Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EAC ripping & encoding tutorial

47 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

After seeing many people ask about ripping and encoding audio CDs here, I have decided to make a little tutorial for people who want to make the best possible rips as well as encoding quality. EAC (Exact Audio Copy) is used to extract the audio as well as direct the encoding and tagging of the extracted wav files. EAC uses the best in audio extraction and error correction to ensure the highest possible end result. This guide will cover both MP3 and OGG audio compression options. MP3 is the most popular standard with very good transparent quality possible. OGG Vorbis is also used which is a newer compression which delivers better compression then MP3 as well as growing support.

I. Downloading needed files.

ASPI - allows your CD-ROM to rip audio

[url=http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/]EAC

Edited by username

Posted

Stuck :) You know you wanted me to :p

Posted

That was a bit brief. You didn't cover the one thing that I had a huge problem with when I first started using EAC:

Getting it to use a CONSTANT bitrate instead of a variable one.

This is what I finally came up with in my compression options:

Posted

thats what this thread is all about though, the main purpose it high quality and accurate ripping, as well as encoding options

as for CBR, i would go with --alt-preset cbr 160 as the --alt-preset has the best tuned lowpass filter built in

Posted

When you rip to ogg, how can you have EAC tag your files?

Posted (edited)

When using high bitrates (-q5 to -q10) use Oggenc GT3 by gharf over at sjeng.org. Results almost rival Musepack. It fixes "preecho" and allows for better bit allocation.

Your URL for LAME also seems to be broken. Latest stable binary can be found here at Rarewares. When ripping with LAME it's better to set it up as an external encoder rather than using the EAC DLL which produces unpredictable results.

Secondly, C2 correction should be disabled even if your drive is capable of it.

Edited by Animaniac

Posted

Or you can just use CDex which has all of those Codecs built in.

Posted

When you rip to ogg, how can you have EAC tag your files?

I believe tags itself, if you tell it that you're using Ogg Vorbis in the external encoder pane.

Posted

That was a bit brief. You didn't cover the one thing that I had a huge problem with when I first started using EAC:

Getting it to use a CONSTANT bitrate instead of a variable one.

This is what I finally came up with in my compression options:

Why would anyone use CBR?

Posted

I believe tags itself, if you tell it that you're using Ogg Vorbis in the external encoder pane.

Yeah, just tried it again, and it did tag the files--first time might have been a fluke. I am digging ogg though. :yes::cool: Just wish there was greater hardware support, and a WMP plug in would be nice.

Posted

Yeah, just tried it again, and it did tag the files--first time might have been a fluke. I am digging ogg though. :yes::cool: Just wish there was greater hardware support, and a WMP plug in would be nice.

WMP plug-in via DirectShow filter is availible here: http://tobias.everwicked.com

^_^

Posted

I'm fond of "--alt-preset standard"

Posted (edited)

When using high bitrates (-q5 to -q10) use Oggenc GT3 by gharf over at sjeng.org.
Edited by username

Posted (edited)

Is there any good user manuals for encoding with ogg? I recognize some of the parameters that you listed but It'd be nice if there was something that I could look at as a reference and as a means to learn more about this format.

edit:

Is there anything that I could use in order to join ogg files? I have some classical stuff that I just ripped but the one piece is broken up into movements by track on the CD and I'd like them all to be in one ogg file, if you know what I mean. Or is there a way to rip a grouping of tracks into a single file?

Edited by Mav Phoenix

Posted

IMHO, you should remove the link to the LAME MP3 codec in the post. It is a link to the source files, not the binaries.

You can get LAME and Vorbis MP3 binaries at rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org

www.hydrogenaudio.org has lots of tutorials and discussion

Posted

Wrong topic :wacko:

Posted

So what is the difference between EAC and Easy CDDA Extractor or Audiograbber? Don't they do the same thing?

Posted

thanks guys, I've managed to get much better sounding mp3's just by adding a few command line parameters.

Posted

You shouldn't forget Musepack, Case has done tutorial for setting mpcenc for EAC.

Posted

How to make AAC audio files on PC

Posted

all i can say is: --alt-preset standard -Z

Posted

may i just suggest an awesome plugin for Winamp which allows ripping CDAs to MP3s? no need for a software, if you're using Winamp, simply download, install, download the CD-reading applet/patch/plugin and you're set.

Chun Yu Shei-'s MP3 Ripper for Winamp (don't ask about the name)

Rip CDs to MP3 directly with Winamp! Why use a different program to rip CDs when you can rip them with Winamp? No ACM codec required either! Be sure to grab the CD Reader plugin from http://www.url.ru/~copah/ if you want to rip CDs (and read the help file too). The help file is HTML help, which most versions of Windows should be able to read. If you can't read it, go to www.microsoft.com and get the HTML Help viewer. You can use VBR and ABR encoding and select how to name the output. New in this version: Can add ID3 tags to output. Added option to display speed statistics after encoding each file (don't use it when you want to encode a CD, since a dialog box pops up after each track).

Posted

Because there are more options and settings, with other programs.

Posted

How to make AAC audio files on PC

Hydrogenaudio wiki: AAC

Posted

Can someone provide a profile for EAC for AAC encoding?