PS3 Cell faster than Core i7 965 XE

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Defiantly

Defiantly

In Capsa Vino Veritas!

• Phone: IPhone 5S

Posted 24 May 2009 - 20:58

A Ferrari is MUCH faster than my minivan. But, A Ferrarri cost to much to buy, isn't compatable with many of the roads I like to drive, has some really stupidly designed features like it's tiny stering wheel and I can't take it to my local shop because hardly anyone knows how to fix the damn thing.

I'll stick with my Mini-Van. :-)

#17 vetFred Derf

Fred Derf

Klaatu barada nikto

Posted 24 May 2009 - 22:04

You tell me what a core i7 can do that the Cell cant please.

Well, the Captain Obvious answer would be to say "executing x86-compatible software at full speed".

#18 Ci7

Ci7

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iphone 5S

Posted 24 May 2009 - 22:07

Well, the Captain Obvious answer would be to say "executing x86-compatible software at full speed".

+1

#19 McSmiggins

McSmiggins

Neowinian

Posted 24 May 2009 - 22:10

DPAD's PS3 - 360 "End all Arguements" Article

This is probably the best article I've ever read comparing 360/PS3/PC CPU/GPU etc. It's three years old, and most of it is off topic for this discussion, but the CPU part of the article is very relevant here. (Particularly page 3)

Not trying to take it away from the Cell, it's a floating point powerhouse, but you wouldn't use it in a desktop really.

#20 bob_c_b

bob_c_b

broth fascist

Posted 24 May 2009 - 23:39

he just telling the truth man..apples to oranges comparison is no good

That might be true, but he never sticks his head around the Sony corner accept to say something negative. I know he works for MS, but give it a rest.

#21 soonerproud

soonerproud

soonerproud

Posted 24 May 2009 - 23:50

That might be true, but he never sticks his head around the Sony corner accept to say something negative. I know he works for MS, but give it a rest.

Some of us see it different and value his opinion because quite frankly he knows what he is talking about. If you don't like the way he answers question, then just disregard his post and move on. The rest of us will continue to value his opinon and learn something in the process.

#22 bob_c_b

bob_c_b

broth fascist

Posted 25 May 2009 - 00:17

Some of us see it different and value his opinion because quite frankly he knows what he is talking about. If you don't like the way he answers question, then just disregard his post and move on. The rest of us will continue to value his opinon and learn something in the process.

:rolleyes:

#23 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:03

*looks at title, looks at replies* :pinch:

We already know the cell is good at number crunching and physics based calculations, this isn't that surprising.

I encode my own Blu Rays so if this is fast enough to justify doing it through the PS3 and then transferring back to the PC I might buy into it. An encode on my PC right now is anywhere between 14-24 hours+ depending on the quality settings I use.

That's also a main point to consider, how flexible is this software and what quality will it produce.

#24 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:12

Generally speaking, in this day and age, video encoding not taking advantage of GPU acceleration, regardless of how good the CPU is, is just silly. Considering the Cell is many-core-esque, like the GPU, it's expected to fly better for this type of operation. However, encoders which makes use of the CPU and the GPU for the PC will absolutely floor the Cell. Having encoders run purely on the i7 isn't typically a fair real world scenario.