[rel] Gmail Notifier Plus for Windows 7

Hi All,

Gmail Notifier Plus is awesome app and just one(or two) thing i want from you, just like Firefox's Gmail manager when you click the account title, program redirects you the inbox belonging to exact account.Is it possible or is there any progress about this feature.

And the other is:

- Adjustable new mail preview.

thank you.

OK, Still no word from the original author. Source is going onto GitHub tonight. I'll post again when it's pushed.

I'm going to start actively maintaining the app through GitHub and offering downloads on shellscape.org moving ahead. I WILL be leaving the original author's donation links in place, but shellscape.org has a general donate link as well. It's up to the users at that point.

Well this is going to take a little longer than I had thought from browsing the source. Exported successfully. However, the code does a lot of wonky things and it abuses resource files something awful, so it's taking a bit longer to get it to build. The settings file architecture and code that works with it needs to be completely reworked. Same goes for the localization stuff.

I'll post updates as I have them.

OK, Source code is up at http://github.com/shellscape/Gmail-Notifier-Plus

The solution will build, however it will not run at present. I have a lot more work to do on it before it will run, unfortunately. I've restructured the source tree from the original Reflector export of the source. I have no way of knowing if the export represented the original source tree, but I've removed a ton of fluff and code that just wasn't needed. Also remedied some stuff that wasn't exactly proper in the projects and re-imported the supporting projects the author was using, as referenced projects, instead of bundled code within the main application project.

You'll also notice from the source that all of the localization files for non-English languages have been removed. I'll get those back in there in due time. The original author was using a resource-file-based method of storing the locale data, which just isn't flexible and requires a lot more code to work with. I'm in the process of switching that to an embedded xml file method to take advantage of serialization awesomeness. This should make it easier for folks to submit new language files in the future, and allow for dynamic loading of languages from file if that ever needs to get put in there.

I'll post more updates as I have them.

Some more progress: Rebuilt the Main, Notifier and Settings forms. I can't tell if it was the original code or if it was Reflector mangling them beyond repair, but they needed rebuilding. We have .resx and .Designer.cs files for the forms now at any rate, something Reflector won't give you when you export.

Project is still building. Next step is to get it running correctly.

Note: I chose to remove all of the numbered icons that the author was using. No reason to have them as an embedded resource (which is also a UI limitation, you cant display more than 20 unread emails) when you can just draw them in memory quickly. In the next few days I'm also going to remove a lot of the image resource, and the heavy use of PictureBox, and do some more manual drawing. That'll decrease the exe size and speed up the rendering some.

Cheers.

Awesome, just what I was looking for.

We have 3 accounts and this makes checking them for new emails very easy.

Keep up the good work :)

The nice thing about this app is that the code is relatively simple. I've been swamped the last week but once I get the time to get the source running properly, I can put some extensive tracing into it for folks that are getting frequent crashing. We'll be able to use that to solve situations like TDQuicksilver is experiencing.

The nice thing about this app is that the code is relatively simple. I've been swamped the last week but once I get the time to get the source running properly, I can put some extensive tracing into it for folks that are getting frequent crashing. We'll be able to use that to solve situations like TDQuicksilver is experiencing.

Can you please also support having small icons in the taskbar/superbar. Currently, the icon doesn't change at all when email arrives if you have small icons checked.

Taskbar and Star Menu Properties/Taskbar/Use Small Icons

I love your program, yet it is currently totally useless for me.

Thanks

Do I need to go back to decompile-fixing this app for people again? I was doing it awhile ago but then the author came back.

Yes, please. It would be great to see different implementations of the same app ;)

Do I need to go back to decompile-fixing this app for people again? I was doing it awhile ago but then the author came back.

If you'd like. I have a github repo setup with the source from reflector (see previous page), and I'm working on getting the source to a working-condition.

Can you please also support having small icons in the taskbar/superbar. Currently, the icon doesn't change at all when email arrives if you have small icons checked.

Taskbar and Star Menu Properties/Taskbar/Use Small Icons

I love your program, yet it is currently totally useless for me.

Thanks

I doubt it was intended as such, but that came off pretty snarky. Be grateful for applications people write in their own time and release for free. Show your appreciation rather than calling it 'useless'. You'll catch more bees with honey than you will with vinegar.

Now, I'm not the author of this app; dig through the previous pages (or the first) to find the original author. When I release the fork of the app from the Reflector source, then you can complain about it to me. You should also note that this is not intended to be used with small icons and the original author states as much in a previous page.

.You should also note that this is not intended to be used with small icons and the original author states as much in a previous page.

I wonder why it's not intended to run with small icons? I assume it can be done or at least the author of DefenseWall is doing it with his security app

I'd like to request a feature: would it please be possible to add a checkbox to the app's settings page like "Notify of all messages in the inbox" such that when checked the app would notify even of the messages that are marked as read but are still present in the inbox? I believe it would be very useful to those who have implemented the "inbox zero" method (see http://www.slideshare.net/merlinmann/inbox-zero-actionbased-email or the original talk delivered at Google: http://inboxzero.com/video/) into their workflow.

Oh, and one more thing: has anyone tried to fix the "auto-login bug" (i.e., the problem with not being logged in when one chooses viewing their inbox though the context menu)?

nvx

It would be a nice feature if the program's icon flashes when a new e-mail is received.

Just like Windows Live Messenger does when a contact sends you a message:

58889495.gif

Well sure. You have to write the code to make that happen. The original author didn't, as far as I can tell.

Ok, maybe that clears it up but your post implied that it's not doable. You asked for requests, you got one albeit semi-rudely from a user, and then state that it's not intended to work with small icons. I was just confused

Hi All,

I have just moved to Gmail from Outlook 2007/2010. I am free, at last, from keeping mail from sync'd on three separate machines and my "android" mobile phone.

This app greatly increases the usability of gmail, for me at least, and appears to work perfectly on my three 32 bit Windows 7 machines.

Keep up the good work as this is one app I would really like to see developed. Not that there is much (anything?) wrong with it now.

Thank you thank you thank you! :D

I've been fighting intensely with Google's Gmail Notifier which keeps showing a login window with username and password filled in, but won't login automatically.

Great program! I've only discovered one defect so far. I noticed on more than once occasion, that on Windows 7 x64, after resuming from Hibernate the following error occurs. I click Continue and everything seems to be ok with Gmail Notifier Plus features after that.

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
   at Microsoft.WindowsAPICodePack.Taskbar.ThumbnailToolbarButton.UpdateThumbnailButton()
   at GmailNotifierPlus.Notifier.UpdateThumbButtonsStatus()
   at GmailNotifierPlus.Notifier.UpdateMailPreview()
   at GmailNotifierPlus.Notifier.webClient_DownloadDataCompleted(Object sender, DownloadDataCompletedEventArgs e)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4952 (win7RTMGDR.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Gmail Notifier Plus
    Assembly Version: 2.1.2.0
    Win32 Version: 2.1.2.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Gmail%20Notifier%20Plus/Gmail%20Notifier%20Plus.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Web
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_64/System.Web/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll
WindowsBase
    Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.0.6920.5001 built by: Win7RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/WindowsBase/3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/WindowsBase.dll
PresentationCore
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_64/PresentationCore/3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationCore.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4926 built by: NetFXw7
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
PresentationFramework
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/PresentationFramework/3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationFramework.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.