917 posts in this topic

percy-jackson.jpg

Strangely, a recommendation from a friend.

They're making it into a movie with a pretty all star cast.

They're kids books, like Harry Potter, read a lot like Harry Potter, but are a lot more tongue in cheek, and it's a very, very quick read.

There are like.. 5 of them? I think..

I'm currently getting totally out of my depth with A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking :p

PHP%206%20and%20MySQL%205%20for%20Dynamic%20Web%20Sites.jpg

bleh.

Also reading Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol, taking a while as I only seem to read it when i'm traveling.

Vampire Diaries Book 4

Looking to get the new Peter Hammilton book this weekend, should be a good read.

Just finished a books-on-tape version of Terry Brooks "Magic Kingdom for Sale" via bpl's on-line audio book borrowing service.

Currently reading the hardback edition of Sheri S. Tepper "Singer from the Sea" from my personal library. I need to buy more hardbacks and start actually building a library worthy of the name.

Flitting between The Novice and All Quiet On The Western Front.

I am on a Dan Brown roll, reading Digital Fortress as of now.

currently reading a compendium of H.G. Wells.

I've just read the 8th book in The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith (seriously easy reading), now I'm tackling:

Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy - approaching half way in this 1500 page epic. The State of Africa by Martin Meredith and Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky, and current audiobook is Born to Run: The hidden tribe, the ultra-runners, and the greatest race the world has never seen: The Rise of Ultra-running and the Super-athlete Tribe by Christopher McDougall.

51WAPFGC2YL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU02_.jpg436773m.jpg513CQX2FP3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU02_.jpg51jOBlsIVdL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51piBSgZizL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I'm not bookish by any means but am easily absorbed into so many topics - could do with a Kindle really. For those in the UK it's actually far cheaper to get books from Play.com's PlayTrade - I've not paid more than ?2.50 delivered for any of the above:))

Edited by dancedar

The Defence of the Realm - The Authorized history of MI5

The Reader by Bernard Schlinks and 1984 by Geroge Orwell, just finished Whos afraid of Virginia woolf, woollf, woolf but Edward Albee.

The Art of War

true blood (club dead)

Saturn's Children by Charles Stross. So far it hasn't lived up to the other works of his that I have read, but I must give him credit, the gynoid/spaceship lesbian sex scene was very tastefully done.

The Spooks Series - Joseph Delaney.

Not too bad, interesting take on his little world. Books are a tad short for my liking, I just feel he could do more with the story than he is. His focus on 3 particular parts on paranormal activity seems limiting at first but he make use of shades of grey instead of the usual good and evil which allows him to make interesting enough distinctions. From time to time he diverts in to things outside that sphere but they are usually the antagonist of a single novel and then poof nadda.

Presently up to : Spooks - Battle, still two more to go sitting on the shelf

We'll see how he goes in the next few, I hate judging an author in full half way through a series.

Lost Symbol - Dan Brown

Previously finished the whole Twilight Saga and "The Host" from the same author (the book is way better than the movie)

Reading 2 right now:

Lost Symbol - Dan Brown

Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood

The Postmodern condition by David Harvey

Real Effect: Postmodern debates about photography by Jorge Ribalta

and

Conversations between Jacques Herzog and Jeff Wall

trueblood (dead to the world)

Commonwealth Saga (Pandora's Star & Judas Unchained) - Peter F. Hamilton.