Why does HL 2 seem to be competing with Doom III

I was just wondering why many people on this board - along with a few others gaming boards - seem to be creating a competition out of Half Life 2 and Doom 3.

It irks me for a couple of reasons 1) There really aren't enough details about either yet. 2) People taking their Doom 3 info from a leaky alpha 3), and most important, WHY?!?!

Can't we all just agree that these two games will be unbelievable good, so just buy whichever one u want (which probably should be both) and be happy that these are sequels which everyone has been dying for will FINALLY be released?

(Now it's time to start revamping hope for Duke Nukem Forever) :woot:

Edited by chrisa107

i dunno we are weird, I think that Doom3 is by far the best gfx possible. HL2 doesn't have the best, but it is a lot better game, Doom3 look 2 weird to play, but thats just me

I'm with you chrisa. Besides, all of this compitition is moot until we actually get to play the games.

HL2 rulez and down with doom 3 :D

well i just think its weird the leak of doom 3 :/ then a month after patches are realeased and some from the company iwe heard :|

What patches? People made mods to make the alpha leak run better, and that's it.

Just a heads up, normally developers don't release patches for illegal alpha leaks - just not normal business policy.

Yeah, I'll probably get them both.

Doom 3 will probably have better graphics, better multiplayer and be scarier. Half-Life 2 will probably have a stronger plot, be more intriguing and have more in the way of team play. These are based on past games by these developers - IMHO Halflife multiplayer sucked, it was only mods that made it stand out. Both will be modded to high heaven and Counter Strike 2 and/or Day of Defeat 2 will replace CS1 as the biggest multiplayer FPS.

They are different games and they will have their own strenghts. People will compare them as they're 2 big sequels from big developers, but they are trying to achieve different things.

Can't wait till we get Raven's Quake IV based off the Doom III engine - if anything will recquire a system upgrade, that will probably be it.

Come on people;

DoomIII will probably be mediocre as a game, but will produce a next gen engine that you'll see in many better games in the future.

HL2 will probably push the envelope and introduce a much needed refresh of the singleplayer FPS genre. As far as the engine goes, you might see it in two or three future games.

I think it comes down to personal choice. Most will probably play both. However, what engine will you be playing on five years from now?..... there's the real debate.

I think people are just excited about the two for two different reasons. Doom 3 looks great so far. Half-Life 2 looks good but more importantly has a STRONG storyline drive game. I personally think that they will be spaced far enough apart to avoid any serious cut into one anothers profits. HL2 is due out September 8, while Doom 3 is only TENATIVELY scheduled for late this year (last I hear November-ish, but that was a VERY strong ISH). I think some of the new will ahve worn off HL2 by that time and people will be excited to see what Doom 3 brings...

the story for hl2 (though it is unknown, I think) should be incredible. I read somewhere that it is gordon an undisclosed time later, working for the g-man. That is all I know, but it has the same writer, who did a great job the first time, and is supposed to be much longer.

2) People taking their Doom 3 info from a leaky alpha

:angry: that is probably the lamest thing ive seen. People instantly assume that Doom III is going to suck because of the ****ty alfa. people have to stop judging ANYTHING from that POS illegal release.

Can't we all just agree that these two games will be unbelievable good, so just buy whichever one u want (which probably should be both) and be happy that these are sequels which everyone has been dying for will FINALLY be released?

i think its just in our nature to try and compare the two and see which one is better. I personally would like to see which gaming franchise is the true king of the hill when it comes to FPS.

Im sick of these pretentious "stop arguing because i know better" threads, if the arguing ****es you off so much then dont read the threads, dont tell people what to think.