Is John Carmack The New Stephen King Of Gaming ?

As I was over @ [H] reading a thread about the guy with the chainsaw in the recent screen shots that have been floating around, and how he has huge balls I began to think that with Doom 3 John Carmack may very well become the Stephen King of gaming.... I got a chance to take a look at the alpha and it's honestly some creepy stuff, I don't think it's the same kind of creepy that a little kid would get, it's more of a "Oh crap these guys are gonna kill me and I'll loose", but it's still creepy....

Carmack leads the ID team by programming the engine - but as far as I am aware he has very little to do with producing the artwork, models and settings that will give Doom III its look & atmosphere, that's probably more down to Adrian Carmack/Kevin Cloud & co.

His grasp of computer programming if used in a literary analogy would be more akin to master craftsman such as Sharespear rather than a horror writer!

I know, I can never understand why people describe him the way they do. As if he creates the game singlehandedly in his bedroom or something.

I know, I can never understand why people describe him the way they do. As if he creates the game singlehandedly in his bedroom or something.

[sarcasm] Isn't that how all games are made?[/sarcasm]

:woot:

even tho he doesnt exactly produce the whole game, its fair to assume he overlooks every aspect of it.. donating his own wicked ideas of visuals into it, im sure.. but yes, if DoomIII is half as scary as its made up to be, John Carmack will surely be remembered as the Stephen King, regardless of his participation in the game making process..

Geoff Crammond :)

Geoff Crammond doesn't make Doom 3, read. "..as if he [Carmack] create the game singlehandedly..."

I know there are bedroom coders still, another one that springs to mind is Jeff Minter.

i think hes the new J.K. Rowling! Wait, ur talking bout the scariness of games. Definitely Anne Rice. I think Anne Rice is scarier than Stephen King.

People seem to look at the biggest name in the game development as the creator of a game... Don't ask me why, people normally need a name to identify with.

i think hes the new J.K. Rowling! Wait, ur talking bout the scariness of games. Definitely Anne Rice. I think Anne Rice is scarier than Stephen King.

Anne Rice scary? np way, her vampire tales are like fairy tales

btw, no fps will be more scarier that Undying :woot: :woot:

Yah! Funny how the hundreds of people working behind the scenes to make a game what it is; aren't acknowledged... But John Carmack... Give me a break... He might be good, but without the drones he'd not release DoomIII by 2010! :p

:happy:

Geoff Crammond doesn't make Doom 3, read. "..as if he [Carmack] create the game singlehandedly..."

I know there are bedroom coders still, another one that springs to mind is Jeff Minter.

Hey, I knew he didn't write it, was just highlighting a bedroom coder :)

Please don't hurt me :cry:

,May 6 2003, 22:26] Anne Rice scary? np way, her vampire tales are like fairy tales

btw, no fps will be more scarier that Undying :woot: :woot:

avp2 was quite scary in some points :rolleyes:

I don't know... Doom III might have a lot of the frighten the crap out of you because an unexpected enemy popped up out of a shadow... tactics in it. :p

But Any game can do that... HL did that to me every once in a while when the head crabs jumped out. Speaking of HL... I can't wait until HL2 comes out.

Heh - dont think anyone else noticed/got this ;)

nice :D

I don't think anyone got it either, lol

whybkuul -- I thought he wasn't from USA or UK, but I was just teasing anyways ;) It's all in good fun.

Yah! Funny how the hundreds of people working behind the scenes to make a game what it is; aren't acknowledged... But John Carmack... Give me a break... He might be good, but without the drones he'd not release DoomIII by 2010! :p

Acknowledging just one person is very common in the game industry - just think of Miyamoto - do you EVER hear about those he works with? Not really...

Acknowledging just one person is very common in the game industry - just think of Miyamoto - do you EVER hear about those he works with? Not really...

Yah, I know.. Just doesn't make it right though :unsure: