Nokia N97

Still debating about the n97 or samsung omnia hd or the next iphone.

Samsung omnia hd - 16 gb, 8 mpixel cam, Good hd video recording, AMOLED screen, Faster CPU and Graphics, capacitive touch screen and I've seen the samsung for 800 dollars online.

Nokia - Slide out keyboard, 32 gb, 5 mpixel, resistive touchscreen. 603 dollars from amazon.

I'm wondering whats better for music. Still waiting for the specs of the iphone though.

n97 has capacitive touch too 5800 has resistive

Imo, although omnia HD is a nice phone storage is big part of price of N97. Lacking keypad doesn't do it for me as stated but it's got nice camera and screen so depends where priority is with it i guess.

As for iphone I wouldn't hold your breath much on it. I think it's quite obvious apples focusing on firmware so any updated hardware won't be a huge improvement i doubt features will change much. Camera will go to 3.2Mpx maybe OLED screen and 32GB but that's about it.

Edited by Digix

Thats odd I've read from multiple sites that the nokia n97 has a resistive touchscreens.

Iphone rumors are that it is getting a digital compass and better processor as well as up to 32 gb memory. I'm leaning towards the n97 though as its cheaper than the samsung. Apparently the samsungs hd video recording has really bad audio.

I hope this does come to the US to ATT. Becuase I like nokia phones and if this comes to the US and i see it at my ATT phone and I use the demo and like it, im gonna get it.

I might just end up getting this over the iPhone if I like how it works.

Thats odd I've read from multiple sites that the nokia n97 has a resistive touchscreens.

Iphone rumors are that it is getting a digital compass and better processor as well as up to 32 gb memory. I'm leaning towards the n97 though as its cheaper than the samsung. Apparently the samsungs hd video recording has really bad audio.

Oh just done a read up and you're right apologies. it will be using resistive. sucks but ahwell minor negative flaw.

The Nokia N97 is a great phone but it's overpriced. I went for the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and I love it. Plus, it's a great replacement for your MP3 player.

Oh just done a read up and you're right apologies. it will be using resistive. sucks but ahwell minor negative flaw.

It's not that bad actually... It's like the 5800 and I can't complain. You just have to get used to it, press a little harder than on an iPhone. Actually after 1 week of usage of both (iPhone and 5800) I could type much better on the 5800 :| don't know why... Supposedly it should be the other way around...

Now after 1 month and a half I never miss a "key" or anything :) Once you get used to it it just works great :)

It's not that bad actually... It's like the 5800 and I can't complain. You just have to get used to it, press a little harder than on an iPhone. Actually after 1 week of usage of both (iPhone and 5800) I could type much better on the 5800 :| don't know why... Supposedly it should be the other way around...

Now after 1 month and a half I never miss a "key" or anything :) Once you get used to it it just works great :)

Yeah like i say it's only minor and easy to adapt to atleast it doesn't have the tapping on glass feeling which is one of downsides to typing on ipod touch imo.

Hmmmm, low spec?

It's a mobile phone running symbian, don't expect core i7 975 in it with 12GB ram ;)

I'm definately interested in this phone. I just cancelled my Vodafone contract in preparation of the release of the N97 & new iPhone, as I aint a fan of Vodafone and will look at getting a better price plan.

Also a fan of the HTC Touch Pro 2, but I aint too sure about how the screen hinges, looks like it will break really easily!!

So at mo it is HTC TP2, N97 or New iPhone.

God I hate decisions about tech like this, as this phone will be my phone for the next 12-18 months.

Seen some previews of the camera which coming from a person with only a crap VGA camera looks brilliant (current nseries users probably not as impressed as it's only slightly improved over the N95 5Mpxl) The video for nHD resolution actually looks and sounds really good on youtube.

@scazza yeah the TP2 looks nice however i'm not too sure about their hinge mechanism too as it looked like it would be easily broken or potentially be a bit flimsy further into its life. The N97 has a solid mechanism they really done a good job on it as it's sturdy and solid however very flexible and easy to use. I would recommend the N97 based on software as I have been looking at ovi store and some applications which look really great for entertainment and social service(s) and symbian software works really nice and looks just as good. I would say Ovi store can hold its own against apple app store. I've not had good experience with Windows mobile in the past with 5.x and 6.0 so yeah depends what your main functions are to what way you should lean but the n97 is a well rounded solid package of a phone, services, features and quality.

I don't really want to start ranting about iphone so i will leave it at that.

@scazza yeah the TP2 looks nice however i'm not too sure about their hinge mechanism too as it looked like it would be easily broken or potentially be a bit flimsy further into its life. The N97 has a solid mechanism they really done a good job on it as it's sturdy and solid however very flexible and easy to use. I would recommend the N97 based on software as I have been looking at ovi store and some applications which look really great for entertainment and social service(s) and symbian software works really nice and looks just as good. I would say Ovi store can hold its own against apple app store. I've not had good experience with Windows mobile in the past with 5.x and 6.0 so yeah depends what your main functions are to what way you should lean but the n97 is a well rounded solid package of a phone, services, features and quality.

I don't really want to start ranting about iphone so i will leave it at that.

Im glad someone else feels the same about the hinge of the TP2!! Like you said about the N97's it looks solid and much more less likely to break! I'm glad you have said some good things about the Symbian OS as tbh, the only thing I do not like about Nokia's is the ugly interface. As coming from an iPhone which has such a great looking interface, the Symbian OS (looks wise) seems to be a step backwards. But I am sure I will get used to it.

In regards to the iPhone, mine isnt going anywhere, it is mine and I doubt I will sell it once I get a new one, but I am looking forward to see what Apple unveil at WWDC in regards to the new one. I am interested in the new iPhone, Im not going to deny it, but there will need to be some serious hardware changes for me to get it as I can get OS3.0 for my 2G iPhone.

Yeah the only good thing really about iphone is the UI of the software but imo it ends about there. I agree that symbian isn't the prettiest but I believe they lean on making things connected anf functional first which is fair enough imo, similar to approach microsoft make with Winmo and they've made it better with 6.5 and Symbian S60 5th edition (n97 and 5800 etc version) is getting better too but once you settle into its functionality starts becoming irellevant i guess. It's like a picture it doesn't matter if it's done in pencil or coloured paint as long as the artist is profficient you'll get a great image. Ovi store and services have been a huge step up for nokia, before lacking it was the only thing which held it back previously imo. They are all on level playing field now really.

I can understand not letting go of original iphone, i have an ipod touch 1G and jailbroken it's a good fun easy MID/PMP which i will still keep hold of even with a nokia n97 it's always good to have a back up and also be able to keep up to scratch and play on both teams to apperciate the ups and downs of each device and its features.

Also on side note I'm not 100% sure but i think symbian can be themed/customized to an extent too.

It will be interesting to see what apple do pull out at WWDC but i don't really buy into their hype no more after seeing the mess they made with the ipod touch. They can make cool features to brag about and show off and stuff but it's usually the stuff they don't tell you up front which is like a large rock in a pond so i'm not holding my breath as the features and things i'm after just aren't in apples feature list/road map for mobile devices.

Yeah the only good thing really about iphone is the UI of the software but imo it ends about there. I agree that symbian isn't the prettiest but I believe they lean on making things connected anf functional first which is fair enough imo, similar to approach microsoft make with Winmo and they've made it better with 6.5 and Symbian S60 5th edition (n97 and 5800 etc version) is getting better too but once you settle into its functionality starts becoming irellevant i guess. It's like a picture it doesn't matter if it's done in pencil or coloured paint as long as the artist is profficient you'll get a great image. Ovi store and services have been a huge step up for nokia, before lacking it was the only thing which held it back previously imo. They are all on level playing field now really.

I can understand not letting go of original iphone, i have an ipod touch 1G and jailbroken it's a good fun easy MID/PMP which i will still keep hold of even with a nokia n97 it's always good to have a back up and also be able to keep up to scratch and play on both teams to apperciate the ups and downs of each device and its features.

Also on side note I'm not 100% sure but i think symbian can be themed/customized to an extent too.

It will be interesting to see what apple do pull out at WWDC but i don't really buy into their hype no more after seeing the mess they made with the ipod touch. They can make cool features to brag about and show off and stuff but it's usually the stuff they don't tell you up front which is like a large rock in a pond so i'm not holding my breath as the features and things i'm after just aren't in apples feature list/road map for mobile devices.

If the Symbian OS can be themed/customized, then that adds alot to it as I'm sure I'll be looking into that if I get the N97.

The only thing that will really put me off getting the new iPhone will be the Price Plans that O2 in the UK will offer with it. I'm not going to sign up to an 18 month contract of sh!te just for the phone. I want value for money and if I dont get that I wont buy it.

For instance a ?40pm Price Plan for the 3G iPhone, I think that included something like 600 mins and 600 texts with unlimited web.

I am paying ?40pm on Vodafone and I get 750 minutes and Unlimited texts with unlimited web (this was taken 18 months ago so there are much better plans out there now)

I dont want to be losing out on texts/minutes and having to pay more a month either for the iPhone, where I can a decent price plan, which I can get the N97 on a decent monthly tarriff.

If the Symbian OS can be themed/customized, then that adds alot to it as I'm sure I'll be looking into that if I get the N97.

The only thing that will really put me off getting the new iPhone will be the Price Plans that O2 in the UK will offer with it. I'm not going to sign up to an 18 month contract of sh!te just for the phone. I want value for money and if I dont get that I wont buy it.

For instance a ?40pm Price Plan for the 3G iPhone, I think that included something like 600 mins and 600 texts with unlimited web.

I am paying ?40pm on Vodafone and I get 750 minutes and Unlimited texts with unlimited web (this was taken 18 months ago so there are much better plans out there now)

I dont want to be losing out on texts/minutes and having to pay more a month either for the iPhone, where I can a decent price plan, which I can get the N97 on a decent monthly tarriff.

Yeah for sure, if only vodafone here had a similar plan but then again ?40 = $100 NZD a month which is way high lol not to mention nothing is "unlimited" on what they offer, which sucks lol just like the cost of 16GB iphone at end of contract costing the owner in vicinity of $6,400 NZD (?2,500) over 24 months purely based on plans not including extras.

I'm just going to bite the bullet and get something sufficient and effective for N97 as possible.

One minor down side i found out too i dunno if it's a big deal to you either or whether it's circumventable but apparently vodafone UK will be pulling skype feature from n97s there so yeah.

I'm stuck between the N97 and TP2 as well. I've always had a Nokia phone and I have nothing to complain about them, I just feel like I want to try another brand this time. The HTC Touch Pro 2 looks really nice.

I'm stuck between the N97 and TP2 as well. I've always had a Nokia phone and I have nothing to complain about them, I just feel like I want to try another brand this time. The HTC Touch Pro 2 looks really nice.

Yeah now doubt but as we said try before you buy so you can be satisfied with the sliding mechanism cause last thing you want is new phone to break easily not that i'm saying it will or not just looks like it could after sometime based on videos/pictures.

I was actually looking at the N96 earlier on my quest for a new phone. So far I've crossed-off the X1, Touch Diamond, Touch Diamond 2 and iPhone. At the moment I'm looking at the N96 and the Samsung innov8 (i8510). The main thing that puts me off the N96 is the lack of a lens cover. How is it for sound quality? I'm using a SE K750 at present and the sound is great (I use my phone as an mp3 player). The problem is that it's very hard to actually find these phones instore where I can try them out myself. And for every post wher someone talks up a feature, you'll find another where someone else says it's rubbish and some other phone does it better...

N96 isn't worth the cost, in my opinion. Not much of an improvement on the N95 at all, and it costs almost double.

If you can, I'd say wait for the N97.

I was actually looking at the N96 earlier on my quest for a new phone. So far I've crossed-off the X1, Touch Diamond, Touch Diamond 2 and iPhone. At the moment I'm looking at the N96 and the Samsung innov8 (i8510). The main thing that puts me off the N96 is the lack of a lens cover. How is it for sound quality? I'm using a SE K750 at present and the sound is great (I use my phone as an mp3 player). The problem is that it's very hard to actually find these phones instore where I can try them out myself. And for every post wher someone talks up a feature, you'll find another where someone else says it's rubbish and some other phone does it better...

Maybe look at N95 8GB if you want a lense conver and phone available now or you can wait a little longer for N86 which is slated for july shipping. It's successor to N85/N96 i believe it has the little stand and lense cover can see demo pictures here as for price I would have to agree with Doon1468 the n96 doesn't really offer much up from N95 8GB and if you like that form factor design I'd say wait for N86. Otherwise if you like the look and features of the N97 it's got 3.5mm headset bluetooth etc and has good sound quality from what i've seen. The N97 has plenty of capacity storage for music with 32-48GB too which is positive if you like plenty of music while on the go and it will support like 5800 nokias comes with music thing.

Capacitative touchscreen ???

not a fan of resistive

I made mistake earlier thinking it was capacitive but the N97 uses resistive non multi touch. It may not be greatest for some but considering there's 2 different input methods on the N97 for basic management use and navigation resistive is fine and i imagine as you can ask anaron on 5800 it can actually be quite good once you get use to it.

Still debating about the n97 or samsung omnia hd or the next iphone.

Samsung omnia hd - 16 gb, 8 mpixel cam, Good hd video recording, AMOLED screen, Faster CPU and Graphics, capacitive touch screen and I've seen the samsung for 800 dollars online.

Nokia - Slide out keyboard, 32 gb, 5 mpixel, resistive touchscreen. 603 dollars from amazon.

I'm wondering whats better for music. Still waiting for the specs of the iphone though.

Without a doubt the N97 only for its keyboard :)

Its too bad cell phones dont use high quality audio processors. I have to carry around a 40GB PMP to listen to high quality music and the N97 if its audio output was high quality would be the perfect replacement (sell my E70 and my PMP I would have about half of the money needed to buy the N97)

Hmmmm, low spec?

...I didnt know phones had 128MB ram.

Seen some previews of the camera which coming from a person with only a crap VGA camera looks brilliant (current nseries users probably not as impressed as it's only slightly improved over the N95 5Mpxl) The video for nHD resolution actually looks and sounds really good on youtube.

Could you post some of the previews please?

Is the interface similar to the Nokia 5800? A mate has just got one as an upgrade and I don't like the UI. To me it seems slow and you really have to press down hard on the screen for it to respond.

The N97 looks very impressive, but think i'll wait for the new iPhone.

Is the interface similar to the Nokia 5800? A mate has just got one as an upgrade and I don't like the UI. To me it seems slow and you really have to press down hard on the screen for it to respond.

The N97 looks very impressive, but think i'll wait for the new iPhone.

My Nokia E70 released May 2006 kicks the iPhone's ass in every aspect (and it actually had 3G before the iPhone had)

The iPhone is not worth it (IMO).

My Nokia E70 released May 2006 kicks the iPhone's ass in every aspect (and it actually had 3G before the iPhone had)

The iPhone is not worth it (IMO).

That is one ugly phone though. Was it a fully-3G phone?

If its not free on ?35p/m tariffs like the current one, then I doubt I'll get one. I refuse to pay for phones on a contract.

That is one ugly phone though. Was it a fully-3G phone?

If its not free on ?35p/m tariffs like the current one, then I doubt I'll get one. I refuse to pay for phones on a contract.

Yes it has 100% 3G. And I have it unlocked with prepaid.

You perfer a "pretty" (I say pretty with " ") more expensive with less features such as the iPhone before a "ugly" (I say ugly with " ") less expensive with more features such as the Nokia E70?

This, my friends, is why the world is slowing getting dumber and dumber....