to Entertainment Weekly (via playlist), Fox has yet to approve Rinsch for the prequel, even though Tony and Ridley Scott have given the filmmaker final approval. Fox apparently wants Ridley to return to helm the movie, which seems very unlikely at this point. To complicate things further, EW claims that Rinsch is not only Scott?s protege, a commercial director for Scott?s company RSA, but he is also romantically involved with Ridley?s daughter Jordan. So basically, he?s ?in the family.?

I?m not sure that Rinsch will produce an Alien film on the level of Scott?s original or James Cameron?s sequel, but I do know that he?s better than 99% of other possible choices. Fox needs to learn to give their ?artists? more creative control. The movie studio?s constant ?micro-managing? and ?second guessing? has been blamed for the studio?s trail of lackluster film releases.

**** them, while I'd like Scott in there, he's given this guy his blessing, he's still producing it and likely to be on set. I don't see him sitting mute and watching someone butcher his work. I think Fox needs to stfu and let directors do their own thing. Next we'll hear they want this to be PG13.

the best one was "Aliens" (Aliens 2)

I really liked soliders' futuristic weaponry/gear in that one....the armored transport vehicle....guns..etc.

the big canon strapped to the hip were sick!! bring an updated version of that back...love how it pivots from the hip...they had a cool powerful sound.... :p

the handle was like a motorcycle handle with a trigger like the brakes.

here's one...just looks bad ass... :D

PDVD_050.jpg

seems to be called the "smartgun"

smartgun.jpg

Edited by .Kompressor

• 1 month later...
'Alien' prequel takes off

Ridley Scott attached to return as director

Twentieth Century Fox is resuscitating its "Alien" franchise. The studio has hired Jon Spaihts to write a prequel that has Ridley Scott attached to return as director.

Spaihts got the job after pitching the studio and Scott Free, which will produce the film.

The film is set up to be a prequel to the groundbreaking 1979 film that Scott directed. It will precede that film, in which the crew of a commercial towing ship returning to Earth is awakened and sent to respond to a distress signal from a nearby planetoid. The crew discovers too late that the signal generated by an empty ship was meant to warn them.

The deal gives Fox another chance to keep the "Alien" franchise alive. There were three sequels to Scott's original, but it is the first time the director has set his mind on directing one.

Spaihts has become a go-to-guy for space thrillers. After Keanu Reeves became attached to his Warner Bros. sci-fi script "Shadow 19," Reeves hired Spaihts to write the space journey epic "Passengers," which is berthed at Morgan Creek. That script got Spaihts the meeting with Fox and Scott Free, and he won the job with an "Alien" reboot take that the studio and Scott loved.

Fox has separately hired him to rewrite "The Darkest Hour," which Timur Bekmambetov to produce with Tom Jacobson. Spaihts is writing "Children of Mars" for Disney and Scott Rudin, and he will follow by rewriting "St. George and the Dragon" for Sony and Red Wagon.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=pr...p;categoryid=13

I hope they make a prequel and tell the story of how the derelict ship arrived on LV426 in the first place. That can easily be done with Ridley Scott at the helm and they wouldn't need Sigourney Weaver or the Ripley character at all.

We need background story on that, because the ship appeared to be "piloted" by an alien, no not the ones that the title of the movie refers to, basically there's a lot of loose threads in the original that weren't fully explored.

Ridley Scott will return to direct a prequel to his Alien movie, confirmed

Variety

Sorry for bumping such an "old" thread, but this is pretty big news for us Alien fans after all :)

You're hardly bumping an old thread, the last post before Rob2687 posted today was on June 10th.

You're hardly bumping an old thread, the last post before Rob2687 posted today was on June 10th.

Yeah I know, that's why I had old in quotations. :D

OMG Rob I hate you. If I wasn't on the phone I woulda posted that first you, you person you! :D

I was late to the news today otherwise I would of been all over it like bee's to honey!

• 2 months later...

Empire magazine got a chance to talk to director Ridley Scott about the planned Alien prequel.

"It's a brand new box of tricks," said Scott. "We know what the road map is, and the screenplay is now being put on paper. The prequel will be a while ago. It's very difficult to put a year on 'Alien,' but [for example] if 'Alien' was towards the end of this century, then the prequel story will take place thirty years prior."

It was announced this summer that Jon Spaihts was writing the script for the prequel.

I liked a good year, the only gripe I have with that film is that Russell Crowe was miscast at parts in that movie

Miscast in Body of Lies also, he did the same expression in every scene, tilt head and slide glasses down nose! I wish he would use someone else already. Heard he has been a right diva on Robin Hood too.

Personally I don't think they really need to go into how the alien derelict ended up on LV49. Use your imagination!

Ignore the AvP films and let's assume that Nostromo wasn't the first time humans came across the aliens. Maybe a human deep-space exploration ship encountered the pilot-race (from where the unfortunate pilot in the derelict came from) which were in the middle of a war with the aliens on their home world. Finding the war being lost, the humans escape on a ship with a few alien-pilot people. Unfortunately one of the survivors has been inpregnated...

Empire magazine got a chance to talk to director Ridley Scott about the planned Alien prequel.

"It's a brand new box of tricks," said Scott. "We know what the road map is, and the screenplay is now being put on paper. The prequel will be a while ago. It's very difficult to put a year on 'Alien,' but [for example] if 'Alien' was towards the end of this century, then the prequel story will take place thirty years prior."

Sounds good. It's nice to have Ridley back. This is a good series.

Gimmie moar alien! Love the series. Glad Ridley is back and glad its a prequel taking place fairly far before the first. Yay for modern cgi too.

yeah with todays CGI this film could be sick!