Network transfer speed

Hi guys,

I came here in the hope of finding that one person that might help me out on this.

I have a small server running at home with windows server 2K3, and my laptop, which is running windows vista home premium 32 bit. Both have 100 mbit network cards. And are connected through a Dlink DI-624+ router configured to be a switch (dhcp disabled), and this switch connected to my router.

Everything works, got internet and all so no problem there.

Now when i transfer a file from the server to my laptop it goes about 6 mb/s.

When i try to transfer (idd, try...), it goes at 180 kB/s.

What have i done so far:

1. reset router
  2. reset switch
  3. newest driver for laptop network card
  4. disabled firewall etc
  5. checked if both network cards are running on 100 mbit full duplex
  6. checked IDE on server, both are on DMA and not on PIO (http://i42.tinypic.com/30l2vlh.jpg)
  7. checked my server resources on transer which are 3% cpu in use, and 226 mb ram in use (of the 768).
  8. tested transfers over FTP
  9. tested wireless on laptop instead of the cable, which gave me 2 mb/s which is still way too slow.

Im desperate...

thnx in advance guys

Since your laptop is running vista -- disable auto tuning, lots of people have issue with this.

From an admin cmd prompt (run as administrator)

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

To turn it back on

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

You can view all your setting like this

netsh interface tcp show global

Feel free to play with some of the other settings. You should be seeing much higher than 6MB/sec

Here I copied a almost 600MB file to my kids pc that is only using 100mbit in less than 1 minute.

C:\>robocopy c:\test \\kidsdell\c$\test XP-core.ISO

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started : Wed May 13 07:32:06 2009

Source : c:\test\

Dest : \\kidsdell\c$\test\

Files : XP-core.ISO

Total Copied Skipped Mismatch FAILED Extras

Dirs : 1 0 1 0 0 0

Files : 1 1 0 0 0 0

Bytes : 574.86 m 574.86 m 0 0 0 0

Times : 0:00:51 0:00:51 0:00:00 0:00:00

Speed : 11733444 Bytes/sec.

Speed : 671.393 MegaBytes/min.

Ended : Wed May 13 07:32:57 2009

I would suggest to see what speed your getting on the wire, if this is good then sure you can look to a drive type bottle neck, but if bad.. You should see atleast high 80 to low 90's on a 100mbit connection.

Example

C:\iperf>iperf -c kidsdell -w 256k

------------------------------------------------------------

Client connecting to kidsdell, TCP port 5001

TCP window size: 256 KByte

[284] local 192.168.1.100 port 54095 connected with 192.168.1.101 port 5001

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth

[284] 0.0-10.0 sec 111 MBytes 92.8 Mbits/sec

You can grab iperf here - http://www.noc.ucf.edu/Tools/Iperf/default.htm

But for example -- this is a test to my popcorn hour box pch-a110 (media player/streamer/etc) and its little cpu can not really drive the network interface at full speed.. Believe me I have tried everything to squeeze more out it.. The best I can transfer files to it is about 6-7MB/sec using FTP, if using SMB forget it 3.5 tops.

C:\iperf>iperf -c pch-a110 -w 256k

Client connecting to pch-a110, TCP port 5001

[284] local 192.168.1.100 port 54167 connected with 192.168.1.99 port 5001

[284] 0.0-10.0 sec 81.6 MBytes 68.2 Mbits/sec

If your seeing those kid of low speeds testing with iperf, then yeah your never going to see much better than 6MB/sec, if your seeing great speeds on the wire - then maybe the bottle neck is elsewhere, hard disk, etc. But first thing is disable the autotuning and you should see an improvement. Also you should be running SP1 on vista

Edited by BudMan

Ok budman, what i've done today, i bought a gigabit switch, which did fixed some (pitty it's still unknown) error, because now i get 9 mb/s on ftp transfer to the server.

Still, i only get 100 kB/s if i copy via windows explorer. Turning off the auto tuning made the max speed 400 - 600 kB/s.

So im figuring a vista fail. Im gonna try ftp transfer via explorer, and if the speeds are still that low, it must be explorer.exe aka vista.

checking in iperf atm too

if your on gig speeds, you should be WAY faster than 9MB/sec --- on gig your bottleneck is most likely going to be your hard disks.

For example -- here is copy of a file between 2 sata disk machines on gig.

C:\test>robocopy \\p4-28g\s$\iso c:\test xp-core.iso

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : Wed May 13 13:05:57 2009

Source : \\p4-28g\s$\iso\

Dest : c:\test\

Files : xp-core.iso

1 \\p4-28g\s$\iso\

100% New File 574.8 m XP-core.ISO

Total Copied Skipped Mismatch FAILED Extras

Dirs : 1 0 1 0 0 0

Files : 1 1 0 0 0 0

Bytes : 574.86 m 574.86 m 0 0 0 0

Times : 0:00:08 0:00:08 0:00:00 0:00:00

Speed : 70313074 Bytes/sec.

Speed : 4023.346 MegaBytes/min.

Ended : Wed May 13 13:06:05 2009

That is a read from my server, here is a write to the server of the same file size, just renamed it ;)

Speed : 65117638 Bytes/sec.

Speed : 3726.061 MegaBytes/min.

Ended : Wed May 13 13:08:12 2009

Here is a iperf test between the 2 machines running gig

C:\iperf>iperf -c p4-28g -w 256k

Client connecting to p4-28g, TCP port 5001

[284] local 192.168.1.100 port 54714 connected with 192.168.1.4 port 5001

[284] 0.0-10.0 sec 965 MBytes 810 Mbits/sec

I have seen higher ;) but Im remoted into both machines, and the one box is running w7 that I just installed when the RC came out so have not had time to tweak the tcp/ip stack yet, etc. But at 810Mbits/sec on the wire Im fairly sure my bottleneck is the drives ;)

Now on your laptop what is the HDD? Is it a 4200 rpm drive? That is going to be a bit of a slow down moving files, but it should be able to keep up with a 100mbit network. You should see atleast say 8-9 MB/sec to and from, etc. But yeah if your seeing "max speed 400 - 600 kB/s. " there clearly is something wrong.. Just need to track down what.

Do you have the Vista Service Pack installed? Prior to installing SP1 many people had issues with network transfer speeds.

Just had it installed, and guess what :)

File transfer from laptop to server now is 9 mb/s!

BUTTTTTTTTTT

File transfer from server to laptop is now 600 kB/s!

9MB/sec is FAIL if your using gig!

Please post results of your iperf testing, go both ways.

9MB/sec is FAIL if your using gig!

Please post results of your iperf testing, go both ways.

But he's not... He bought a gigabit switch. He said both PC's have 100mbit cards. Unless the cards were replaced also, the transfers aren't going to be any better.

I hear yah -- but why would you buy a gig switch if you don't have gig capable cards? Most any somewhat recent hardware would have a 10/100/1000 interface.

But sure if 100mbit then 9MB/sec is ok, but its not all that great either -- +10MB/sec is where I would be shooting for.. My kids box is 4 years old and was nothing special when I put it in, and I see 10MB+ per second to and from it no problem.

If he is not seeing atleast over say 8 both ways then yup he clearly has something not right, really would like to see the iperf tests both ways between the boxes. Lets make sure the wire supporting speeds to reflect where he thinks he should be at for transfer speeds - once we know the wire speeds are fine, we can move to where else the problem could be.

Ok i did the iperf thing.

First let me mention, sometimes i get 10 mb/s, both ways, np. But then other times it's way slower (600 kB/s), like I had a few secs ago, and i rebooted both machines, and then i did the iperf test. So im gonna post these results. When I get low speeds on the ftp transfer again, ill run another iperf test and put it on here.

So for now, iperf i ran on the dell-xps (my laptop):

C:\Users\Christophe>iperf -c begijnhof -d
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 8.00 KByte (default)
Client connecting to begijnhof, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 8.00 KByte (default)
[416] local 192.168.1.11 port 49479 connected with 192.168.1.12 port 5001
[412] local 192.168.1.11 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.12 port 1033
[ ID] Interval	   Transfer	 Bandwidth
[416]  0.0-10.0 sec  41.9 MBytes  35.1 Mbits/sec
[412]  0.0-10.0 sec   386 Mbits  38.6 Mbits/sec

C:\Users\Christophe>iperf -c begijnhof -w 256kb
Client connecting to begijnhof, TCP port 5001
TCP window size:  250 KByte
[360] local 192.168.1.11 port 49480 connected with 192.168.1.12 port 5001
[360]  0.0-10.0 sec   111 MBytes  92.9 Mbits/sec

The test i ran on the server (begijnhof):

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>iperf -c dell-xps -w 256kb
Client connecting to dell-xps, TCP port 5001
[1872] local 192.168.1.12 port 1034 connected with 192.168.1.11 port 5001
[1872]  0.0-10.0 sec  71.6 MBytes  59.8 Mbits/sec

[1872] local 192.168.1.12 port 1035 connected with 192.168.1.11 port 5001
[1872]  0.0-10.0 sec  71.8 MBytes  60.0 Mbits/sec

[1872] local 192.168.1.12 port 1036 connected with 192.168.1.11 port 5001
[1872]  0.0-10.0 sec  71.2 MBytes  59.5 Mbits/sec

Yes i still have 100 mbit cards, but i figured it was the old router/switch that could be buggy, so i bought a new one, 30 bucks for a gigabit switch from DLink aint that expensive, why bother buying a 100 mbit switch.

I'm planning on installing a different OS, on an extra partition, but on that case vista is giving me craps about partitions ;p

You clearly got something wrong on the wire.. 59.5Mbits/sec is complete FAIL

You have one test at 92.9 Mbits/sec that is normal for a 100mbit connection.

59-60 is worse than I get to my popcorn hour that has like a 300mhz cpu, etc. I get like 65-70Mbits to it.

I hear ya on the gig switch.. For $30 why not get the gig ;) Even if you currently don't have any gig interfaces. I keep trying to find an excuse to get a fully managed gig -- but JFC they get expensive ;) I might have to settle for just a smart one, currently have an 8 port and 5 port dumb gig and a couple of older 5 port 100mbit switches connecting everything - but I want to rewire and put a 16 port managed 1000mbit at the core, etc. ;) Maybe I tell my wife its my fathers day gift... heheheh

I see you did a dual test.. here is one to my kids crappy as celeron box

[356] local 192.168.1.100 port 53803 connected with 192.168.1.101 port 5001

[368] local 192.168.1.100 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.101 port 1061

[368] 0.0-10.0 sec 109 MBytes 91.1 Mbits/sec

[356] 0.0-10.0 sec 84.3 MBytes 70.5 Mbits/sec

You clearly got something really wrong.. Are you running some firewall? Antivirus suite?

I could connect my laptop I guess and force it to only connect at 100mbit -- but you should be seeing double what your seeing on that dual test.. and the other tests in the 50-60 range are just complete FAIL... hmmmmm

Here is a dual test to my crappy ass popcorn hour with a 300mhz cpu, etc.

[352] local 192.168.1.100 port 53767 connected with 192.168.1.99 port 5001

[368] local 192.168.1.100 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.99 port 58566

[368] 0.0-10.0 sec 35.3 MBytes 29.6 Mbits/sec

[352] 0.0-10.1 sec 38.0 MBytes 31.7 Mbits/sec

Which matches up pretty close to what you were seeing. But thats the best it can do.. What cpu and nic does this laptop have? Is it like 10 years old or something?

What we could do to take vista out of the picture, etc. is do the same iperf testing with linux -- but your fav live CD and test your network with that.. Damn Small linux for the ubuntu live CDs will work just fine, etc.

Ok i'm pretty sure it's vista, i got slow transfer speeds again, and now my winamp (with loca media files playing) freezes a bit when i try to connect to my ftp, formatting my windows now :) ill let you guys know how it goes.

crappy windows :(

edit: my laptop is a dell xps m1530, 4 gb DDR2, T7250 2 ghz, vista home premium

the sever is a p4 2,6 ghz northwood, 768 mb ram ddr1, master 40 gb IDE disk not used for storage, and a 250 gb laptop disk, connected to internal pci raid controller.

Would it be possible that there are something wrong with your network cable so it is losing packets?

"and now my winamp (with loca media files playing) freezes a bit when i try to "

Since you mention media files -- that reminds me of a vista issue with gig networks due to vistas MMCSS, limiting bandwith -- but thought that would only rear its head on a gig network. Let me dig up a great article on it -- here you go

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/a...27/1833290.aspx

Vista Multimedia Playback and Network Throughput

Because the standard Ethernet frame size is about 1500 bytes, a limit of 10,000 packets per second equals a maximum throughput of roughly 15MB/s. 100Mb networks can handle at most 12MB/s, so if your system is on a 100Mb network, you typically won’t see any slowdown.

I ran into this on vista -- was not seeing the bandwidth I should of been seeing for gig, etc. Ie I was hitting that 12MB/sec limit the article talks about.

There is work around in the article.. But you really should not be seeing this limit with a 100mbit network -- but maybe you could if playing media files while doing network transfers? Where you playing files while doing your iperf tests? That would be a good test to do - do it with playing and then without playing.

Now you got me curious what they did with this on windows 7, since I am not seeing the problem on my windows 7 box.. had forgot all about this issue until you mentioned media files.

edit: Was just going over the article again -- and this jumped out at me since you mentioned the 9MB/sec you were seeing.

"and with three adapters it will process a maximum of 6000 packets per second. 6000 packets per second equals 9MB/s, a limit that’s visible even on 100Mb networks. "

How many interfaces do you have? I would assume atleast 2 wired and wireless, but I wonder if say a 1394 interface could make it 3, which would explain your 9MB ;)

Edited by BudMan

Christ, My switch has 3 cables plugged in ;p One for my laptop, one for my server, and one connection to my router, which has 2 wireless clients connected on router's wlan, gonna check that article now, would be awesome

Edit: I don't think it's the media playing issue, because i tried it out, and with no other application than FF, mIRC and FlashFXP open, it still only get's about 736 kB/s maximum, and 350 kB/s average.

I still havent formatted my system, vista nags about partitions, but i think I can get it done with acronis.

Edit 2: ok, i was playing around with my network connection a bit, and when i turned all protocols off on my nic properties, i got a speed improvement to 2 mB/s. Gonna play around with those protocols a bit, and see if i get an improvement

Edit 3: got a maximum of 4 mb/s so far.

Edited by m1dnight

What? You should have 1 protocol, TCP/IP that is it. Your not running IPX or netbeui etc.??? -- for that matter you only need IPv4 as well, since I highly doubt your using IPv6..

As to partitions -- I have no idea WTF your talking about.. You sure and the F do not need any 3rd party tool to install an OS.

BTW the issue with 3 interface issue and 9MB/sec from the article has to do with the OS, not how many different devices you have connected to a router/switch, etc.

On the protocols, yes, I left tcp/ip and ipv4 checked, but I unchecked all the rest, the card was using many others like link layer topology, and client for microsoft networks.

well if your going to want client for MS networks if your going auth to a machine for file transfer ;)

link layer is not going to slow you down, either. Unchecking either those would have no effect on your file xfer speed - none!

You know as someone brought up -- have you checked the physical media.. You say it works and then doesnt work, etc. Couldn't hurt to rule out the physical media -- change out the wire. Its not running over any kind of power source or florescent lights is it?

I installed vista ultimate 64 bit today, and when i booted, i was glad to see my speed was 12 mb/s average to the server, and 10 mb/s average down.

But now few hours later, it's average 500 kB/s, and up is an average of 80 kB/s. The new hardware didnt fix anything. Still the same problem. Altho i can't try new hardware on my laptop i have lying around, but I tested it with 2 other laptops, and both have the same problem, and both had vista running.

Ok so the server is what vista 64bit and the laptops are what?

Did you turn of autotuning on both server and client? Have disabled ipv6 on both?

As suggested have you changed out the media itself? What are the lengths of the cables involved? Again are they running over any type of something that could cause interference.

Are your vista install SP1?

Can not really help if you the details we get are you tried multiple laptops and new hardware - what new hardware? The switch you bought way back? Or something different?

On a good note I moved to 2k8 on my server so now there is SMB2 on both ends -- nice improvement ;) Which is what you should be seeing between 2 vista boxes.

Then I tweaked the stack a bit, turned on chimney offload, etc. Screaming now!! The server is in the middle of downloading torrents and still screaming.

With just the change to smb2 went from like 70 to 77, etc.. Now its just through the roof ;)

post-14624-1242824024_thumb.jpg