Nokia N97

My friend told me one other thing that I can't get past with iPhone. Seems like when you upgrade firmware... most of your old apps break (probably because dependencies or something) and a lot of times the backup won't completely restore so you wind up losing information. Lets not forget that iPhone just added MMS and Stereo Bluetooth (my old nokia candy bar phone had this feature....)

Well it might break apps but just to be fair here, it's not like Nokia offers anywhere near the level of support through updates for Symbian as Apple (and a few other OS's) do. Yes you get point releases, mainly to fix problems and tweak the odd thing here and there but hardly anything like what iPhone users get. You can argue that Apple just added features that should have been there day one, fair enough, but the point is they added them. They certainly don't provide upgrade paths from 9.1 to 9.2 to 9.3 ect.

Thats after owning three Nokia devices, most recent being the N95 8GB for 18 months or so. It certainly got minor updates but nothing you would ever get too excited over.

Ohh and having used Symbian as the basis of a thesis for an application I wrote...at least with 9.2 there was plenty of things which had been rendered incompatible since 9.1 was released. It's just that without much of an App store at the time such breaks really don't make as big a echo as when Apple breaks things in a good number of apps in its own store.

I own an ipod touch so i've had full experience with it in relation to software doesn't really matter hardly compared to iphone (of course when it comes to speed 3GS is better) but when it comes to things like how fast an application opens that's really just clawing at edges in a review/opinion. I'm looking forward to getting n97 for not only personal but business use. After experiencing ipod touch it's really driven me away from want/hype of iphone. Both nokia and apple have a different focus with their phones. Nokia aims at obviously giving people an entire good spread with both hardware and a good solid software platform with symbian. Apple has far too much focus on their software and their hardware is obviously lacking and of course it comes down to a personal preference but as a general oversight of n97 to iphone just basic features like a keypad are huge because it's like HP touch PC yeah it's all good and dandy for occasional use but if you're a serious user of computers typing on a screen all the time would drive you nuts and it's the same with phones really and nokia has really nailed it with a nice balance of everything in the n97 and by no means am i calling it the best but it is the best all rounded solid package in a phone that I've seen out of any of the major players.

I own an ipod touch so i've had full experience with it in relation to software doesn't really matter hardly compared to iphone (of course when it comes to speed 3GS is better) but when it comes to things like how fast an application opens that's really just clawing at edges in a review/opinion. I'm looking forward to getting n97 for not only personal but business use. After experiencing ipod touch it's really driven me away from want/hype of iphone. Both nokia and apple have a different focus with their phones. Nokia aims at obviously giving people an entire good spread with both hardware and a good solid software platform with symbian. Apple has far too much focus on their software and their hardware is obviously lacking and of course it comes down to a personal preference but as a general oversight of n97 to iphone just basic features like a keypad are huge because it's like HP touch PC yeah it's all good and dandy for occasional use but if you're a serious user of computers typing on a screen all the time would drive you nuts and it's the same with phones really and nokia has really nailed it with a nice balance of everything in the n97 and by no means am i calling it the best but it is the best all rounded solid package in a phone that I've seen out of any of the major players.

Typing on the screen doesn't drive many people nuts...

Typing on the screen doesn't drive many people nuts...

PURELY personal preference..

I for one like to feel where the buttons are for when im typing..imaging typing this on a keyboard without buttons and was just a piece of flat plastic..?

I hope for a world where the N97 has Android and maybe Sense UI..ahh :)

Things we noticed. The N97 is much faster loading things. For instance. He wanted to show me the wifi (netstumbler) or something like that. Took at least 2 minutes to find all the access points. Opened wifi on the N97 and it found all the access points almost instantly. We were doing a bluetooth search. Noticed one very important thing. Seems like iPhone only sees other apple devices!?

My friend told me one other thing that I can't get past with iPhone. Seems like when you upgrade firmware... most of your old apps break (probably because dependencies or something) and a lot of times the backup won't completely restore so you wind up losing information. Lets not forget that iPhone just added MMS and Stereo Bluetooth (my old nokia candy bar phone had this feature....)

Displaying available WiFi connections is quick and easier on the iPhone - Settings > WiFi > Switch ON and it will display a lift almost instantaneously. My friend has a Nokia 5800 which uses the same version of Symbian as the N97 and its a lot slower (and harder!) to use than the iPhone.

If your friend went out an bought an N97 to replace the iPhone 3G then there is something wrong with him/her!

I have both n97 and the 3g. I think they are just as slow except the iphone takes a while to load things sometimes especially the messages app, maybe its because i have a bunch of apps installed. The n97 is faster in clock speed compared to the 5800 too and according to other people it is more responsive than the 5800 as well.

Does anyone know whether O2 UK will be stocking the N97? I've heard so many different reports saying yes and no. Has anyone got one yet?

• 1 month later...

Lots of awesome fixes coming this October.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/07/nokia-n...or-pain-points/

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&hl=en&fs=1">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

im currently on 02 and either want an iphone or this, however, o2 don't offer anywhere near what i want on contract terms, ?30-?35/month minimum 500 minutes and unlimited texts, and i also want unlimited internet, vodafone...?35/month 900 minutes, unlimtied texts and interent.....think i'll be getting the n97 next mon:D :D

• 3 weeks later...

just got a text from nokia saying theres now an important phone update available, guess it might be that ^ but nokia doesn't usually release things before they say

but, when i go on the sofware update on the phone it displays the update, then says it needs to be installed through your pc, but the pc software update app says theres no updates :(

anyone else getting this problem?

Edited by addc182