push q updates....

alrighty here is what I am trying to do for my end users and save myself alot of time. Is there a third party toll besides (SMS from Microsoft) that I can use to push updates to my end users on a domain. Most of them are setup up as users not power users. I know my way around the network pretty well but am not too sure on how to push updates to users without the permissions.

thanks I will try these out I think I have used HFNetChk but it caused problems on our network. Any other programs out there to try would greatly be appreciated

Did HFNetChk 4.0 cause problems on your network? Been running here without any problems...

it caused a lot of traffic but did not seem to update the end users pc either. We have a fiber back bone between switches and run on 100baset.

have not thought about the group policies ....... like I said though I am knowledgable but not the greatest lol thats why I have neowin :woot: will look into that as well

ok the hfnetcheck is a great but is there a program out there thats maybe free or explains how to push updates. The hfnetcheck is limited to 50 pc's unless you pay for it .

sus?  do you mean SMS  thats quiet expensive  but sus i'm not sure what you are talking about

Software Update Services.

Requires Windows 2000 Server SP3 or later.

Because it requires all clients to have "Automatic" Updating on their machines.

which means that all client machines need.

WIndows 2000 Professional SP3, or Windows XP Professional, Home Edition is not compatible with a Domain Enviornment. However, via Manuall Registry Hacking, you can give HE compatibilty :D

This is also built in to Windows Server 2003.

thanks I am downlaoding that right now all of our machines are 2000 pro w/ sp 3 on them will see about pushing it from my 2000 server . I was not aware of this lol seems I have more learning about 2000 server

ok I thought this would be ok but we are not running IIS on our servers and do not want to due to security reasons. Anymore ideas out there . It was a good try but the IIS poses a problem to us.

ok? I thought this would be ok? but we are not running IIS on our servers and do not want to due to security reasons. Anymore ideas out there . It was a good try but the IIS poses a problem to us.

For Crying out loud. So tired of people kicking down on IIS.

Since you don't know much about SUS, since we've just introduced it to you let me explain somethings.

This is not an IIS security issue, or does it propose one. The purpose of the IIS Install is because you have to have the Web Adminstration for SUS, it mimicks the way you would use Microsoft Windows Update.

If you're so worried you have every ability to Change the port in the IIS Configuration and you can close your firewall, off to outside users, the purpose of SUS is to have an INTRANET update system instead of making your users go out to Windows Update and download the software. SUS Downloads all the latest updates from the Microsoft Server then you Push it out on your Local Intranet Side to your clients and servers, this saves you money with waisted bandwidth costs from going outside your intranet zone and out to the internet zone.

Edited by xStainDx

we are not running IIS on our servers and do not want to due to security reasons.

i don't understand why so many people instantly think "IIS == security issues". do they know how to use it and how to configure a firewall? it's just as secure as anything else... configure the firewall, apply updates/hotfixes, and make sure permissions are set correctly.

BTW, SUS can only be run from a member server, not a DC. So, you would need 2 servers minimum. One to be the DC, the second for SUS.

uh, I ran it from my DC ?

if i can remember.... I think so? :huh:

uh, I ran it from my DC ?

if i can remember.... I think so??:huh::

Yes, I see that now. Apparently they changed it. Weird.

edit:

Microsoft Software Update Services (SUS) Server 1.0 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) addresses several customer requests and fixes several issues found in the SUS 1.0 release.

Some of the improvements described in the release notes include:

Ability to run on Windows 2000 Domain Controller and Small Business Server

Better integration with IIS lockdown tool

Details links of Software Update Packages

Well, they did change it. Now I might consider it for work.

well the problem is that we do nto have a firewall

LOL, and what is your corporate gateway's IP address again? :rolleyes:

hah the problem is you may be able to hit the router but after that the ip is setup as vpn and there is nothing open that you can attack :p

hah the problem is you may be able to hit the router but after that the ip is setup as vpn and there is nothing open that you can attack :p

then why do you say you don't have a firewall. :huh:

You need to learn a little bit about basic networking. :)