EAC ripping & encoding tutorial

I want to make a ABR (as they are better than VBR, or so I have read) and am wondering how to do it? I use Dibrom's LAME version as that is said to be the best. I am wondering if this can be done? I want to make 192bit MP3s if possible. Thanks.

I want to make a ABR (as they are better than VBR, or so I have read) and am wondering how to do it? I use Dibrom's LAME version as that is said to be the best. I am wondering if this can be done? I want to make 192bit MP3s if possible. Thanks.

depends on what bitrate you encode at, 128ABR is better then CBR 128, but -aps VBR is better then ABR 192

for ABR encoding use this switch

--alt-preset ###

--alt-preset 128

• 1 month later...
Yup, CDex served me well. Ripped 500+ albums with it to MP3, but now I'm re-ripping my albums in .aac

i still find mp3 the best overall quality but i now have winamp pro with aac and mp3 too so can use either, i also have been using cdex for years using qmode0 in lame and vbr 192-224 and wihtout fail the audio clarity is superb each time, lame version 3.93 btw, rips a 4 min track in about 25 seconds at 12x realtime

• 4 weeks later...

I used to use CDex @ 192. I then ripped a few albums at 320 and was very impressed with the quality.

I then encoded the same albums using the Musepak encoder in EAC with a variable bit-rate which peaks about 215.

They sound great and are so much smaller than a 320 mp3 :D

you know....honestly i disagree about EAC being the best ripping program....in fact i think it is very overrated and ever since i got into the scene i have had problems with the program....and for two years i have been ripping cd's with a much better program (at least in my eyes)...

while its not free-ware....i think its a hell of a lot better...and it doesnt have a WIN-DOS pop up....heh

Easy CD-DA Extractor ...... here

• 2 weeks later...

-V 1 -b 128 -m j -h -q 1

so is that the best commandline to use? thats the one they gave on the site. I used to use CBR but VBR is so much better but then again the files are alot larger. Just wondering I guess.

you know....honestly i disagree about EAC being the best ripping program....in fact i think it is very overrated and ever since i got into the scene i have had problems with the program....and for two years i have been ripping cd's with a much better program (at least in my eyes)...

while its not free-ware....i think its a hell of a lot better...and it doesnt have a WIN-DOS pop up....heh

Easy CD-DA Extractor ...... here

well you are just dead wrong... sorry

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is it me, or is this guide out of date. I just installed EAC and I couldn't find half the options.

yeah, there is a new version of EAC as well as lame... have to update it when i get some time (Y)

• 3 months later...

Hi..all! thanks to err... username mountaineer dude 4 the guide, really appreciated by me, a newbie. Great stuff.

I've a question if ya dont mind - I'm encoding a couple of songs at various bit rates lame and ogg to find which is basically the lowest file size that i cant tell from the original.

When trying a few ogg encodings to compare to lame, should I use the variable bitrate xxx kbps options or the quality x options? Whats the difference? Also when encoding to mp3 should i use the vbr xxx kbps or the xxx kbps? and whats that alt- preset standard thingymigib?

am very confused :(

hope someone can help!

sach

Edited by sach16

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...
  • zhangm locked this topic